Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has unexpectedly developed an interest in riding with me. Would a regular bonnie be a better machine for a passenger? I am thinking of selling the thruxton and either getting a T-100 or a Sprint ST. I like the idea of a Bonnie with some bags and a comfy seat for back road touring but wonder if the Sprint ST or even a BMW R1200RT would make alot more sense. Any thoughts on the Bonnie as a touring machine?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
If I were to go two up very often, or very far, I'd go Tiger or Sprint. You know how much stuff women can pack. ;)

I like the BMWs, but they are out of my price range.

·
Registered
56 Posts
On 2007-03-12 19:40, ThruxtonMI wrote:
My wife has unexpectedly developed an interest in riding with me. Would a regular bonnie be a better machine for a passenger? I am thinking of selling the thruxton and either getting a T-100 or a Sprint ST. I like the idea of a Bonnie with some bags and a comfy seat for back road touring but wonder if the Sprint ST or even a BMW R1200RT would make alot more sense. Any thoughts on the Bonnie as a touring machine?
this is the machine for you, my wife loves riding on the back of it. I will take your Thruxton in trade?

·
Registered
486 Posts
On 2007-03-12 19:40, ThruxtonMI wrote:
My wife has unexpectedly developed an interest in riding with me. Would a regular bonnie be a better machine for a passenger? I am thinking of selling the thruxton and either getting a T-100 or a Sprint ST.
The Bonnie would be better than the Thrux, but the Sprint ST would be better than either.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
If at all humanly possible, keep the thrux and buy a Sprint. Buy used and save yourself some cash. The bonnie is ok but leaves a lot to be desired for your passenger.

·
Registered
486 Posts
On 2007-03-13 12:33, d2mini wrote:
The bonnie is ok but leaves a lot to be desired for your passenger.
How so? Even with the stock setup, it has a long, level seat with low pegs. Add a K&Q seat and it's a very neutral and comfortable riding position with clear visibility.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
On 2007-03-13 13:07, Orpheus wrote:
How so? Even with the stock setup, it has a long, level seat with low pegs. Add a K&Q seat and it's a very neutral and comfortable riding position with clear visibility.
Compared to the Sprint, no visibility if you are of similiar height. Uncomfortable stock seat, king and queen not much better. Needs backrest due to sit-up riding position. And then there is the storage issue. Sure you can make mods to the bonnie to help the situation, but in my experience (check my photo album) it still doesn't work as well as a stock Sprint. This is why I sold the bonnie and bought a VStrom for 2 up riding. In the end the bonnie just didn't work for us and we are a collective 290lbs. The Strom is cheaper and does the job MUCH better. Sprint would be similiar and with a better engine and more $. Not saying you can't do it, but there's much better options for 2 up.

·
Registered
980 Posts
My chick loves to ride on the back of my bonnie.

·
Registered
781 Posts
When I had the '05 Sprint ST, my wife was a bit uncomfortable with the high seating position. She felt too far "up in the air." The power and handling of the Sprint were unbeatable, though. For fifty mile jaunts, she's quite happy with the Bonnie.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I took my passenger pegs off of my Thrux just so I wouldn't have to 'entertain an errant interest' from my wife in riding two up.

If she’s really gets the bug for riding, I suppose I will have to break down and get another bike... Sprint/BMW or G-Wing. :-D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the responses - i am 6'1" and the wifey is about 5'5" so a higher seating position for her might be important, unless she would enjoy looking at the back of my helmet. I would love to keep the thrux and buy a sprint or a bmw or an fjr as a second bike, etc but would prefer to own just one machine. Would hate to sell the thruxton. I have become very attached to it.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
My g/f is happy riding on th eback of my bonnie for miles. She likes the upright seating postion and relaxed leg angle.

We did some miles last summer with full camping gear etc, Bagster tank bag , Triumph soft panniers and renntec rear rack with waterproof bag. No complaints from her , but this year, the shocks needs an upgrade.
She rode pillion on my SV650S , and couldn't wait to get off, very cramped, and too high in the air.

If you're happy with the Thrux, why not just get some extra parts (handlebars, seat etc) to make it more touring-friendly, and swap out when the need arises.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I hate to admit it - but I had one of the new Sprint STs and just couldn't get on with it - plus my wife hated the seat poition - up in the air way above the rider, with her knees under her chin! I know it was a fantastic bike - just didn;t work for us.

She an I both love the T100 - she wanted a backrest which I provided, but I change it for a grabrail (only 4 screws) when she's not on the back.
Oddl;y we also have an old Trident Sprint Exec (the early one with round headlights, half fairing and luggage) which she likes too - much more than the flash and oh so quick Sprint ST (we had a red one without ABS).

So it depends - if you missus likes sports tourers like the Blackbird etc she might prefer the Sprint - but my advice would be both of you take a long long test ride on both machines!

·
Registered
34 Posts
i haven't posted here in a long time, but this is a good one to get back into the swing of things.

i find my bonnie is just ok for short cruises when riding 2-up. things get very cramped after about 15 minutes and there's little space for anything but the riders. another problem is the bonnie's slightly below average front brake. throw extra needs at it and it gets worse.

if it helps, i am 6' and weigh about 180. my girl is tiny, just 5' 2" and maybe 110. she is a good passenger, but with my height i get more uncomfortable than her.

i have been trying to convince her we need something with more legroom for both rider and passenger, better brakes, a bit more power, wind protection, and the possibility of small bags. i don't care for the sprint at all, so we are considering a bmw.

i'm keeping the bonnie, though.

G

·
Hi I have fitted the "king and queen seat " and chrome grab rail to my thruxton . The seat is really comfortable . I have also fitted Ikon fork springs and alloy gas shocks + the HYDE steering damper and fork brace which vastly improved the handling. This could be a cheaper option. Pedro

1 - 17 of 17 Posts