Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm still fiddling with the Thruxton. I actually liked the stock rear shocks, but a tiny voice in my head kept saying "Upgrade...you need to upgrade..."

So, I snagged a really nice, low-mileage pair of the Kawi ZRX1200 KYB piggyback shocks. They arrived today, look really great, and I quickly put 'em on. I set both the compression and rebound damping to '4' on both shocks and went for a ride. The compression pre-load came set on the 2nd position from full-slack and I left it there.

My ride over Laureles Grade (who knew) was uneventful, and honestly, I didn't feel a whole lot of difference compared to the OEM shocks! I'm pretty sure I don't have the setting combinations totally correct, and it will take some fiddling.

I just ordered a set of Progressive fork springs tonight (upgrade...you clown...upgrade!) and I'm gonna put in the 15W fork oil for better front feel. I already have a steering damper, so I should have a Thruxton "under control". Once I fit some stickier tires I will be a totally happy camper.

Here is a link to some pics of the bike I shot tonight with the new shocks installed. I think they look pretty cool on the Thruxxie, and frankly, even if they don't ever feel any better than the stockers it sure gains me a big pile of poseur points when it's parked at the cafe curb...or on Cannery Row during the US MotoGP!

http://picasaweb.google.com/BKL93908/ThruxtonKYBShocks#

Be sure to click on the 'slide-show' icon to get full-screen shots.

Any suggestions on KYB shock clicker settings and pre-load would be most appreciated! They didn't come with an owner's manual.

Cheers!
BLIGHT:motorbike:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
A really nice machine. The shocks definitely look the part and I'm sure you'll dial in some better handling once you've tuned up the forks. Well done...

·
Vendor
2,335 Posts
Hi Blight, snap, I've just done the same thing for my Bonnie. I found the standard springs on the KYB's are a little strong (depending how heavy you are) because the ZRX is heavier than our twins. Try the lowest setting for the spring preset and then measure the sag and go from there. The standard setting is 2 for both compression and rebound damping.

I have just fitted a pair of Ohlins springs of the same rate that come with the Ohlins shocks that fit our twins, but have found them a tad weak :(, so now I am having a pair of 9mm nylon spacers made up which when fitted should make the Ohlin springs just right on the second spring preset.

I came from the OEM Bonnie shocks and have found the KYB's to be far superior.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Blight - that's a great looking bike! If you ever need to park it somewhere for a summer, I'll be happy to look after it for you! ;) Probably without putting too many miles on it either. I get to determine what "too many" means of course! :D

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys...I actually think the chrome OEM shock springs might be a little better match if they could be placed on the KYB bodies, but I think they are a couple of inches too long, and a little too small in inside diameter by just eyeballing them. I kind of miss the chrome back there where the springs are black now, but I'll get used to it. I just took the chain guard off at lunch break for a 'racier' look...

The KYB shocks have been on there a little over 24 hrs. so I need to get used to the looks and also the feel while riding. I did some reading on suspension setup and Doug Polen had a good article over on the ZRXOA website about setting the bike's suspension up for sag.

Using his recommendations (and yours) , I loosened the rear spring preload to the lowest setting, set the compression damping to '2' and rebound to '4'. I also loosened my front fork preload all the way out, then turned each side back in 5 full turns. The adjusters were screwed in practically all the way before!

I then checked the F/R sag...front was 1", rear was 3/4". That's all I could make it move from unloaded to sitting full weight on the seat.

Polen's preferred settings during his tests for the ZRX were 1.4" front and 1" rear, so I'm pretty close to his balance ratio. (The ZRX is about 50 lbs heavier than a Thruxton)

I took the bike over to get a sandwich at lunchtime and it seemed a lot more comfy and surefooted. No high-speed cornering going to the corner market, but it felt really good on the banked freeway on & off-ramps anyway.

Can't wait to get the Progressive front springs in along with the 15W!

Thanks again...
Cheers!
BLIGHT:motorbike:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts