Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse my ignorance/stupidity. I want to reduce the oil level in my bike as when it's on it's centre stand, the oil level is above the window level. This does not seem to cause any problems with anything that the moment, it's just a piece of mind thing.
I have tried putting tubes down into the casings with a syringe to extract some oil to approx halfway in the window.
My problem is, trying to get the tubes into the bowels of the casings to below the oil level, I have tried various lengths and diameters of pipe, all of which do not want to find their way past the clutch before curling round before hitting the oil level.
I was considering purchasing or making fork oil level tool, with a length of small diameter semi flexible tubing to help get down to the depths. However I do not want to cause any damage to anything i.e seals etc that might be in there?
I don't want to drain the sump so would be grateful for any advise if anybody has done a similar operation.
I know everybody blames the Haynes workshop manual for a 'typo' however the factory service book also quotes 4 litres of oil?
Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was on that 4L gravy train too, till I saw the light, via this forum, AND also after reading the Triumph Service Manual (not owners manual as well as other non-triumph sources). From here on out, fill with 3 qts/litres, crank and let run for a few moments (to draw oil from the sump and circulate). then shutdown, and let the level settle. It will be right at the bottom or just below the window. then fill to proper level (1/2 qt or liter whichever you use) and call it done.

As far as draining your overfill. Just crack the drain plug. if you can watch it drip and drain to the perfect level then good. If you have to drain all out, so what. filter/strain it and transfer to qt or liter bottles and begin refilling. or get new oil. then do the same procedure. crank after 3 added, then let settle and bring it up to proper level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts