Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone else has had some of the problems I have experienced.
1. Both fork legs damaged during shipping
2. Coolant leak bottom of motor
3. Coolant leak top of motor
4. High revving sitting near 2000 rpm
5. Engine management lights on temp light on
6. Won't start
7. Welded chrome piece falling off the exhaust
8. Strange gas (not fuel) type smell when you pull up

The bike is brand new I have put 3500km on it and this is what I have had so far happen on this bike.

The guys at the Gold Coast Triumph Queensland dealership have been fantastic and very helpful considering I purchased it whilst living in Sydney, New South Wales.

I had an engine management issue with an 04 rocket 3 as well as the screw falling out of the gear selector into the motor. A nightmare to say the least.

I have had previous dealings with triumph Australia with my Rocket 3 they were helpful, but the dealer ended up being useless one. I ended up with more problems then it went in for and was told by the dealer it wasn't there fault.
7 weeks this went on for until I rode it straight into Harley Davidson Newcastle and lost a lot of money getting rid of it.

I went back to Harley with no problems mechanical, it just got stolen and then I was followed home twice on on the new one. So along comes the BMW R1200GSA which I really enjoyed.

Then I saw the new Storm, I loved the look of it and how it rode, so I got rid of the BMW and bought the storm only to have all this misery.

So now I hate it and want to get rid of it.

Very very upset
Has anyone else had some of these issues?

To add insult to injury try contacting Triumph (England/Australia) by Email. No chance

Regards
Graeme
Gold coast
Australia

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
unfortunately there are always a few lemons with any brand/model. There have been one or two with a lot of issues, but other than that these have been much more reliable and solid then they had a right to be, being a brand new model. So I understand you wanting to get rid of it. But if you can get triumph to get you a new one in it's place i'm sure you'll find none of those issue. I don't know whether there are lemon laws there, but you might want to look into that and see if it meets any requirements then get a lawyer to write a letter to triumph showing the bike legally meets the requirements of the law that make them liable to replace the bike. They really should. I just don't know if Australia has any laws like our lemon law.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
You know, i fear one of the reasons is the the dealer is likely NOT pulling for you because as i understand it the companies do not pay the dealer the full wage for warranty work. In fact i have heard triumph is worse than most bike brands. So often the dealer just doesn't want to bother and may not try hard to get triumph to approve or even lie about it. Sad.....you pay 15 grand for a toy and thats what you get. Ain't right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Life in Australia

We pay 24000 dollars for these bikes in Australia they are 22000 plus what we call on road costs 24k. Considering our dollar is on par with the American dollar, So you can see why its so frustrating. I am over it and try contacting triumph directly, you have more chance of talking to the President.

:mad:

Thanks for the replies.
Regards
Graeme

·
Banned
530 Posts
You have every reason to be upsest Id be doing the same as well . Id demand my money back from the dealer with threats of stories in the local newspapers and the motorcycle press. As Daz says theres a lemon somwhere and over the two forums it seems we have found two. Unfortunatly yours sounds like one of them.

Its a shame as the bike is fantastic but I think I would have lost confidence as well now . In fact I would have driven it into the dealership on a saturday morning locked it alarmed it on the show room floor and left a solicitors letter on the desk saying that the machine is not fit for purpose you want you money back .

Its also a shame as my experience with Triumph has been nothing but purfect. Fork replacment , engine cover replacement (cost them nearly 700 quid ) new mirror as moisture got behind the mirror . All sorted with no problems.

Ok I know these are not major issues mechanicaly but still the dealer bent over backwards to get it sorted and Triumph took the dealer for thier word and sorted everthing for me with no questions.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
In the US, for cars, we have a national "Lemon Law."

It's been a while, but as I remember there are certain criteria, that when met, the manufacturer must give you a new vehicle with a modest charge for mileage driven. My memory says that after 3 unsuccessful attempts at repairing the same problem, the law kicks in.

As for dealer making money on warantee, I doubt it. The factory flat hourly rate is usually ridiculously low. And the factory will almost never pay for 2 attempts to fix the same problem.

Hopefully the great country of my grand father, Austrailia, has a similar law..

·
Registered
419 Posts
You are the first I have heard of with this many problems. Doesn't help your situation though.
Time to get it replaced, period.

They are great bikes and I think you would be totally satisified with a replacement.

Sorry to hear about your troubles

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank-you

I just wanted to say thank-you to everyone for their kind words and support. I will let you know the outcome, hopefully the bike might come back to me in the next couple of days. It's already been a week too long without it.

regards to you all,
Graeme :(

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have had a company provided car for the last 18 years, and have had lots of experience with service departments. In my experience - find a shop you can trust the "most" and then follow up - not with phone calls - but go in and see them face to face - it is MUCH harder for them to put your off or give you the run around to your face than it is over the phone. Ask to see your bike - ask to see paperwork on what's been done so far - ask what is the hold up - ask if there is anything YOU can do to help THEM get it done faster - offer to call Triumph for them - take your kids (true story) into their waiting room or showroom and don't tell them to be quiet and let them put sticky fingerprints all over the bikes and glass cased merchandise - give them every incentive to want to see your tail light exiting their parking lot. Good luck to you!

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
It strikes me that if both forks were damaged in shipment and then later a piece of chrome fell of the exhaust, it sounds like the bike may have experienced some very rough treatment prior to delivery to you. Perhaps some of the other issues you are experiencing can be traced back to that (coolant leaks?). I'd emphasize the fact that there was evidence of problems (damage) before you ever took possesion.
As the thousands of postings on this site and on other sites demonstrate, by and large T-bird owners are a satisfied lot.
It's unfortunate and unfair that you're having so many issues. I hope you can get this resolved quickly - good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I have had lemons with General Motors (twice) and Harley Davidson (once). The Harley was repaired to my satisfaction...GM did nothing but make excuses. Getting a quality vehicle/motorcycle is unfortunately a lottery in my opinion. But the reports on the TBird are really good so you must just have been unlucky. After having gone through this I can only recommend you request some type of allowance from Triumph and get a new bike.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
It strikes me that if both forks were damaged in shipment and then later a piece of chrome fell of the exhaust, it sounds like the bike may have experienced some very rough treatment prior to delivery to you.
+1 really sounds like the bike was dropped while in the shipping crate. You may not have a lemon but really a damaged in shipping issue.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Have you attempted to contact Triumph directly? I was having a few issues with my bike with less than 500 miles on it. My dealer gave the number of the Triumph rep for North America and the person I spoke with was very helpful.

I went in to my dealer and had a conference call with the Triumph rep and the service manager and the rep told him to fix it to my satisfaction or get me a new bike.

I don't know what they would say about shipping damage with 3500 on the clock, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I guess there is something to be said for buying the dealer demo off the showroom. I had a little trepidation at first about buying a bike that already had over a 100 miles on it - but their test rides are 10-15 miles long so I figure maybe a couple sales guys rode it and maybe 5-6 customers - the only problem I had with it was the coolant leak which was visible and I pointed out to them BEFORE taking delivery of it. They fixed it under warranty - but it did keep my bike 8 days doing it. Something about having to inspect it, then order parts for it - Triumph warranty doesn't allow them to order what they need first then bring your bike in. At any rate I have always wondered that it being a floor model if it didn't get a more thorough going over as it was on display for all to see. Been pretty happy so far - until the tire change and then the resulting axle or belt squeak - but that isn't a warranty issue - an alignment issue of which I am still foggy on exactly how to do...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Picked bike up today

Hello to all,

Well I picked up the bike today, new fork legs and the switch was replaced. So far it appears to be a different bike, I cannot believe how different the bike is to ride, it seems to pull a lot harder then before.

I just came back from a ride and it ran very well, I was nice to it either and it didn't miss a beat so lets see how long it lasts. Hopefully for many years.

I was pretty set on selling it an going back to Harley but i still love the look, handling and now the performance.

So I am thinking of keeping it. I will attempt to contact Triumph still and let them know my situation. Who knows where that will get me.

Thanks to everyone for their input and encouragement, this is the reason I'm considering keeping it.

The other reason is the overall reliability everyone keeps telling me about. It appears the switch was its main problem. I will keep you posted on how it all goes.

Thanks Again :)

Regards
Graeme

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Graeme: I might be inclined to speak with the dealer or Triumph about negotiating a reduced price (maybe their actual cost) for an extended warranty to give you a little more confidence in the bike over the long term since you have had these issues at the onset of ownership. Worth a try in my opinion.

·
Registered
458 Posts
KEEP IT! It really takes 5,000-6,000 miles (10,000km) to get to know a bike or car. I only had to go test ride some Victory's the other day to help me appreciate my TBird. Victory's shift hard, *thunk* like a dump truck, their grips are too small for my hands and they are not balanced - at 60 mph I took my hands off the bars and went straight out my sides like an airplane and I had to compensate to the right with my hips - they wanted to lean and go left - I tried this on 2 different models of Crossroads and their Hammer. Try it on your Storm - get up to cruising speed and release the bars and feel her perfect balance.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts