Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike wouldn’t start this morning

So it’s been raining for about 5 days straight. It’s been depressing looking at my thruxton in it’s cover being drenched, but alas I have no garage. This morning the weather finally broke and I was thrilled to be able to rider her again. Got myself ready for work and went out and took the cover off and the bike wasn’t soaked but obviously damp. Wiped off the seat though resolved to ride. Stuck her in neutral pulled out the choke and tried to fire her up. Starter motor gets going, the engine fires a little bit but never got going. Gave it another shot same deal. I look her over real quick and try again, this time a little wisp of smoke comes out from the right side panel and the starter motor goes, but I don’t hear the engine fire at all. I left the cover off when I left to work, hopefully to let everything air/dry out a bit and see if it turns over when I get home. I’m guessing the constant rain and the humidity building up inside the cover allowed some moisture to get into places it shouldn’t go. One worry, I have removed the airbox an fitted K&N pod filters directly to the carbs, if those get damp does it suck water in?

Anyhow, I’m looking for a short list of things to run through when I get back home. Any ideas how to fix it and better prevent this from happening? (yes I know I need to move someplace with a garage.)

·
30,533 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles - I would suspect the same thing regards dampness. Hopefully letting it dry out will sort it- that is the first thing I would do too.

I would go round the electrical connectors with some dielectric grease, try and keep them in good shape that way. I know that if the Pods get waterlogged that is a problem - but I would be surprised if they are soaked. You could put outerwears silicone covers on them. I have them on mine for peace of mind. A buddy of mine that races snowmobiles on lakes says that all the snowmobiler racers use them to stop their pods getting waterlogged. Good enough for me, that recommendation.

Maybe a squirt of WD40 on some of the connectors when you get home wouldn't go amiss.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts