Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im wondering whats the fastest you can drive a thruxton without pushing it to hard, (and control issues) for long periods of time.

·
Registered
616 Posts
im wondering whats the fastest you can drive a thruxton without pushing it to hard, (and control issues) for long periods of time.
My commute is about 25 miles and I'm usually up around 85 MPH for most of it. It seems very stable at that speed.

I've taken it all the way to its top a few times. The wind gets pretty unbearable -- even with your chest on the tank. And I wouldn't want to have to make a quick turn or stop from that speed.

But I feel pretty much in complete control at 85.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
According to the speedo Ive had mine to 100-105mph a handfull of times and it was doing alright...didnt stay long...I get spooked up there...

...80-85mph on the highway sounds about right...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I must have been really close to 110 a few times according to my speedo. The wind was brutal and only stayed there for a few seconds. I've cruised anywhere between 80 - high 90's and I'm getting more and more confidence each time out. I'm scared as heck on the freeway at 65 or w/the flow of traffic. I've had one too many close calls at those speeds. Ironically I feel much safer riding faster than the surrounding traffic. Maybe it's because I'm only near a car for just a split second vs. riding side by side and them not seeing me.

Do I have a warped thought or is there some merit to my thinking????? Anyone out there have any thoughts???

·
Registered
709 Posts
I've touched 120 (GPS), with the bike rock solid. We get up to the Ton pretty frequently, but the motor is a bit busy, even with the 19T sprocket. I'd say the bike would hold 90 all day.
As to the wind, the small flyscreen (D) does a nice job at those speeds, most of the airflow goes over or around me, in a 3/4 crouch.

I agree about going a bit faster than prevailing traffic speed, puts my tactical situation mostly in front of me, where I can see it better. Can't imagine anything scarier than going slower, and being overtaken all the time. Puts you at the Morons' mercy.
Redhawk

·
Registered
616 Posts
I must have been really close to 110 a few times according to my speedo. The wind was brutal and only stayed there for a few seconds. I've cruised anywhere between 80 - high 90's and I'm getting more and more confidence each time out. I'm scared as heck on the freeway at 65 or w/the flow of traffic. I've had one too many close calls at those speeds. Ironically I feel much safer riding faster than the surrounding traffic. Maybe it's because I'm only near a car for just a split second vs. riding side by side and them not seeing me.

Do I have a warped thought or is there some merit to my thinking????? Anyone out there have any thoughts???
I don't know if you are actually safer or not, but I do the same thing for the same reason. I feel like I am agressively seeking to avoid cars -- and the easiest way is to open the throttle. They are a herd of wildebeasts and I am a cheetah, you know?

I have sometimes gotten a little too far in front of traffic and found myself having to brake hard to avoid eating someone's tail pipe at a sudden traffic bottleneck. That can be really dangerous, considering how much faster a bike can stop than the thing behind you can.

One of my pet peeves is when I'm going 85 or so and some idiot in a cage thinks I'm trying to race him.

a.) You're not going to keep up, moron. A friggin' V Star will outrun most cars.

b.) Weaving a car in and out of traffic to keep up with a bike is going to get someone killed -- probably me.

It always amazes me when someone drives in a way that you can tell they don't realize how vulnerable a bike is. I mean, I can understand when someone doesn't SEE me. I wish more people were more mindful, but it goes with the territory. My problem is with people who CAN see me and still are getting really, really close, you know?

·
Registered
401 Posts
...One of my pet peeves is when I'm going 85 or so and some idiot in a cage thinks I'm trying to race him.

It always amazes me when someone drives in a way that you can tell they don't realize how vulnerable a bike is. I mean, I can understand when someone doesn't SEE me. I wish more people were more mindful, but it goes with the territory. My problem is with people who CAN see me and still are getting really, really close, you know?
Agree with all of this, except I am the wildebeest and the cages are a pack of lions.

-simpson

·
Registered
41 Posts
I cruise mine on the freeway 85-90 but with the 17 tooth thats 5500-5800 rpm so she is zingin right along

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've taken mine to 110mph (per speedo) a couple of times but I didn't hold it for long because it frightened me. I didn't experience any rattles, vibrations or shakes from the vehicle. From the vehicle.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm glad I logged on and saw this thread. Saturday was my first day on the freeway with my Thruxton. I was going 70 on the 405 freeway in Orange County, CA, and felt ok for most of the time. There are portions of that freeway though that make me feel like the handlebars are wobbling and about to go out of control. On my way home I got off the freeway early and took side streets, haha. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
On winding roads, riding too fast, turn a corner, and bang, a car is stationary turning right. Slam the brakes on - not a lot happens to bring you to a halt with one disc brake. These are relatively powerful bikes, compared to 20 years ago. I think you have to drive with caution, then open up on straight open roads. They are addictive enough to turn the throttle just a little too much.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm glad I logged on and saw this thread. Saturday was my first day on the freeway with my Thruxton. I was going 70 on the 405 freeway in Orange County, CA, and felt ok for most of the time. There are portions of that freeway though that make me feel like the handlebars are wobbling and about to go out of control. On my way home I got off the freeway early and took side streets, haha. Better safe than sorry.
I should probably add that there are some serious rain grooves on that freeway, so that was probably the reason for the funkiness with the bars being wobbly. I just thought of that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a superbrace and steering dampner and I will honestly say that I don't feel that comfortable on the freeway. Possibly it's because Im driving on the 101 or 405 in LA ;)

·
Registered
521 Posts
With a full face helmet doing the ton is not too painful but around 85 is the sweet spot. Get a fairing if you want to cruise over 100 all day but it would ruin the look of the bike.

·
Registered
716 Posts
80 + is easy all day long

These bikes will go 80-85mph all day long...stock
I put a 19 tooth counter sprocket on mine since
I do most of the ride in the 80+ range
I prefer the reduced revs in top gear
if I need more acceleration I just down shift.
I don't notice much difference between first gears starts
between the 18 tooth or the 19 tooth

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have done extended cruises at 90 mph and I have done 25 mph rides for over 50 miles. They all feel the same. Both extremes felt competent and comfortable. The 90 + was much more fun.

124 top speed on GPS was a bit overwhelming with wind buffeting, but the flyscreen helps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts