Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speedo on my 2005 Thruxton has started making a steaming noise once you hit about 70km per hour. The needle swings violently around the dial, swinging violently from zero all the way round to about 160 km per hour - randomly back and forth. I took the speedo off the bike and had a look but it seems to be a sealed unit. Are they a throw away unit or can it be repaired. Anyone had a similar issue? I think I know the answer but would appreciate comments.
Regards
Ian Todd

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm with PieMan, most likely either the cable or the drive plate that fits in the hub. Both cheaper than a speedo so I'd start there first.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Remove the inner cable, check condition and relubricate if required. There was a recent very thorough discussion of this on here.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yeah.....check cable. Mine came completely undone on my 08 Thrux. Speedo went dead and I just happened to be close to my dealer. Stopped and started beaching about it to the GM. He casually reached down and reattached it.

I felt like an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Already checked the speedo cable and lubed it. Haven’t replaced he drive down on the wheel but when I ride the bike with the cable disconnected the problem goes away and returns when cable reconnected. Tempted to replace the drive down on the wheel but gut feel I should it’s the speedo. The noise is piercing when it is evident, I can hear it through ear plugs and helmet on and the speedo looks like it’s going to explode.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Already checked the speedo cable and lubed it. Haven’t replaced he drive down on the wheel but when I ride the bike with the cable disconnected the problem goes away and returns when cable reconnected. Tempted to replace the drive down on the wheel but gut feel I should it’s the speedo. The noise is piercing when it is evident, I can hear it through ear plugs and helmet on and the speedo looks like it’s going to explode.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
If you are confident that its a knackered speedo it won't hurt to take it apart when you have a replacement available . I currently use gps speedo on my 900 Thruxton and ignore the stock needle that waves vaguely in my face as its only accurate twice a wave .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had similar thoughts on both accounts, not sure if GPS speedo is legal here in AUST but I should be able to find out without too much difficulty. Like you say if it’s buggered I might as well pull it apart and see if I can fix it. I’m a bit old school so I’ve got it in my mind that something needs lubricant in there somewhere but I’m pretty sure theses speedos use magnets and induced voltage. It’s going to wreck the casing pulling it apart so it’s a job for when I have a replacement at hand which may take some time. So perhaps GPS for the immediate future. If I have any luck with fixing it I’ll post the results and the fix.
Thanks for responding. Cheers Ian T.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I have had similar thoughts on both accounts, not sure if GPS speedo is legal here in AUST but I should be able to find out without too much difficulty. Like you say if it’s buggered I might as well pull it apart and see if I can fix it. I’m a bit old school so I’ve got it in my mind that something needs lubricant in there somewhere but I’m pretty sure theses speedos use magnets and induced voltage. It’s going to wreck the casing pulling it apart so it’s a job for when I have a replacement at hand which may take some time. So perhaps GPS for the immediate future. If I have any luck with fixing it I’ll post the results and the fix.
Thanks for responding. Cheers Ian T.
There is a thread on here somewhere( I dont know how to search since the change) of BonnieBlack taking his speedo apart, see if you can find it, should be some helpful tips there.

Here, found it; Speedo replacement/repair

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I've also had success using fairly cheap pushbike speedo . Some do not read high enough but I remember one in a bike mag where they were using a radar gun to check top speed and it was only 0.8 mph out at 172 mph .

·
Registered
418 Posts
This is a common issue that has been well documented on this site. It's the inner cable needing lube or replacement. Typically happens when it's cold outside. My 2007 T100 has the same issue. I can wiggle the outer cable just below the spedo where the bend is and make the noise go away.
Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
The speedo on my 2005 Thruxton has started making a steaming noise once you hit about 70km per hour. The needle swings violently around the dial, swinging violently from zero all the way round to about 160 km per hour - randomly back and forth. I took the speedo off the bike and had a look but it seems to be a sealed unit. Are they a throw away unit or can it be repaired. Anyone had a similar issue? I think I know the answer but would appreciate comments.
Regards
Ian Todd
I have a brand new Thruxton Speedometer I never used...but what I think your problem is ....is a dry cable. Remove the cable and pull the wire cable out of the sheathing---and lube it with a good quality white lithium grease. Leave the top 2 inches with just a very--very lightly covered layer---maybe best none...you dont want any grease migrating up into the speedo unit. Also...remove the clip on the brake/speedo cable--so it makes for a better curve---not a sharp bend...and reroute the cable so it dosent go through the upper brake line loop.
That speedometer I have is P/N T2501261...fits a 2008 Model but probably for all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a brand new Thruxton Speedometer I never used...but what I think your problem is ....is a dry cable. Remove the cable and pull the wire cable out of the sheathing---and lube it with a good quality white lithium grease. Leave the top 2 inches with just a very--very lightly covered layer---maybe best none...you dont want any grease migrating up into the speedo unit. Also...remove the clip on the brake/speedo cable--so it makes for a better curve---not a sharp bend...and reroute the cable so it dosent go through the upper brake line loop.
That speedometer I have is P/N T2501261...fits a 2008 Model but probably for all.
Thanks for the info. I have actually already inspected and lubricated the cable with no noticeable improvement but I will repeat the process and hope for better results after reading your post. I will advise results when completed. Thanks again.

·
Registered
418 Posts
At least with my bike, it's the top two inches that are giving me the issue. My screeching is coming from the hard bend just below the speedometer.
Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At least with my bike, it's the top two inches that are giving me the issue. My screeching is coming from the hard bend just below the speedometer.
Mike
Thanks Mike, think I will focus on the simple things before replacing the speedo - drive and cable. Thanks for your comments.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts