Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Thruxton R / 2013 Yama FJR
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
Ive read some threads about it being normal for triumph to have speedometers reading faster than actual but has anyone had a Thruxton read slower than actual?

I just bought a used 2019 Thruxton R with 1400ish miles and it reads 10-15 mph slower than my actual speed (which I compared to gps). Also, I don’t know if this is normal for the thruxton analog gauge, but mine doesn’t start from zero, it starts below it. When it reads zero I’m probably doing 5-ish mph.
Think it’s a gauge issue or is this the normal 10% deal? Kind of surprised it’s reading slower than actual which seems dangerous (I’m mainly just worried about getting a ticket for speeding well above what I think I’m doing).
Here’s a pic:
Motorcycle Speedometer Automotive lighting Automotive tire White

thanks,
-GB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now that I look at other pics online, they all start at zero (which makes sense, but new to Triumph and didn’t know if that was a weird thing or not). Mine obviously doesn’t. I bought the bike used from a bigger dealership “as is” (can’t believe I didn’t notice this when I test rode.. do you guys think it’s reasonable for me to have them fix the issue even though I bought it as is? It’s still under warranty regardless, but I guess it’s just the principle of the whole thing. And also, has anyone seen this issue before just out of curiosity?

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Simplest fix, open the unit, carefully remove the needles (you can use a fork with a cloth below to lever them off).
Next, plug the dash in, ignition on, to make sure the motors have zeroed the positions, then stuck the needles back on at zero.
I'm guessing someone striped the dash, perhaps replacing the plastic dial to make the backlight more visible, and screwed up the reinstallation.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheGreenBasturd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Simplest fix, open the unit, carefully remove the needles (you can use a fork with a cloth below to lever them off).
Next, plug the dash in, ignition on, to make sure the motors have zeroed the positions, then stuck the needles back on at zero.
I'm guessing someone striped the dash, perhaps replacing the plastic dial to make the backlight more visible, and screwed up the reinstallation.

Awesome, thanks Jsobell. I’ll give this a try this weekend and let you know how it goes.
Still no response from the dealership which is disappointing.

thanks!

-GB

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Off topic a little, but where does the speedo read from...Is it the gearbox or front wheel ABS, etc ?

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Rear wheel ABS

Reactions: 1peter
1 - 6 of 6 Posts