Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 Thunderbird will not rev past 5500 rpm, I replaced the pickup sensor with a new one not long after I bought the bike because of it shutting down after about 10 minutes of running, this fixed the problem but now I am puzzled why this is happening. Can anybody please throw a few clues my way to what may be the problem.
Thanks Rick.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you tested your coils? Once the bike heats up is when you will notice the issue if a coil is going? If you look through here you will find other's who have had the similar problem, I am one of them.
Corey

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Bad coils usually cause misfiring lower in the rev range & cutting out at tickover.

You need to give us much more detailed info - does it cut out completely or misfire, in what gears, accelerating or steady ? Does it start/restart ok etc. etc. Describe the full circumstances.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cut out occurs as I am accelerating through the gears when it happens I change up to the next gear and everything is ok because I am at lower revs, it has been a bit tempermental regards starting of late, not convinced that it is related but it could be. Are the coils on these Tbirds that unreliable?, there seems to be a lot of reference to them failing.
Cheers,
Rick.

·
Registered
367 Posts
rickardo, i had a similar problem with my speed triple, when i took the the bowls off one of the main jets had unscrewed itself and was sitting in the bottom of the bowl. I think it was my error as i had gone through the carbs to clean them out.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I agree with the others here, look to fuelling first, esp main jets & also check all the carb rubbers etc for any air leaks.

I have personal experience of the coil failures & this does not sound like the problem, or indeed any electrical failure.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
This sounds again like farmer's air filter thing. Check your airbox and airfilter first. It's the cheapest way.

Big plus on that.

The highest probability is that your air intake system is blocked -- critter nests, dirt, foreign objects -- so check that first.

If that's not it, it's a clogged fuel filter (duckbill in the fuel T or the tank filter) or a main jet/needle problem.

Check the filter first.

Jim

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem solved, I drained the carby's as suggested, didn't notice anything that may have caused the problem but since then everything is ok. thanks to all for the help.
Rick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts