Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need a little help finding a decent mono shock for my 2000 TB.

After reading all of the threads, I still haven't been able to figure out which Kawasaki shock might be best for my bike. ZX6,7,9 or 11? Remote res or not? Is the remote res much better than the non remote?
I would also like to lower the bike a bit-maybe an inch or so. I do not want it any higher. I will also lower the front forks about 10mm or so.
I am 5'7" and 150 lbs. I occasionally have my 100 lb daughter on the back for short trips.
If anybody can point me in the right direction, that would be cool.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi,

If you find the Kawasaki shock does not give you what you want, and you consider new - then Hagon offer a "seat lowering" shock (Type L).

Geoff

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I think one of the ZX shocks is about the same length as the stocker, a trawl thru' 'Cheap rear suspension upgrade...' should find it. IIRC it's one without a remote res, but don't worry about that, it'll still be a decent quality adjustable item vastly better than stock (rebuildable too if u need it). They all tend to result in a softer rear, but you are light so no problem I think. You could also use the Legend 'dogbones' to lower the back.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
ZX6R shock is same length as stock, but doesn't have the remote reservoir. It's a bit of a challenge to make space for the reservoir, but doable.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Ah...maybe that was it, I thought there was one of stock length without any external reservoir? Perhaps I was thinking of the ZX6R which actually needs some battery modding to fit it's attached reservoir.

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
I found a Hagon intended for a ZX9-R. It is a little shorter (maybe 1/2") than the stock item, but in real terms it makes no difference to the ride height as you don't get the excessive sag of the stock unit. The ride is far superior.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll look into the ZX-9, then. The more I ride with the stock shock, the more I realize it SUCKS!
What's a good alternative for the front forks? Progressive springs? Replacing with TBS?

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
What's a good alternative for the front forks? Progressive springs? Replacing with TBS?
Good luck with finding a TBS set, they are very rare.

Kawasaki ZRX forks and brakes seems to be a popular and easy mod.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the stock front fork, mine came with progressive springs from the factory and with 15w oil it works well.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi,

You may like to do a forum search for Ricor Intiminators. These valves allow you to remain stock, while providing a good suspension upgrade internally.
RaceTech Gold valves and YSS PD valves are 'similar' upgrades.

Geoff

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I had Racetech Gold Valve Emulators before fitting Ricors. The Ricors are more expensive but are better by a country mile. They do what they say 'on the tin' as the saying goes. I'm using Hagon progressive springs with them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So back to the rear shock. I found a nice suzuki gsxr shock that is 1" shorter. Anybody know how much that will lower the bike? I'm assuming it won't be exactly 1" because of the linkage. Do you think I'll have an easier time with this style reso?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
That 1" shorter at the shock will become 2 to 3" lowering at the back wheel I think?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you checked the dimensions of the fittings?
Fittings are exact. I just looked at the bike with the covers off, and I would have to move the battery box non-regardless.
I think the remote reso is the way to go-I can't find them very cheap on ebay at this time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts