Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,
I've been thinking of replacing my original spoke rims with something else.
What is available out there that will fit my 2000 Thunderbird Sport?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Well, the stock wheel/tire specs are:

Wheels Front: alloy 36-spoke, 17" x 3.5" Rear: alloy 40-spoke, 17" x 4.25"

Tires Front: 120/70 x 17 Rear: 160/60 x 17

Googling the sizes above with "motorcycle wheel" gives dozens of listings for custom as well as OEM stock replacement wheels. Give it a try...

A different question is: is there anything special/custom/unusual about things like the hub size or the mounting configuration where the rear sprocket and/or the front brake discs mount that would make one wheel better/worse than another? This I can't easily answer as I've never mounted non-OEM wheels to a bike, but I see it done all the time.

EDIT:

QUESTION: The "rim" is the outer part of the wheel where the tire mounts. On the stock wheel, the rim is attached to the hub with spokes. Since you're asking about replacing the "spoked rim" though, I ASSUME what you really want to do is swap the ENTIRE WHEEL (rim, hub and spokes as a unit) for something made from cast aluminum or carbon fiber, yes? If so, what are you looking to accomplish? Lighter weight? Just a different look? Depending on what you're going for will inform what type of wheel you should be looking to buy.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Any wheels from the first gen Triumphs;Speed Triples, Daytonas, Sprints, Trophys, etc. Any bike, that isn't a 600, that doesn't have a single-sided swingarm. The easiest route is to get a set of forks from those bikes as well so everything bolts right up. Other people have used ZRX wheels and forks.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The easiest route is to get a set of forks from those bikes as well so everything bolts right up. Other people have used ZRX wheels and forks.
Do the clamps have to be modified, or the steering bearings changed/beefed-up at all with non-standard forks?

These ZRX-1200 wheels/brakes/forks would look FANTASTIC on my yellow and black TBS - not sure about the rear wheel size, though...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Google is your friend:rolleyes:
Thanks!! :):cough!weenie!cough!::) :p

Actually, what I know is that the tire sizes for that bike are:

Front tyre dimensions: 120/70-17
Rear tyre dimensions: 180/55-x17

So the same diameter as the stock tires (Tires Front: 120/70 x 17 Rear: 160/60 x 17) but slightly wider in the rear by 20mm, or a hair over 3/4" wider. The front wheel takes the same size tire so must be the same rim and diameter size. The question I don't know the answer to is if the rear sub-frame will accommodate the slightly wider rear wheel, nor do I have any clue if the center hub, brakes or anything else actually, you know, CONNECTED to the wheel will mate up. Even assuming that it does, I also don't know how the handling of the bike will be different - instead of a 40mm differential between the front and rear, there'd be a 60mm difference, all in the rear. Hmmmm...

Be sure to let us know what you end up with, and if you had issues mating the wheels with the rest of the bike. Me... I'm off to start scouring the interwebz for an old ZRX front assembly and rear wheel :::whistles...::: ;)

·
Registered
605 Posts
It's been quite a while - forgot he managed to fit the ZRX wheels and forks to the TBS. As well as the rear rotor with a Trophy caliper, looks like. I can't see the rear in hos photo though so I don't know if he has clearance issues or not (assume not, but...)

·
Registered
605 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
He finished it long before he started the what i did to my bike today thread.

You found the second modification. That was added a few years after the first modifications. I think he was the first one to post about the Kawasaki compatibility.

EDIT:

2005 updates - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
2005 project complete & first ride of the season - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

2004 mods - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

MickMaguire

Plenty food for thought in those threads.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is exactly what I'm looking for...
Now I need to start putting together the parts...

I guess E-bay is going to be my best friend for a while...

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you do it, be sure to post regular, detailed build updates. I gotta admit I'm intrigued by this as well, and the bigger rear tire looks AMAZING on the TBS I think... I'm not sure of I can fabricate parts like spacers though... :( Hopefully you have a source!

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you do it, be sure to post regular, detailed build updates. I gotta admit I'm intrigued by this as well, and the bigger rear tire looks AMAZING on the TBS I think... I'm not sure of I can fabricate parts like spacers though... :( Hopefully you have a source!
It will probably take a while to gather the parts... unless i can find a cheap doner bike.

The spacers will not be a problem as I have a Smitty lathe/mill. but even if I didn't I[m sure I could fabricate something using a grinder and some pipe...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Do me a favor and make up a few extra sets of whatever you need to fabricate while you have everything set up... I'd likely buy a full set from you for a profit, simply to have on-hand in the event I get the same bug and decide to go hog-wild and pig-crazy. :)

Heck... I can see this turning into a tidy little side business for you, if you can document everything very well - God knows I'd buy a "conversion kit" with pre-made spacers/other adapter hardware, a complete parts list and a PDF of your conversion guide if it were done well. In fact.... If you need any assistance assembling, editing or publishing such a document or kit let me know - I'm a writer and editor and I can help make such a project look and read very well. I've done similar things for the Mini Cooper community (been tinkering and modding my little Brit cars for years).

-matt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts