Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question on Thunderbird Storm Rear Brake Pad Replacement

I have a 2013 Thunderbird Storm (with ABS) and am replacing brake pads on both front and rear.

I have the shop manual and while the front pad replacement seems straightforward, the instructions for the rear call for the rear wheel to be removed before the caliper can be removed and pads replaced.

Can anyone tell me if I really need to remove the rear wheel to remove the rear caliper?

Visually, this doesn't make sense and seems like overkill, but I don't want to start to remove the rear caliper and run into a mess.

Thanks.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi TStorm, yes you can do it with the wheel still on (pace the manual), just a bit fiddly, and don't lose that little pin (or put it back wrong - best look carefully at how it looks assembled before getting into it). It's easier with the wheel off, so I tend to change rear pads when I'm doing a tyre change just for efficiency. cheers - Pat

·
Registered
171 Posts
What pads are you all going with?

I dont ride a lot but my 2013 Storm (2700miles) front pads squeek a lot!
Getting anoying.

Thinking about changing the pads out, hoping it stops the squeek

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I had a small front brake squeal all last summer. It happened just as the bike was coming to a stop. Annoying. Now the back is doing the same. I'm not even sure how long the stock pads are supposed to last on average. Anyone know? Billy

·
Registered
171 Posts
Same here, they only squeal when im almost stopped or rolling to a stop. On highway or whatever no squeal. Any clues?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What pads are you all going with?

I dont ride a lot but my 2013 Storm (2700miles) front pads squeek a lot!
Getting anoying.

Thinking about changing the pads out, hoping it stops the squeek
So, I removed the fronts and checked wear which I thought was surprisingly low for 11000 miles. Conservatively, I'd guess there was 25% pad life left. However, the right inside pad was worn more than the others which suggests a piston hang up on that side. Between that issue and just plain wanting to try new pads, but went with the ECMs.

I cleaned the pistons and am expecting the hang up to go away, but will check regularly.

Frankly, I was expecting more from the ECM brake pads. They feel exactly the same to me as the OEM Triumph pads and the OEMs have the helpful wear lines cut into the pad to make it easier to see where you are with pad life.

I'd go back to OEMs next time for the simpler way of determining wear.

I finally got the rear off and it was worn LESS than the fronts. I use the rear brake a lot and was told to expect near double rear wear to front wear. I ended up saving the ECM rears for a later date.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Im barely @ 2700 miles and wanting to change them out. But I do a lot of city riding which should wear them out quicker with stop and go traffic. But still, if mine are worn out at 2700 miles, thats gotta suck.

Its just that squeek thats getting annoying

·
Registered
174 Posts
Squealing brakes (metal scrapping sound) is one thing, but Squeaking is another. If your breaks are just squeaking, and your bike has low miles, then there's a probability that the pads are fine. Squeaking can be caused by vibrations in the pad. To eliminate the annoying squeak, purchase these two items. The red "disc brake quiet" is applied to the back of the pad and the "brake Caliper Grease" is applied to the sliding pin. Also get a can of brake cleaner and clean everything good before applying these products. My bike developed annoying squeaking brakes at about 1000 miles. After I applied these products the brakes haven't made a peep since.

·
Registered
133 Posts
11,000 miles on a set of pads sounds incredible to me. I do a lot of in town riding and my fronts last half as long as the rears. I use the front brakes much more than the rears. 80% of your stopping power is in the front brakes by the way. I usually have to change my front pads about every 6-8000 miles. I have a 1700 Commander.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
11,000 miles on a set of pads sounds incredible to me. I do a lot of in town riding and my fronts last half as long as the rears. I use the front brakes much more than the rears. 80% of your stopping power is in the front brakes by the way. I usually have to change my front pads about every 6-8000 miles. I have a 1700 Commander.
I thought the wear I was seeing at 11k seemed incredible, too. I was expecting front and rears to be down to the nubs. I've done a number of long distance trips so perhaps that explains it. Or maybe I need to take it in a bit deeper :wink2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same squeaky problem with the fronts. I applied brake grease to the back of the pads where they meet the caliper. I also cleaned and greased the rod that holds the pads in place. Problem solved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts