Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or as you call them across the water exhaust headers.
Can anybody confirm my thoughts from today. I thought I would have a go at removing the blue brown discolouration from the pipes. So I've removed the left side pipe. It appears to be stainless steel as its is almost non magnetic so I've rubbed it down with a wet and dry thinking it would polish back up but it appears to be chromed.

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Yup, it's chromed Stainless.

WHy?? Speculation........Maybe Triumph wanted them to turn Blue instead of Yellow/Brown. That does lend to the Classic flavor of the whole bike.

Anyway, since you already roughed them up with Sandpaper, there is probably not much to do. There is some polish available in Harley Shops that works. "Blue Job", if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The only way to restore them is to send them to a chrome plater to have the chrome removed and them have the pipes polished.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The main problem is that the chrome plating rusts. When it has been polished they don't seem to blue again but they do go a slightly straw colour. You can resurect the most appauling downpipes and make them as good as new.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
The main problem is that the chrome plating rusts. When it has been polished they don't seem to blue again but they do go a slightly straw colour. You can resurect the most appauling downpipes and make them as good as new.
Chrome plating does not rust Jag
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Will_chrome_rust_easier_than_stainless_steel
Poor quality chrome plating will allow moisture to attack the steel underneath causing the chrome to deteriorate.
I use a plater here in South Australia and have never had a rust problem.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I can guarantee you that the chrome plating on the Thunderbird exhausts does rust, caused by all the grit thrown up against the pipes.
I have the down pipes stopped and polished as on about 50% of the Tbirds that I restore because of the rust problem.
How Triumph get the stainless plated in the first place is what I would like to know as every chrome plater I have asked says they cannot plate it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The only way to restore them is to send them to a chrome plater to have the chrome removed and them have the pipes polished.
How would they polish up if you rub them down to remove the chrome plate and them give them a good buffing? I'm thinking of doing this, since my headers are quite rough - not rusty, but pitted in places and discoloured.

timbo

·
Registered
980 Posts
You won't i'm afraid be able to sand it off, it has to be chemically removed. I send mine to:

R&S Electroplating Limited
The Smithy
2 Crown Street
Failsworth
Manchester
M35 9BD
0161 683 4908

They charge about £80 +vat + delivery and it takes 7>10 days. They come back with a very good shine, almost as good as chrome, in fact most people still think they are chrome.

·
Registered
129 Posts
can they be ceramic coated or some jet hot treatment, the stainless, that is?

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
AFAIK yes they an be coated with Jet Hot or other Appropriate Ceramic coating.

Jet Hot makes a Silver color that is very good looking, and it shines almost as much as real Chrome. Plus it does not discolor at all.

I think you'd need to remove the chrome first, but I am not sure about that.

·
Registered
792 Posts
hi guys not sure how old the thread is but having had mine re done last year ,no idea how triumph got them chrome in first place as they are deffo stainless as jag and a few others have said ,they can be repolished and they deffo look as good as new ,i asked the guy how he redone mine,and he said he had buffed them down and polished them back to a mirror finish i was well impressed and ive been asked many times how did i get em chromed ,i can post pics of b4 and after if anyone is intrested but i am sure they are in an old thread i posted here if you care to search hope this helps

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
hi guys not sure how old the thread is but having had mine re done last year ,no idea how triumph got them chrome in first place as they are deffo stainless as jag and a few others have said ,they can be repolished and they deffo look as good as new ,i asked the guy how he redone mine,and he said he had buffed them down and polished them back to a mirror finish i was well impressed and ive been asked many times how did i get em chromed ,i can post pics of b4 and after if anyone is intrested but i am sure they are in an old thread i posted here if you care to search hope this helps
You can repost the photos here if you like, some of us may be too lazy to search...;)

·
Registered
792 Posts
well i would post the pics but it seems you need to use a web page to do this and i just cant rem how to so if anyone know let me know and i post asap thanks guys

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought my 95 tbird 2 months ago pipes were highly polished only done 300kms and.already as.blue as hell why is this bike runs.as sweet.as.a nut

1 - 15 of 15 Posts