Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wow, you are a man of outstanding patience. Truly a horror story. I hope you never have a problem with any bike you own for the rest of your life. You have had more than your fill.

Ride Safe

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Well, i do agree with all your feelings about triumph at this point. But there is one thing i have to say is that i don't agree with triumph's "poor quality products". If anything triumph has shown the bike world just how good they are with it's many awards, great reviews, and profits that soared in years where other manufacturers (harley especially) lost big time. You got very unlucky, and i agree they treated you like [email protected] and need to make amends. But most manufacturers will do the same in a certain percentage of instances. Triumph is no worse than average, tho it of course will not feel that way if it's YOU that happened to be one of the small percentage that were so horribly treated. But the bikes themselves are anything but poor quality. The R3 was a bit of an exception in that it was probably thier most problematic model, but all others have been very reliable. Yours was simply one of the small percent of bikes that falls into the lemon category, a category that no manufacturer escapes. Only when the percentage goes higher than normal can it be said that the products are poor quality. The japanese have been quoted to have said, and i'm paraphrasing here due to memory, that triumph was building sporties that they couldn't even match.

I don't mean to belittle your dilemma, because you are entitled to feel as you do. But like 99% of people who own triumphs, i am more than pleased with mine as i was with my last one. Both very reliable and a pleasure to ride.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Quality Issue

I just want to say I am not saying Triumph is a maker of of poor quality bikes. Quite the opposite, I made reference to my two bikes being of poor quality. I too have lots of friends who are very happy with their triumph. So Please do not think I am crapping on the brand as a whole. I am just pi--ed off with my own problems and the lousy way Triumph Australia have treated me.

I mean a cap and a t-shirt seriously.

Regards
Graeme

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I have had 5 lemons in the past 40 years...only one was a motorcycle (Harley) and I have learned one thing. When you get a lemon make sure you trade it in within 90 days of the warranty expiration. OR if you think the bike is fixed and want to keep it...then buy the extended warranty.

The only thing worse than a lemon in warranty is one out of warranty that you have to pay for out of your pocket.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Triumph Gone never to see me again

Well I have ended the saga this afternoon,

Triumph Gold Coast offered to buy my bike off me this afternoon, something they did not have to do. They gave me more then I was offered as a trade in on my new RoadKing by the Harley dealer.

If you ever want a great dealership to deal with then I can highly recommend the guys a Gold Coast Triumph, MV Augusta, Husqvarna, Hyosung in Nerang on the Gold Coast, Queensland Australia.

Jeremy in service has bent over backwards to help me as has Leon in spares and Rob in bike sales. Fantastic people to deal with and will go the extra mile to help out. So if your looking for a new bike in any of these brands I can certainly recommend them.

Triumph Australia on the other hand can go get stuffed and Jam their Cap and T-shirt offer square up their backside.

I know many of you dislike Harley which is cool but after having owned 3 with no problems and 2 Triumphs with huge problems I must disagree.

Here's hoping the Roadking is good to me and I enjoy it for what it is.

I have a very very understanding wife who has endured my obsession from the outset.

Thank-you to all for your comments and support it has been great.

Unfortunately for me I will never purchase a triumph product again, which is a shame but after my dealings with Triumph Australia, I would not give them 5 cents of my hard earned cash.

I wish you all the very best, Stay upright and enjoy the ride no matter what.

Regards
Graeme
The Gold Coast:)
Australia

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Wow, i wish i had a dealer like that ! As to triumph Australia, our USA headquarters isn't any better. From all i've seen it seems as tho the main company in the UK are good at doing right by their customers, but that the various country's headquarters and the dealers have agendas that cause them not to be honest or lie thru omission to the UK when contacting them regarding customer complaints and warranty issues. I think if we could communicate directly with the main HQ in the UK we'd all get far better CS.

·
Registered
42 Posts
sounds like a nightmare graeme! i had a problem with my street triple battery in the first week and had to give the bike back for a few days and that was enough to wind me right up! shame you got such a problematic bike cos i love the look of the Storm and it seems like a great bike, but hopefully all will be ok with the new one and it brings some much needed enjoyment. Harley's have a funny, polarising reputation amongst bikers, but at the end of the day it's your bike, so get what you want and make the most of it. i'm partial to a bit of Harley style myself and i'm not ashamed to say it ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
A couple of concerns about this issue.

1. Good on Gold Coast Triumph for doing this but, why would the dealer buy a bike that it did not originally sell (and therefore no obligation to graeme) and given they know all about the problems concerning the bike?

2. Given the coverage this site has, I believe anyone looking to buy a used Storm will probably know about this particular bike and consequently giving the dealer a miss (if it's put in their sale lot).

If I was in the market for a used Storm in South East Queensland, I'd be doing my homework.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
A couple of concerns about this issue.

1. Good on Gold Coast Triumph for doing this but, why would the dealer buy a bike that it did not originally sell (and therefore no obligation to graeme) and given they know all about the problems concerning the bike?

2. Given the coverage this site has, I believe anyone looking to buy a used Storm will probably know about this particular bike and consequently giving the dealer a miss (if it's put in their sale lot).

If I was in the market for a used Storm in South East Queensland, I'd be doing my homework.

Cheers
You never know, the next owner could ride it for a decade trouble free after that much re-work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Definately a horror story! I probably would of bought the second triumph after all the problems with the RIII myself. I however have owned 3 Triumphs and have had the following issues:

09 Speedmaster - Tachometer failed, replaced under warranty, no other problems
10 Street Triple - Rectifier failers, replaced under warranty, no other problems
10 Thunderbird - Coolant leak, loose hose clamp, fixed under warranty no other problems

I pray I never experience those kinds of issues and so far have been happy with the reliability of my bikes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hello all,

Yes I will never purchase another triumph and funnily enough neither will my friends. I only have 20 odd guys I normally ride with and none of them will touch one. But triumph Australia didn't seem to care.

As for triumph gold coast I am sure they have faith in the bike. I don't. As I said before these guys were very understanding and helpful so I cannot say one bad thing about them.

As I told the clowns at triumph Australia I change my bikes every 18 months or so but that did not concern them. So I will stick with what I know. I hope no one else has any of these problems with any brand of bike.

Regards
Graeme

·
Registered
469 Posts
So how is that Road King treating you? I was recently in a LARGE ride (first 750 bikes registered got a ride pin) 99% Harley riders. It ended at the local fairgrounds and part of the festivities was a raffle to benefit Breast Cancer and the prize was a 2011 Road Glide. Drooled over it for a bit, and bought $20 worth of tickets. Didn't win it, but sure wouldn't have minded having it in my garage. I've ridden, Ducati's, Kawasaki's, Honda's, Triumph's, Victory's but never a Harley - at some point I need to ride them - hard to form an opinion when I've never put a mile on one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Cannot compare the two

Hi all,
I am not making this statement because of my tbird issues but the Roadking sh-ts all over the triumph in quality comfort and handling. I like the tbird and it's riding position. This is my 4th hd. I had 2010 Roadking and it was brilliant. Only reason I got rid of it was because of being followed home twice. My two triumphs have been terrible so nothing will convince me otherwise.:D

The thunderbird storm was a nice bike but in my own humble opinion it's nothing compared to my Roadking.

This is my own opinion and that's all it is.
Regards
Graeme

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
So now I hate it and want to get rid of it.

Very very upset
Has anyone else had some of these issues?
This thread started more than a month ago, and you concluded your first post with the quote above. I think the dye was cast then and the outcome was predictable.
With all the issues you had that's understandable; however the irrefutable fact is that your experience is completely out of sync with the experience of the vast majority of Triumph, and especially Thunderbird owners.
I'm please you're now happy and hope you remain satisfied with your RK. You certainly go through a lot of bikes - sort of a restless shopper! Maybe the thrill for you is getting something new and different and then the excitment fades.
Anyway, now that you're delighted with this particular HD, and certain Triumph sucks, I suppose you'll move on to HD forums where you can find others who agree with you.
Me, I think Triumph makes great bikes, and I think the Thunderbird is exceptional, and that sentiment seems to resinate with the folks here. I don't mind discussing the faults of my bike - but there aren't many - so I don't spend too much time dwelling on them. Or for that matter dwelling on benefits of other brands which I don't prefer.
Good luck to you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Reply to older grey bull

Mate.
I have not bagged triumph as whole if you have bothered to read my posts. I only don't rate it for my two bikes. I am very well aware of triumphs reputation.

I would not have bought 2 otherwise.

What a condescending person you are, I don't use forums in general and my initial post was a question. As for my more recent posts they are in reply to other persons who have posted.

As for my buying habits they are nothing to do with excitement or boredom.
I cannot help if the rocket 3 was useless one bike got stolen the next was being followed. Etc etc. I do not enjoy forking out 10k every time.

So please keep your ill informed and condescending comments to yourself.
Regards
Graeme

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Hi all,
I am not making this statement because of my tbird issues but the Roadking sh-ts all over the triumph in quality comfort and handling. I like the tbird and it's riding position. This is my 4th hd. I had 2010 Roadking and it was brilliant. Only reason I got rid of it was because of being followed home twice. My two triumphs have been terrible so nothing will convince me otherwise.:D

The thunderbird storm was a nice bike but in my own humble opinion it's nothing compared to my Roadking.

This is my own opinion and that's all it is.
Regards
Graeme
Ok, Graeme. I think we got the picture. You are really pissed off with Triumph. I know the feeling...had the same experience with HD. But I would buy another because I know that lemon bikes are a statistical anomaly. The bike I had should have had the entire 2006 Dyna model year recalled. But Harley Davidson decided to run from that responsibility. So, nothing different. Enjoy your Road King. Ride safe.

BTW, everyone knows a Road King carves up the twisties better than a Storm. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
With all due respect, the one thing i just have a hard time with is that you say your harley is a much better bike. As reliability goes, no doubt, as you've had the worse luck i have heard of with the triumphs. Had 2 myself and they've been dead reliable. But I just can't help but think your saying the HD is a much better bike in all other respects aside from reliability is due to your anger with the issues. I can't help but think that because i have seen uncountable HD owners come to the Tbird and every one w/o exception cites the Tbird as a far superior bike. So has every magazine article thats has done shootouts between the Tbird and other bikes which always includes a harley.By the way, my buddy's bro has the same HD as you and after riding mine he was blown away by it.

Like i said, i'm not trying to disrespect you or say you're lying, but with all i have seen regarding opinions on the bike compared to HD, you are literally the only person to say the Tbird is not only not as good but that the harley is much better. The only one that has not said the exact opposite. In fact, i can't think of ANY product ever that i recall where users unanimously have all said it's far superior. So i just have a really hard time believing you aren't saying that out of frustration or anger with the Tbird and triumph.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Sorry if I misunderstood you, I did not mean to offend.
I simply took you literally when you said, "... the Roadking sh-ts all over the triumph in quality comfort and handling" and "My two triumphs have been terrible so nothing will convince me otherwise" and "it's (your TB) nothing compared to my Roadking". Sounds pretty definitive to me - got it, understood. Or maybe not; that's not what you meant?
However if you're going to continue to pound away on that theme, I'll continue to point out that your oppinion - which you have every right to voice - is based on experiences which are very unusual and not consistent with what the majority of other owners have reported - including myself. That's my oppinion and it's not uniformed...
But you are right, I have no idea what your motivations are, so I should have kept my thoughts about that to myself. I was just trying to rationalize some reason for your dogmatic and absolute statements.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts