• Yes 1700cc

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question for you T-Bird owners. I previously owned a 2011 1600 T-Bird and put about 15000 fun miles on it without a problem. A couple bikes later I owned a 2015 T-Bird 1700 Commander and unfortunately it became a clacker within about 5000 miles. I had the dealer change the pistons and sleeves which appeared to correct the problem. However, almost immediately after the repair, I got an itch for a new bike and bought an Indian Springfield. I love the Springfield and will certainly be keeping it. But, I am once again thinking about buying another T-Bird to have as a second bike. But, I don't want another clacker. My question is, do any of you 1600cc T-Bird owners have a clacker. Is this just a 1700cc thing? It seems like the problem started with the LT's and Commanders. But, I have been off this site for a while and am wondering if my belief is correct.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are many posts here and other sites regarding the issue.
Hello Slingshot, you are correct, there are. And I do believe we exchanged some information possibly regarding that topic when I previously had mine. However, MOST of the threads that I have found involving bikes that were clackers were LT's, and Commanders. I'm just curious if any, or how many 1600cc owners have clackers. As I mentioned, my 1600 was great, but my 1700 not so much. If I do buy another Thunderbird it will probably be a 1600 and possibly a 1700 Storm. It just seems like this really became a problem for Triumph when the LT's and Commanders came out. But, I have yet to find a thread indicating a time or CC correlation.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Best of my recollection it is/was unique to the 1700 motor....for reasons still unexplained/admitted to. Vendor change of certain parts of the motor, origin of castings, pistons, sleeves? Triumph seemingly swept it under the carpet. Production of that motor was 2014 model year.....with big bore kits available for earlier models. Cannot answer to issues with those who opted to install those kits. Look up and pen a note to "The Hornet" , he is one of several who went through rebuilds to suffer repeat results.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Best of my recollection it is/was unique to the 1700 motor....for reasons still unexplained/admitted to. Vendor change of certain parts of the motor, origin of castings, pistons, sleeves? Triumph seemingly swept it under the carpet. Production of that motor was 2014 model year.....with big bore kits available for earlier models. Cannot answer to issues with those who opted to install those kits. Look up and pen a note to "The Hornet" , he is one of several who went through rebuilds to suffer repeat results.
That's what I recall, and have gathered from the various threads that I have researched. But, what is strange about that is, why the 1700 Storm isn't affected. Are it's internals sourced from somewhere else? Or are there a small percentage of 2014 (year Lt's and Commanders released) and newer Storms affected, but earlier models weren't?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I haven't posted for a while but I do pop my head in now and again to see what's happening...
And this discussion was pretty active when I was here last.
My 2015 Storm had a noise which I was concerned about so took to the dealer to check it out, telling him I thought it was 'piston slap', because, by all reports in this forum, that's probably what it was.
Pulled the bike to bits (top end) to have a look. Measured the gap 'tween piston and bore and was thought that it could be a problem. Mechanic also adjusted / replaced (I forget now...) the shims.
This was all at 18,000 klms. Problem solved! No more noises! I will admit, it was more of a tap on decel rather than a clack but hey - who am I to determine the noise in your bike. All I'm getting at is that the noise could be normal wearing in of the parts that need a little adjustment. Over and out. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
2013 TBird Storm. Clacker at idle. Change oil every 2000 miles to minimize it. Rumor is that a new tbird is coming out with longer piston skirts and slightly larger pistons. They evidently used short skirts and loose fitting pistons to get more horsepower. Wondering if they also need a higher pressure oil pump. Just a guess.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts