Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
30,517 Posts
That's Lake's rig, and very nice it is too. I think he posted it in the thruxton pictures thread.

I think it looks cool, great photography too.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi Klantz

I've only just seen this but if you're after one of the sidecars, and this is a Meteor, you can get them from Charnwood Classics near Leicester, England. They will colour match it for you, including the transfers, and I think they do left hand and right hand sidecars depending on where you are in the world (probably export too). A word of caution though, add about £1,000 onto the advertised price for paint, fittings, steering damper, etc (so it isn't cheap).

Great fun, I got mine for my 5yr old son and he loves it.

Lake

·
Registered
385 Posts
Beautiful sidecar. . .looks great with the Thruxton. I'm having Dauntless Motors in Washington state build me an M72D sidecar for my '07 Bonnie. They're going to match the Goodwood Green paint.

The car should be ready on or about 5 October for shipment to Adamson Susquehanna Cycle in Red Lion PA for installation.

I'm really excited and anxious. I'll post pics upon receipt.

·
30,517 Posts
Ooooh yeah, do that, I would love to see pics of your sidecar outfit. Very cool.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Beautiful sidecar. . .looks great with the Thruxton. I'm having Dauntless Motors in Washington state build me an M72D sidecar for my '07 Bonnie. They're going to match the Goodwood Green paint.

The car should be ready on or about 5 October for shipment to Adamson Susquehanna Cycle in Red Lion PA for installation.

I'm really excited and anxious. I'll post pics upon receipt.
Cool. I hope you've either ridden one before or know what's in store, they're crazy things! Be careful.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Klantz

I've only just seen this but if you're after one of the sidecars, and this is a Meteor, you can get them from Charnwood Classics near Leicester, England. They will colour match it for you, including the transfers, and I think they do left hand and right hand sidecars depending on where you are in the world (probably export too). A word of caution though, add about £1,000 onto the advertised price for paint, fittings, steering damper, etc (so it isn't cheap).

Great fun, I got mine for my 5yr old son and he loves it.

Lake
Thanks Lake! I think I'm going to try to find something stateside although I was looking at some of the pictures of their older side cars and building one wouldn't be that difficult I just need to find an old frame to put the body on or fab one. There is some really cool stuff on that site.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Your best bet would be to get an old one from ebay or somewhere, you can mix and match frames and bodies easily. Most will just need stripped down, blasted, repaired and painted and away you go. Charnwoods are expensive for old sidecars needing repaired, I've seen many go on ebay for a couple of hundred quid, just make sure you fit a heavy duty steering damper.

Good luck.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Cool. I hope you've either ridden one before or know what's in store, they're crazy things! Be careful.
I've got some 3-wheel experience with a Honda 3-wheeler before they got banned. . .
and I've done a lot of research about the riding differences, e.g., steer v. counter-steer, etc.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Three wheels

Here's mine, an 07 Bonneville with a 72-74 American Eagle car, Spirit Eagle model.
The only change since the picture is the lower front mount which was replaced with a more secure mounting.

·
Registered
402 Posts
That's nice, I like the idea of a footrest in the sidecar, think I'll pinch that idea from you. I see what you mean about the lower front mount, did you put a straighter connection in?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Mountin

That's nice, I like the idea of a footrest in the sidecar, think I'll pinch that idea from you. I see what you mean about the lower front mount, did you put a straighter connection in?
Here you go Lake, got this one from Motorvation....

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Mounting

That's better, it'll stop any flexing - very sturdy looking.
For sure Lake, I used the one that came with it at first but in looking at other rigs and getting good advice from the Hack forum over at ADV riders it was the best thing to do to put a proper mount on. That mount in the first pictures was actually a factory mount, since I've been into the sidecars I've looked around on the net and found two other similar front mounts on other cars that were up for sale or purchased so it seems at the time the cars were made, that was the existing technology of the day (1972).
These cars are very lightweight and so must be ballasted when empty, you can actually pick up the sidecar by it's wheel and tip the bike over easily. I normally carry about 100# when empty, my wife weighs 130 or so and when she rides I seldom take the ballast out.
The Triumphs are an excellent tug for sidecars and have been mounted to many different hacks as a tug. The newer Triumphs with the larger displacement and more power are even better than the older ones.
there are two other sidecar drivers on the NBR forum, Oregon Thruxton and Threewheelbonnie both of which have the same car attached, matter of fact that's where I first saw that type of car and fell in love with the shape and look of them....there are always some popping up on Craigslist and are usually priced between $500-1,000 used.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts