Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes 1700cc

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have 2 distinct noises on my 13 storm. The first is the clack, which happens at cruising speed under a light load. This noise does not change with temp or oil changes even when I went to 20w50, this noise has remained the same. I think this noise is piston slap. The 2nd appears 1500 miles after changing the oil at a hot idle. I believe this is due to the timing chain tensioner, either being worn or lower oil pressure. This noise almost goes totally away after changing the oil.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 2 distinct noises on my 13 storm. The first is the clack, which happens at cruising speed under a light load. This noise does not change with temp or oil changes even when I went to 20w50, this noise has remained the same. I think this noise is piston slap. The 2nd appears 1500 miles after changing the oil at a hot idle. I believe this is due to the timing chain tensioner, either being worn or lower oil pressure. This noise almost goes totally away after changing the oil.

Just wondering, is everyone running premium gas in their bikes? Mine sounded like it was full of marbles with regular gas. Sounds fine with premium.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just wondering, is everyone running premium gas in their bikes? Mine sounded like it was full of marbles with regular gas. Sounds fine with premium.
I usually run 87 (R+M) which is recommended by Triumph. I have tried a few tanks of premium but it does nothing for the engine noises.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
87 octane.
Never a problem unless temps are very hot and bike is loaded up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My 2012 is new to me and I haven't ridden any other Thunderbirds. Mechanic said everything is fine. To me it sounds fine at cruise speeds, makes different sounds at higher RPMs and throttle input, I'm not too worried. Is there any youtube clip with audio with this?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Despite "required" octane rating, I usually fill with mid grade 91 RON. When I store for the Winter I treat the girl to 93 RON with additives to compensate for the dreaded ethanol. Previous bike was an America 900 and was recommended to use 91 RON with that so just stuck to same grade. Plus, gas is cheap for a bike that does 50 mpg+.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I did a poll on the same thing with many more votes and u will see the storms have as many people that said thiers knock and those who don't. 1600s also have some clackers but not near as many as 1700s. Mine does. (1600 BB kit to 1700) If i had it to do over i'd never have had the kit installed. The cams, sure, and thats where most of the power comes from. But i'd have left the 1600 pistons.
Here ya go... Engine Knock Poll

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cap,

Have had my 2010 ABS for 3 years. It has BB kit and short Tors. I don't think it does it, but not sure I know what it sounds like. Has 18 K on it. Had the kit put on shortly before I bought it.

Dan

·
Registered
876 Posts
2014 LT. 25000 klm. No clacking. Usually run 95 octane (not sure what that is in the US but here it's one step up from standard).
BTW - I've seen Indian owners complaining about "clacking".

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mine has been clacking since 20k and still does at 75k. I have tried all grades of fuel many times, no change whatsoever. I have noticed that with the many different custom tunes i have used the bike prefers different grades depending on that. But the tune i have been using for years now runs best on regular 87. But again, clacking is completely unaffected. The only thing thats helped is oil. I find mobil 1 v twin or motul 7100 both keep the noise to a minimum probably about 85-80% less noise than the worse oil which turns out is triumph's recommendation, castrol. after nearly 11 years on this bike i've very anxious to move on and would like to get a T120 but at this point i can't afford it and mine will likely fetch maybe $2000 thanks to the mileage. A dealer offered me $500 in trade due toi the mileage. It looks new. Oh well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If it does no harm and I cant tell, then I dont really care if its clacking or not
Then you either don't have it or you have a very mild case. Because if you rode mine when it's doing it to the max you'd never have bought one for fear you'd have the same issue. It's not pleasant and theres no way u would not be able to tell, trust me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mt 2013 1500 rattles a bit between 2500 and 3500 at light to medium throttle. I don't feel it through the chassis and I can't hear it through helmet and ear plugs.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I remember this topic from a long time ago. i've got a '14 TB LT with 16,000 miles and no clack. I wish I could hear this. It must be quite annoying from the sound of it. I run premium and do all the regular service. Bike still runs great... knock wood.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts