Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 8 years, and constant battery maintenance through a trickle charge, my baby refused to start up the other day. The battery has finally died. No worries, I'll jump online and purchase a new one. Unfortunately, almost every website has different information on the correct battery to purchase and I tried calling Triumph 3 times and no one answers their phone. So, I'm hoping the community can shed some light on this for me.

From everything I have read and seen, the Yuasa YTX20L-BS is the correct OEM battery to purchase, but on Triumph's website, their OEM part number (T2502450) states 20AH whereas the Yuasa site says that model is 18AH. Is Triumph's OEM part a custom Yuasa battery or is the information incorrect?

I can get this battery on Amazon for $73.88, but if I purchase the Triumph part through an authorized dealer, it's quite a bit more expensive. If it's the exact same thing, I am going to buy it on Amazon like I did for my wife's Triumph America when her battery died.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Eight years with your battery is really amazing! Congrats. I got 5 1/2 with my OEM Yuasa that was on a trickle charger all the time on my '14 Tbird LT and considered myself very lucky. I don't think the Yuasa is a custom battery. When mine died I went to Harley-Triumph Dealer--and they didn't have the Yuasa in stock. But they had a Harley battery that was exactly the same configuration and size as the Yuasa, and it even had more cold cranking amps so I got it and installed it that day. If you can get that one for less than $75, that's a steal! Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I got lucky that the battery lasted so long. I finally spoke to someone knowledgeable at Triumph and got the answer. He could not figure out why their website marks a YTX20L-BS as (20AH) when that battery is clearly (18AH). The crazy thing? All the dealers just copy and paste that information and mark the battery as (20AH) as well. And beyond that, some dealer sites say that battery is compatible with my bike, and others say it is not.

The bottom line was the Yuasa YTX20L-BS listing on Amazon (which went down to $71.55 between the time I asked this question and when I got my answer) is the exact same battery that comes with the bike when it ships from Triumph.

Also, and I should point this out for anyone who is wondering, I ordered a Yuasa battery from Amazon for my wife's 2012 America and it was perfect. The great thing is that the acid comes separately so you can activate the battery when you are ready to install. Often times, when you go to a dealer and have a new battery put in, that dealer is giving you a battery that could have been sitting on their shelf for the past 6 months+ because as soon as the batteries arrive, they install the acid and the battery starts aging. We had this issue with my wife's bike 3 times.

·
Registered
215 Posts
What's involved in adding the acid? How is that packaged with the battery. I seem to recall the top of that Yuasa is sealed.. but I'm too lazy to go into the garage and remove the seat to look at it;) You're definitely right about those batteries that are already been sitting on the shelf at the dealers. If it's not too much a hassle, I may try adding the acid next time. Thanks for letting us know about the proper battery model and the 18AH.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts