Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode my 2012 Thunderbird 1600 from Ontario down to Western NC, with 3 other old guys. Amazing roads. We rode the Tail of the Dragon (US 129) just to say we did. There are lots of other outstanding roads without the marketing / hype. Fortunately, it wasn't very busy on a Wednesday afternoon.

Bike did great, averaged 47 (US) MPG over 2,350 miles, lots of that at 70 mph (and a bit above). I had the best range between fill-ups of the group, with well over 200 miles to a tank.

Didn't run out of ground clearance, and on the twisty sections, the engine had so much torque I could leave it in 2nd and just twist the throttle like a rheostat.

A few pics:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
We just did Skyline Drive / Blue Ridge Parkway / Tail of the Dragon / Back of the Dragon and a bunch of other roads - 2500 miles ourselves - on the Thunderbird and her America. Glad you enjoyed the trip!

Reactions: LuvRidinAmerica

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We just did Skyline Drive / Blue Ridge Parkway / Tail of the Dragon / Back of the Dragon and a bunch of other roads - 2500 miles ourselves - on the Thunderbird and her America. Glad you enjoyed the trip!
Nice. If you haven't already, over towards Canton, NC, check out 215 and 276 South towards Brevard.

My wife & I are planning to ride to New England in August, me on the T-Bird, her on her Vespa 300. She won't be happy riding more than maybe 5 hours / day, so we plan to head East as far as Mt Washington, then wind our way back to Ontario. Plan is no interstates, and to stop when and where we want to.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If you do the Kancamagus in NH, do Bear Notch as well. 100 up in VT is nice - Ben & Jerry's factory tour after.

Lots of good roads north of MA (asphalt quality wise). ME - Acadia & Cadillac Mtn are nice too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts