Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have just been told I need a new carb for my thunderbird.. Anyone know where I can get one?

Midlands.. Uk

Cheers
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Which year Thunderbird? Or more to the point which carbs do you have - Mikunis or Keihins?

Any idea why this person believes you need 1 new carb, as rebuilding or repairing is going to be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

One new carb will set you back about three hundred quid!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I Agree, unless the carb is crushed or somehow broken, it should be rebuildable. Is the problem with the pilot screw being frozen (like mine) just a guess. Honestly I'd have someone else look at it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.. Your advice is appreciated..

I had problems with the bike running, including fuel or oil or a mix of both flooding through the air box/filter.. The bike was backfiring with black smoke.. I have taken it to Leicester triumph.. According to the mechanic ( Leicester triumph) there has been a small fire/over heating in the carb, which has caused some of the plastic inners of the carb and part of the air box to melt..

They have advised me that the cheaper option is for me to source the parts second hand etc..

When I get the bike and bits back I'll know more..

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
792 Posts
I d be goin down the line of having a look at damage first with a single carb a£300 if its only plastics burned that be float and maybe the top plus seals as for airbox might only mean the filter i know that afer has used carbs from another tripple he has fitted and done an excellent post in detail with pics which i think will help just my thoughts i asume u just bought bike and dont know of any fire in airbox/carb oli in airbox normally mean over filled in sump its not hard job and there is loads of help in here to get yopu running again goood luck

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Ah, OK.

First thing I would do is take off the airbox and take plenty of pics of both the airbox and the carbs themselves, including the damage if you can see any and the rear of the carbs (intake mouths) with the airbox removed, and post them here so we can have a good look at them.

The fire could have burnt the plastic throttle slides, slide guides, slide diaphragms, and even warped the caps/lids.

The slide guides, although relatively expensive @ 22 quid each are available new, but the slides themselves are not (as far as I can tell), hence the Mechanic saying look for second hand.

Here's a good source for parts in the UK -

http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/triumph.html

....although you can also get parts for the Mikunis from forum member "Moto" in the US too.

So if you can find all the parts you need to rebuild it/them, all is good but you might also want to think about cost. If it's still going to be costing you heaps you might want to consider changing the Mikunis for Keihins, if you can find a set 2nd hand, as they are less trouble than Mikunis and allegedly get better mileage too.

Several forum members have done this already so there's plenty of info available here, and I must say that if I could have found a set at the time I rebuilt my Mikunis I would have swapped them out in a heartbeat.

But all is not lost, don't despair, rebuilding is not that hard as long as you can find the parts and I'll be happy to help where I can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your help and advice.. It certainly has lifted the doom and gloom.. As soon as I have the bike back I'll upload the pics and any other info I get from the mechanic..

Cheers
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts