Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so please be gentle and helpful.

I have a 2003 Thunderbird and their is an unhealthy sound coming from the alternater bearing(s). The part number on the alternater is T1300014. Can anyone help with the following:-

+ Are bearings and brushes available for these alternaters rather than a complete replacement.

+ What is the difference between the T1300014 and the earlier T1300000 alternater models.

Regards & Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, it is a Denso unit, so it should be rebuildable by a competent mechanic. I have a friend who had the alt rebuilt for his '00 Tiger. There may have been some changes at one point due the the alternator bolt issue?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
That was helpful and gentle...I like the way he warmed up the instruments first, and then said "You're going to feel a little pressure now":)
Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so please be gentle and helpful.

I have a 2003 Thunderbird and their is an unhealthy sound coming from the alternater bearing(s). The part number on the alternater is T1300014. Can anyone help with the following:-

+ Are bearings and brushes available for these alternaters rather than a complete replacement.

+ What is the difference between the T1300014 and the earlier T1300000 alternater models.

Regards & Thanks
Are you sure its the bearings and brushes or the more usual point of failure on these bike's alternator - a loose or broken impellor bolt? Early bikes were most prone but it can happen to later ones too.

Search for Alternator rattle or DAR on this forum for more info.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Are you sure its the bearings and brushes or the more usual point of failure on these bike's alternator - a loose or broken impellor bolt? Early bikes were most prone but it can happen to later ones too.

Search for Alternator rattle or DAR on this forum for more info.
I agree. Rickardo wrote about his solution to the alternator rattle last November.

http://www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-classic-triples/97815-alternator-rattle.html

I replaced my broken Bellville washer on the alternator drive this winter and it completely cured my rattle.

Rick

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
I have a 2003 Thunderbird and their is an unhealthy sound coming from the alternater bearing(s).
What the hell is an 'unhealthy sound'? Can you be a little less descriptive so nobody has a clue?:rolleyes:

Is it a light rattle at idle, a heavy clatter at all rpm, squealing or what?

A little more info might just happen to be helpful.

This is like somebody posting "My bike broke. What's wrong?"

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Firstly, a big thanks to everyone who took the time to read my posting and respond.

I apologise for the rather loose description (i.e. unhealthy) of the sound from the alternator, but my original purpose in the post was to find out if anyone knew the difference between the two alternator part numbers fitted to the Tbird; and if anyone knew of a source for the component parts.

After posting, I spent some time getting used to the Forum structure and found the issue of the alternator rattle. I have read all the threads that I could see and found them most informative. I will be able to check this out when I take the alternator out, which should be this coming weekend.

The sound is definitely consistent with a 'shot' bearing, rather than a rattle.

The bike has done less than 10,000 miles and I have already had to put new brushes in the starter motor. It was a Taigen and I believe they are not as good as the Nippon Denso units.

I wished I had found the forum earlier, as in digging around on this issue I found the threads on the temperature light problem caused by faulty earthing. I've been bothered by this problem for a few months now and knew it wasn't overheating.

Thanks to all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts