Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've just bought a thunderbird sport (which i absolutely love) and i've noticed that the suspension is quite hard. i looked in the manual to see how i can soften it and it has a chart with numbers depending on the settings you like. so, i went out to the bike with my screwdriver expecting to see some numbers on the adjustment points. however there weren't any. should there be or is it not quite that simple?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi bob, thanks for the info. that's what i've been looking at in my manual but i'm still confused. for example, it says "The motorcycle is delivered from the factory with the spring pre-load set on position 6." when i look at my bike, i can't see the number 6 anywhere. should i be looking for an actual number or a number of graduation lines?

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
There are no numbers, just graduation lines or clicks, depending on what you are adjusting.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Suspension Adjustments

The damping adjustments are made by turning the adjusters clockwise (in) to the stop. Then turn the adjuster counterclockwise (out) counting the 'clicks' or detents to the recommended/desired setting.

The preload adjustments for the front refer to the graduation lines visible in the threads.

The rear spring preload can be adjusted with a special shock spanner tool or a big screwdriver and hammer. If you aren't familiar with this type of adjustment the two rings are tightened into each other to lock them in place.

There's a specific process to follow for adjusting your suspension beginning with 'SAG' which is controlled by the preload adjustments. Google for "motorcycle suspension set-up" or try the following articles. You'll need a buddy or two to help you do it right.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/122_0508_motorcycle_suspension_setup/index.html

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/122_0509_motorcycle_suspension_damping/index.html

Good Luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks - it sounds like it needs a bit of knowledge and care. i'm glad i didn't just start unscrewing things without asking first. much appreciated.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Before you touch your suspension settings, write them down on a piece of paper. Do not make too many adjustments without first test riding the bike.
Have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts