Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
g'day

I put my '08' thrux in today to have the a set of thunderbike cams fitted and a re-tune. They have done a dyno run before they started and it put down 62hp not bad. After cams fitted they did a quick run to see how it was running and it went 68hp with not much torque as leaning straight out so the bike is still in there over night while they tune it. Just to let you know the bike has ai removed, predators,39mm fcr, air box removed. I just put the preds on i had TOR'S before, i have also ceramic coated the header pipes well worth it as it keeps the heat down. So when i get the bike back i will post the finished hp figure up.

I can say the first year of ownership of the bike has been so much fun with being able to modify it step by step and to see how each mod changed the bike. Now i hope to just clock up the kays and enjoy it for awhile now with out doing much more to it :D.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Same here. Very curious if you lose low end torque with those cams if not bumping compression.
I look forward to the your dyno graphs.
Cheers,
George

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Nice. Already +6 rwhp and you're not done yet.

Please do post your runs once you get the jetting dialed in on the new cams! I'm doing the exact same thing right now with the '01 790 cams on my thruxton...my initial dyno w/ the stock cams is right where you were at with 62 RWHP (stock carbs, no airbox, d&d pipes).

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Please do post your runs once you get the jetting dialed in on the new cams! I'm doing the exact same thing right now with the '01 790 cams on my thruxton...my initial dyno w/ the stock cams is right where you were at with 62 RWHP (stock carbs, no airbox, d&d pipes).

Cheers,

--Rich
I think you'll pick up 5hp with those cams and lose some tq under/around 3,000 rpms (but you won't really notice the loss b/c the motor will feel so much healthier).

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Sweet! My goal is 70 rwhp & 50 ft-lbs...between the cams, the ignitor reprogramming, and some refined jetting I should be about there! And I still have some CR carbs in my back pocket to try once those changes are made...

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh well still no bike back yet as they want to make sure everything is fine with the tune so i guess i will be waiting till monday now to get the bike back.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Sweet! My goal is 70 rwhp & 50 ft-lbs...between the cams, the ignitor reprogramming, and some refined jetting I should be about there! And I still have some CR carbs in my back pocket to try once those changes are made...

Cheers,

--Rich
you should be close to 70 and those carbs should get you there if not. You'll love the way it runs. The 790 cams are so much better than the 865 cams and Triumph had the gall to say the Thrux got hotter cams in their advertising. Liars!

·
Registered
630 Posts
One thing that puzzles me is why it is so hard to get to 70RWHP with an 865 even with an ARK, ignitor mod, Preds and a cam that is roughly equal to a 790 cam when Pieman can get his 790 to 70RWHP without the benefit of the extra 75cc?

One would think that, with equivalent cams and the same mods, an 865 should be able to make better than 75RWHP based on the extra 75cc. Of course this assumes that you are as clever as Pieman when it comes to tuning but is that really the only difference?

Maybe it is. :confused:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Send me your igniter and a duplicate will be yours. :D
What? I just have to send my ignitor and no money? :p

And how long will I be without my beloved Bonnie while my ignitor goes on a "round the world" trip? :(

Is there any advantage in starting with a 790 ignitor compared to an 865 ignitor or are the maps exactly the same regardless of which ignitor you are programming and the resulting products identical?

Pity the damn things are so expensive or I'd buy a spare to ship over so that I wouldn't be without a bike during the process.

·
Vendor
2,431 Posts
Is there any advantage in starting with a 790 ignitor compared to an 865 ignitor or are the maps exactly the same regardless of which ignitor you are programming and the resulting products identical?
Only an advantage if you have 790 cams fitted to an 865. All five maps on the 790's are different to the 865's on both the 360° and 270° engines. But all 865 360° maps are the same including the Thruxton and all 865 270° maps are the same even the Scrambler.

Interestingly, if you install 790 cams on a 270° 865 engine and then transfer the 790 maps to the 865 igniter with out some map 1 and map 2 adjustment, you get terrific overrun explosions in your pipes. By explosions I mean much louder than your usual bangs and pops you get with open type silencers.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
mike is the total wot advance the same with the 865 as the 790? after its all the way advanced?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
One would think that, with equivalent cams and the same mods, an 865 should be able to make better than 75RWHP based on the extra 75cc. Of course this assumes that you are as clever as Pieman when it comes to tuning but is that really the only difference?
Yep, that's the difference. A good tuner is everything IMHO. I'm not all that when it comes to fine tuning, but my thruxton was making a sad 49-50 rwhp when I got it (that's w/ airbox removed and d&d pipes already fitted!!).

Just through systematic jetting changes - it was running horribly rich - I got it to make 62 rwhp...and my guess is that there's 2 or 3 hp left given fine tuning of the jetting/intake tract length. This is with stock 865 cams. I can't wait to get after those 790 cams!

Regards,

--Rich

·
Registered
630 Posts
Only an advantage if you have 790 cams fitted to an 865.
Or good aftermarket cams?

All five maps on the 790's are different to the 865's
So, if I'm understanding you correctly here, if I send you a 790 ignitor and an 865 ignitor and request the same rev limit for both and 3 degrees more advance at WOT for both, when they are returned all five maps on the 790 ignitor will still be different to the 865 ignitor?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts