Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Funny, i was just thinking of posting the same thing a few days ago since realizing how simple it is to install cams. Of course now my concerns lie elsewhere thanks to my own stupidity. But i've sure been curious for a long time. You gotta figure they're either selling them to the locals or thier venture is a bust because i've yet to see anyone online mention getting them so far.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The dyno charts they post look pretty imppressive. Of course, so is the price for the cams, eh? Tho I guess if you compare them to other mods they're not that outrageous. Someone take the plunge! My bike is "done" so I'm not gonna put these in (not yet...but in a moment of excitement I could imagine plonking down $900 for some bitchen cams :) ).

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I emailed Brent to see if he has them in stock, just to make the temptation that much worse. It sounds like a lot of scratch, but you're right Dr E, not compared to everything else. I have more than that much money in pipes and airbox elim kit.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
yeah, they're really not that bad when you consider how much we pay for pipes ! On the other hand, when you buy pipes you know what you're getting a lot moreso. With the cams, if the performance doesn't do much for you, you don't even have a cosmetic or sound upgrade to fall back on like you do with pipes. Just a internal part thats of little use if the gains aren't there. I went thru that with the $250 set of nology coils and wires. Not even a slight difference. Like throwing away money. I suppose the cams would have to be an improvment, but the question is what will you feel in the seat of your pants where it counts, and will anything negitive happen......worse low end, more vibration, and whatever else. you just never know till ya try, and it's a $1k chance you'd be taking.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think I'd go for polishing the head before buying cams. I do most of my riding below 5k anyway which seems to be about where these cams really kick in, if I recall the dyno charts correctly. (Someone correct me here if not ) A reworked head would be a lot cheaper. :)

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not to betray my "source's" confidence, but he says he's sold several sets with "no detailed feedback."

hmm. If I dropped a thou and they sucked, I'd be giving feedback, and if they worked great I'd be giving feedback.

Wouldn't you guys?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Ya, sweat
I would have to agree. That is a pretty big dollar item
to have not received any feed back.
Bill

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Maybe the buyers are not forum members here or at any of the forums. Realize that there are probably a lot more triumph owners that don't visit forums than there are that do. And the forums are where you get the feedback. How often do you buy an item and then contact the seller to tell him how happy you are or or not? I'd say the majority don't do that unless they are super ecstatic or extremely bummed.

Now if you really want to know, get a collection together to collect money to buy me a set and i promise to give you all an in depth review. :-D On a serious note, if one was to buy these i assume he'd have to use the stock backlash gears, no? And if so you'd have to bring it to a dealer and have his set them with the proper tool. Theres probably another $50 even tho it's a 1 min job.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I would rather spend that kinda money on port and polish ,5 angle valve grind etc.I think I could spend less on the headwork..
I have the 790 motor with 790 cams so I'll stick with what I have.Although i have heard that some 05 790s came with Thruxton cams.What is that all about?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Get as many as possible to help paying for a set, send it to me for testing (I have my own dyno), after I'm done I'll draw one off the names among the people who paid and he will get them. Since I have nothing to gain from this you should be able to trust my findings :wink:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thanks Bill, I do spend all my time and money on my bikes so they should be fast :wink:

All this talk about cams... I might by a set and see if they are any good or not. Turbo charging is too easy, I need a challenge, so maybe it's time to see how much power I can get from a naturally aspirated Bonnie. And the cams might even work good with a turbo

·
Registered
566 Posts
On 2006-11-21 20:29, SCCTrim wrote:
Sounds good, I'd have to ask you to divulge the spec's of the cams though as part of the deal.

....and I can't ask you to do that.
You can always buy more than one ticket and hope to win them :wink:

Specs shouldn't be a secret but I would ask Thunderbike what they have to say first. I at least wouldn't buy them if I can't get the specs, but I wouldn't copy them either..

·
Registered
566 Posts
On 2006-11-21 20:35, sweatmachine wrote:
or develop your own line of go-fast goodies and sell em to us, cheap.

please?!?
Now that's a good idea!!
But I already have, buy a turbo bike from me and be done with it. How many HP do you want? :-D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.