Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone tried these??

http://www.madss.com/eshopprod_cat_4966-3581-12488-12497_product_622406.Sports_Luggage_Set.htm

i'm noticing these are noticably cheaper than most triumph bags, but i like the look of them on the thrux, and think they'd look great on my BB. but it looks like they're thrown right over the seat, so i'm guessing triumph probably doesn't include teh racks with these like they do with some of their other models? i've searched the forum, but if anyone has got these on their bike with an under the seat mount, or further input, i'd love to see it!!

thanks,

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just received a set for my Thruxton. They have a saddle pad that ties to the seat & drapes over the seat with snaps to attach the bags. They are really well made and have an integral rain cover that pulls out to cover the bags. They also expand to a larger size. I like em.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just received a set for my Thruxton. They have a saddle pad that ties to the seat & drapes over the seat with snaps to attach the bags. They are really well made and have an integral rain cover that pulls out to cover the bags. They also expand to a larger size. I like em.

so no luggage racks at all? is an under the seat mounting possible?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also does this setup go under your cowl, or do you gotta remove it in order for it to function?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a set for my Thruxton, quality is good and they easily hold enough stuff for a weekend get away. you do have to remove the seat cowl to install the mounting pad. it straps around the back half of the seat. the nice thing is that they are easily removable for when you don't need saddlebags:D

·
Registered
276 Posts
We have had those for the T100 since 2005. I actually used a second set on my '73 Bonnie, '73 Tiger, Moto Guzzi 750 Breva, and the Ducati 620 Multistrada. They are excellent!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what about under the seat?

hey guys,

does anyone know if these would mount ok on a BB under the seat? i'm gonna be using these for commuting, and though not likely, i'd like they secured under the seat for security and to look cleaner too. my concern is since they don't come with the pannier racks, if i install them under my solo seat, they may bang into the wheels??

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
feedback! bags on a bonnie

hey guys,

here's a quick photoshop comp i did of the bonnie with the thruxton sports luggage set on it. i set it up as close to scale as possible, and also how they would look if these could be put under the seat so they don't ride so high. i actually like how they look!!! if i can get the proper feedback as to if these can mount under the seat, and still have no interference with the shock or rear wheel, i'm going to grab a set. anyone have any real pics of this under the seat setup, along with some comments and feedback?

·
Registered
276 Posts
here are two pics of the mount and mounted. The strap goes around the tail end of any bench seat and can be sat on, there are 2 straps that go under the seat and tighten into loops on the cushion, then 4 snap clips to clip them on and off. Tight and secure, although when loaded I find bungee cords to keep them away from the wheels is a nice safety precaution.

They come with built in rain protection and expand to twice their size, great for shopping and travel.

When we got them back in '05 they were marketed for the Sprint I think and came with a bag of mounting hardware that does no good for the Bonnie.

Its a wonder Triumph took a couple years to realize they could be used on anything!

and I mean ANYTHING.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here are two pics of the mount and mounted. The strap goes around the tail end of any bench seat and can be sat on, there are 2 straps that go under the seat and tighten into loops on the cushion, then 4 snap clips to clip them on and off. Tight and secure, although when loaded I find bungee cords to keep them away from the wheels is a nice safety precaution.
so and under teh seat only option for a nice clean look is not an option with these? do you by chance know if the new oens sold for the thrux come with any additional mounting hardware?

·
Registered
276 Posts
so and under teh seat only option for a nice clean look is not an option with these? do you by chance know if the new oens sold for the thrux come with any additional mounting hardware?
I think under the seat would be possible with some monkeying but I'm not 100s on that, you'd have to make your own mounting method using clips - if I was out by the bike with the seat off my mind could flow but I'm in bed so that doesn't do much good.

I don't have a clue. I figure they sell essentially what I ended up with which is just the strap bit and the bags, as that's all you need.

It's not as clean looking, but the quality is good and as you said, its cheaper.

I saw some other under the seat mounted Triumph bags ages ago, maybe the city bags? Not sure that clipped on and wondered if maybe the clips were in the same places. I don't have the spare money to buy that mounting hardware right now to test my theory and the local Triumph dealer didn't have any in stock to go look at.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmmm perhaps i'll grab a set off of madss first to see and see if they can work out. if not, i can always just return them and then be short some shipping fees.

·
Registered
276 Posts
hmmmm perhaps i'll grab a set off of madss first to see and see if they can work out. if not, i can always just return them and then be short some shipping fees.
Indeed. I think you might be able to mount them the way you want (been thinking on it) but not sure. I'm the kinda guy who doesn't mind bungees and racks and boxes, and so on - and can't because I haven't got a car, it's quite hard to care about things looking so clean when you gotta do everything on the bike... but then I wouldn't have it any other way.

Point is, these bags are EXCELLENT if you don't mind loosing a bit of the clean look. If you do, they might not be your thing.

·
Registered
921 Posts
i have a pair of nelson-rigg (see below) soft bags that i use under the seat. . . but yeah, wouldn't be comfortable without some sort of bracket to keep them off the back wheel. you'll need something like this.

they're innocuous enough to leave on even when the bags aren't

the good news is that you can get something like this for a fraction of the price of the triumph bags and come out pretty much even. an added benefit is you'll be saving yourself from a 10th triumph badge on the bike ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have a pair of nelson-rigg (see below) soft bags that i use under the seat. . . but yeah, wouldn't be comfortable without some sort of bracket to keep them off the back wheel. you'll need something like this.

they're innocuous enough to leave on even when the bags aren't

the good news is that you can get something like this for a fraction of the price of the triumph bags and come out pretty much even. an added benefit is you'll be saving yourself from a 10th triumph badge on the bike ;)
newbonneville has had those racks listed as out of stock for like a month now...i've been waiting to order thoes too!

·
Registered
445 Posts
newbonneville has had those racks listed as out of stock for like a month now...i've been waiting to order thoes too!
Although they've been listed out of stock, I was able to get a pair about a month ago. Just send Brent an email to see if there are any left.

MC Resources is phasing in a "bulkier" version so I'm glad a was able to get one of the hard to get svelte sets. Never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Although they've been listed out of stock, I was able to get a pair about a month ago. Just send Brent an email to see if there are any left.

MC Resources is phasing in a "bulkier" version so I'm glad a was able to get one of the hard to get svelte sets. Never hurts to ask.
i'll check with brent tomorrow on that!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got them with my thruxton, But I never used them. I didn't even know how to mount them until I read this thread. Thranks :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use the MotoPak GTS-60 on my thruxton with the roll bag above. I dont have any installed pics atm, but i will be putting them back on next week and get some up. I can get a tent, seeping back, pillow, and all the clothes I need for a week in these. I had to install a bracket i bought from Precision motorcycle racks off ebay fo 55. but theres several brackets from other manufacturers to that work.

http://www.motopakluggage.com/gts60.html
http://www.motopakluggage.com/gttail2.html

1 - 19 of 19 Posts