Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thunderbird 1995.
Was starting and running fine over the summer. Been stood for about a month and now won't start
Battery is fully charged.
When I press the starter there is a loud click and nothing else. Starter motor not even trying to turn over.

Please don't say it's the sprag clutch. I've had enough trouble with this bike already.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have the battery load tested for a dud cell at a local auto parts store - they'll test it for free.

Despite "appearing" to be fully charged it's important to eliminate any possibility that the battery is suspect before chasing any other electrical rabbit trails.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
It's not the sprag clutch. Where is the loud click coming from? Put a volt meter on the hot terminal of the starter and see what it shows when you're pressing the starter button.

Put the bike in gear (5th) and rock it backwards. This will move the starter motor, in case it's stopped on a dead spot.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have the battery load tested for a dud cell at a local auto parts store - they'll test it for free.

Despite "appearing" to be fully charged it's important to eliminate any possibility that the battery is suspect before chasing any other electrical rabbit trails.
Rob
Battery was new two months ago and been on an Optimate smart charger since.

It's not the sprag clutch. Where is the loud click coming from? Put a volt meter on the hot terminal of the starter and see what it shows when you're pressing the starter button.

Put the bike in gear (5th) and rock it backwards. This will move the starter motor, in case it's stopped on a dead spot.
Hard to pin down exactly where the loud click is. It's in the middle of the bike somewhere - seems to be below the rear of the tank. According to my Haynes manual the starter relay should make a click.

Tried the putting in fifth and rocking forward and back, but no luck.

I've got a multimeter and I've located the started motor wire. Sorry to be an ignoramous , but how do I use the multimeter to check the hot wire to the starter motor.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
Sorry to be an ignoramous , but how do I use the multimeter to check the hot wire to the starter motor.
Set the meter to "DC Volts" If there are ranges, pick one that is 15 volts or greater. Connect the red probe to the starter terminal and the black probe to a good ground. The negative of the battery or the heavy wire connected to the engine, the alternator case, I think.

Press the starter button and note the reading on the meter.

Another simple test you can do is to observe the behavior of the headlight when you press the starter button.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[/QUOTE]
Set the meter to "DC Volts" If there are ranges, pick one that is 15 volts or greater. Connect the red probe to the starter terminal and the black probe to a good ground. The negative of the battery or the heavy wire connected to the engine, the alternator case, I think.

Press the starter button and note the reading on the meter.

Another simple test you can do is to observe the behavior of the headlight when you press the starter button.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that.
What reading am I looking for on the voltage?

What does the headlight test do?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
What reading am I looking for on the voltage?
Depends on the nature of the problem. If everything was working, 10-11 volts. Since it is not working, I'd expect either higher (same as the battery) or much lower. Which one you get will point to the problem.

What does the headlight test do?
It's a poor man's voltage test. If it stays the same, no voltage drop. If it dims, and how much it dims, can also point to the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
I once bought a brand new battery that was bad when I got it home and installed it in the bike.....

I did not find that out until I had replaced several expensive ignition parts...

Do yourself a HUGE favor.

Take the battery out and take it in and have it load (stress) tested.
A battery can take a full charge (ie test at 13.6 - 14 Volts) and still not have enough cold cranking amps available to start the bike.
That is... It will spin the starter and crank the engine over but there will not be enough power (i.e. amps) to fire the spark plugs.

That test is free at most parts stores. Start simple. Rule that out first.

Loud click could be the starter solenoid (relay) that is located under the seat/tank left side at the front of the seat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts