Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys - I have an '06 Thruxton, pretty much bone stock at this point. I got the bike with TORS from the dealer and like them - nice sound without angering the neighbors. I'm going to do a NARK in the near future and was considering a set of Dominators.

Aside from a slightly sweeter exhaust note (which might get more neighborhood notice :)), will the Dominators or Predators flow noticeably more than TORS? More HP, torque, different curve, etc.? With Brent's 10% off sale, I'm very tempted but am having a tough time justifying a new exhaust when I'm really not dissatisfied with the TORS. If the Dominators drove a nice jump in power when combined with a NARK on an otherwise stock 865cc, that might help. Also, if I get really nutty and do a 904cc kit with Mikuni HSR42s, would the TORS be too much of a restriction?

Any feedback is appreciated, particularly from those that have gone from TORS to Dominators/Predators. It's high 20s/low 30s here today with white sh!t on the ground, so dreaming about my Thuxton is keeping me sane till spring.

Thx...

Jason

·
30,173 Posts
The TORs are surprisingly restrictive - I only know that from some minor jetting mucking about on my own bike.

My understanding is that the preds flow more freely, and allow for a larger main jet to be used than if you were using TORs (with the airbox gone anyway), but I couldn't tell you how much HP is involved, 'cos I haven't done it yet.

I think you would get a good power jump if you pulled the airbox and kept the TORs. I was going to do that, but decided to heck with it and bought preds anyway.

I might do an apples to apples TORs vs Preds power comparison in spring, if I feel the urge. But I might not.

·
30,173 Posts
And here is some evidence:

robnobrakes TORs vs Preds Dynos

Which is cool - means I don't have to arse around proving it. I can go straight to my predators and be done with it.

Robnobrakes must know his stuff, he comes from the same place as me. :D

Anyway, the dyno facts speak for themselves - the sound aspect you have to judge for yourself. I can't wait to find out on that one!

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
And here is some evidence:

robnobrakes TORs vs Preds Dynos

Which is cool - means I don't have to arse around proving it. I can go straight to my predators and be done with it.

Robnobrakes must know his stuff, he comes from the same place as me. :D

Anyway, the dyno facts speak for themselves - the sound aspect you have to judge for yourself. I can't wait to find out on that one!
lol I hope you know better then not to run air filters

·
30,173 Posts
Dammit! Did I paste the wrong link in there? I'll go check.

As long as he was doing apples to apples TORs vs Preds it doesn't matter - although, yeah, I'm putting air filters on. It's dusty around here.

EDIT: No - that's the thread - it's an old one but it's still valid - he says he was using K and N pods, so I'm not sure where your no air filter comment comes in Mike? It's a nice comparison in fact.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dammit! Did I paste the wrong link in there? I'll go check.

As long as he was doing apples to apples TORs vs Preds it doesn't matter - although, yeah, I'm putting air filters on. It's dusty around here.

EDIT: No - that's the thread - it's an old one but it's still valid - he says he was using K and N pods, so I'm not sure where your no air filter comment comes in Mike? It's a nice comparison in fact.
He "was" using K&N filters. Now he runs FCR39 with velocity stacks...however his engine seems still healthy looking at his last dyno (http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/98616-thunderbike-cams-3.html).

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
He "was" using K&N filters. Now he runs FCR39 with velocity stacks...however his engine seems still healthy looking at his last dyno (http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/98616-thunderbike-cams-3.html).
that seams to be a pretty good running 904 thats din hp so I think that is 86hp sae not bad.If he rides it much it wont stay fast long with the stacks.Air filters are must if you ride the bike much and there are filters out there that flow just as good as no filters so its kinda dumb to take the chance.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Okay, I'd like to nominate the "Triumph mod bug" to the American Medical Association's list of recognized diseases. :D This thing is brutal...

Brent's 10% off sale combined with the eBay Live Search 25% rebate means I got a set of Dominator Sports, a NARK, a carb screw kit, and a D-tool for a deal I couldn't say no to.

So much for my "suspension only" upgrades this year... :D

Thanks for the advice guys!

Jason

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
It appears that my name has been mentioned a few times in this thread LOL

I've been running the bike with open velocity stacks for well over 3,000 miles. The component parts of the engine showed absolutely not signs of wear when it was opened up for the big valve/camshaft job. The valve seats and valves were perfect. I have to be honest here and say V stacks are on because they look cool IMO. The engine oil and filter have been changed 5 times in the 8,000+ miles covered so far.

I still have the K&N pod filters, they are restrictive to the tune of 2bhp, and they look gross IMO. If someone can suggest a more attractive (and efficient option) I would be happy to look at it.

The Predator exhausts are definately more efficient than the TORS in the mid-range as can be seen in my earlier dyno comparison, but there is minimal differences at maximum revs.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Unifilters recommended by mikeinva are not available in England. I have bought and fitted these Ramair foam filters, which look very similar to the Uni's. The salt infested filthy road conditions here at the moment has prevented me from testing them out so far.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone have any numbers and/or experience with the Dominators vs. TORs?

Predators were just too loud for the my neighbors at the time of morning I leave for work. The TORs are fine but I'd rather have the Predator HP curve if it could be done with less noise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts