Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
British weather being what it is ...rubbish for biking this time of year my new Thruxton has been laid up keeping warm in the workshop with the same 5 miles on it since I had it delivered. One clear day last week so I go to start it and despite the TOR pipes booming into life straight away the thing wont keep running unless on full choke, even when hot reducing choke it cuts out and any touch on the throttle the motor just cuts out. Any ideas anyone. Yes it will be going back to the dealer.
It hasn't dampened my thrill of owning one at last , it's just cheesed me off a bit as the weather is fine today.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Funny you bring this up.
Im going to start of by saying that California is abnormally cold this year. I mean at my house it is an average of 20 - 60 degrees.

Anyhow, Sunday I had a very hard time warming the bike up. It was like the choke kept going out. Not sure what was happening, but the choke would set the idle then all of a sudden it would poop out unless reved, which is the whole reason why there is a choke.

Seems like these bikes have a few flaws, or is it just I do not know what I am talking about and it happens to everyone...

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a stupid question.

Are you guys turning your gas off promptly after each ride before you let it sit in the garage until the next weekend's ride, or do you always leave it in the "ON" position?

JOHN

·
Registered
141 Posts
Grab the appropriate size allen key and drain a bit of fuel out of each carb. I reckon you've a got a bit of water in there.

Cheers,

Russ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always make a point of turning off petrol, only made this mistake once, with my Norton, to find next day a good fire hazard all over the workshop floor after float didn't shut off either.
The Thruxton had stood for a while with temperature / humidity going all over the place so water is feasible. Wll check. Thanks for responses.
***** snow today so thats another week lost.
IAn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts