Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had ridden both, and my head said: Thruxton, but my heart said: TBS. So I got one.

Did you ever get that feeling? Which way do you swing?!

:cool:

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
My first choice was a TBS - but it's almost impossible to find a reasonable one in South Africa. Luckily my wife bought me the Thruxton - no regrets. But it's kinda like marriage - you always wonder if the grass is greener on the other side. In my case I know it's not.

·
Registered
959 Posts
On 2006-11-15 18:59, Thrux-ton-up wrote:
You can't really make a wrong choice here can you?? As you can see Stunta's TBS was a lot of inspiration for my own ride. JCW

What a Class Act This photo. :cool:

Not a Yamahonsuzisaki in sight :-D

No Hardliableto's or their Nipper clones either :cool:

Steve, gears and mechanical contrivances

:yayyy: :chug: :yayyy: :-D

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
Simon'
Always go with your heart.
You made the right choice.

Triples Rule!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Simon'
Always go with your heart.
You made the right choice.

Triples Rule!
you're right! If you go with the 'right' decision you're always left with that itch you can't scratch and wishing you had the other bike. I know if I had the Thruxton I'd be looking at TBSs all the time..

Those are two really good looking bikes in the photo above.
On a cafe bike theme, I've started buying some mods for the TBS. Apart from the injured parts bits, I've ordered some Halcyon mirrors and a Mecatwin solo seat. A bit dear but looks the biz :)

[ This message was edited by: senyorsimon on 2006-11-19 16:24 ]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thniking about it, apart from the gruntier triple block, it's the 17 inch wheels that really make the difference.

If the Thruxton could be modded with 17 inchers I reckon it'd be much stabler and a better product.

You know what I mean?

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I doubt it, Triumph's chassis engineers designed the whole bike, frame, suspension, etc around those wheel sizes 17+18''. Changing to a 17'' front wheel would decrease the rake possibly making it handle weird, the steering would be quicker, but the rake/trail would be off.

You'd need a longer front end at least.

I don't know how you think it would make a "stabler better product." I'm guessing you aren't a chassis designer or know much about rake/trail. You know what I mean?

[ This message was edited by: sweatmachine on 2006-11-20 13:21 ]

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Thats funny because the Honda 900RR came with a 16" front wheel which had a tendency to tuck in and be unstable so lots of people converted happily to 17" front wheels. But what do they know, they're not chassis designers.

Lots of people drop the front end of their bikes 1/4" and are much happier with the results, but what do they know they're not chassis designers.

I've dropped mine close to 3/4 without any issues, but what do I know...

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
we're talking about Thruxtons here, not CBRs, I don't think they're unstable stock. I have lowered my front end about 15mm, it handles better than stock.

It was not unstable before, I don't think putting a 17'' wheel would make it a better package. It looks better with the 18'' or 19'' wheel in my case than it would with 17''s fore and aft.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have different sized tyres on my scooter, but that's not what I want on a motorcycle.

The 18" front and 17" definitely makes the Thruxton look more authentic, but the designers of the TBS decided that 2 x 17" wheels looks authentic enough also.

If having two different sized wheels is as stable as two same sized ones, why don't modern bikes also do this?

One of the reasons I ruled out the Thruxton was because I couldn't fit two fat 17" wheels.

----------
No need to get personal and sarcy when discussing the bikes. None of us here personally designed them (or the chassis! I'm no techie). It's a discussion board. Of course we'll disagree!! That's the fun for most people :)

[ This message was edited by: senyorsimon on 2006-11-20 16:06 ]

·
Registered
290 Posts
sweatmachine

The Thruxton has a 18" front wheel and the Bonnie a 19" front wheel, right? So that's only dropping the front end by a 1/2", same if you went from 18" to a 17" wheel on a Thruxton, so that's not going to change things all that much. I don't know when it was you've ridden a Thruxton, but yes they are un stable, or at least compared to my BMW's. They do need a steering stabilizer! Oh ya, I used to build Harley race bikes and have been all around the race circuit along with dirt track bikes and cars! Also come from a family of inventors.

·
Registered
711 Posts
sweat, a little case of the a** over a minor observation made by Simon? I took it as him thinking out loud, like many do when contemplating issues on topics. If your reply was tongue in cheek, it may have come across differently, at least as I was reading his/your posts. He never claimed to be an engineer for Triumph, are you?

You adjusted 15mm, others 1/4 - 1/2 inch, etc. Rim sizes, tire profiles , handlebar, triple clamps and suspension length, etc. are different model to model and year to year with no change to the basic frame. All these things contribute on how a bike responds to rider input and handling. What ticked you off over his comment?

Peace, ride safe.
BobW

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well I certainly didn't mean to sound upset, and I apologize if I came across that way!
Apology accepted. We've go to remember that their are real guys on the other end of comments not 'virtual' ones.
------------------------

Anyway, another thing I found about the Thruxton was that the bars were too low. I did a fairly long hard trip on one and found my wrists and back were hurting. I guess a bar riser kit solves that. I reckon Triumph may lose sales from this as I imagine that it is the 'mature' target group (like me) that it appeals to, a group with a high % of bad backs! Maybe they should add 'bar risers' to their accessories catalogue?
How do Thruckies find the position?
Again just thinking out loud.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts