Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fitting Thruxton stand on SE. Will also work for Bonnie, T100.

Raised the bike with new shocks and taller tires and had the lean thing freaking me out.
Searched the forum for detailed answers and found bits and pieces of info but nothing
definitive. Hopefully this will help anyone in the future trying to do the same.

Bought a used 08-15 TRIUMPH THRUXTON 900 side stand on ebay, $50 free shipping...

Thruxton stand is 15"-ish
Se stand 12"-ish

The clevis on the Thruxton stand is 3-4mm shallower than original

Used the "wheel of death" to grind out the clevis. Doubled up 2 cut-off wheels
(surly OSHA approved) and tightened down the chuck really tight. Read a post
where someone used a file, would've taken days.

Bolt threads are identical and bolted right up. Was a bit worried about the spring, easy.
I just hooked the spring on both the bike and stand and levered it on, easy, no issue,
or spring puller needed.

Considerable difference in the lean, very pleased with the effort.

Since installing the 2-1 exhaust, no pipe on left side...I changed out the lower frame
bolt for a longer one and slipped in through a piece of rubber hose for a stop.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Nice... I just added a Thruxton stand to my Bonnevile standard as I fit it with Thruxton length shocks and fork springs. I pretty much had to do exactly the same thing. Though I am thinking about cutting off the toe peg and moving it to the end closer to the stand's foot like the original. it's a little tough to kick out... but otherwise it took care of the extra lean.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
I put the Thrux stand on my T100 after fitting Thrux rear shocks. OEM stand was giving excessive lean. I did not need to modify the stand clevis at all. In order to better get on the knob with my boot heel, I just used a thick rubber bushing pushed over the knob to help hold the stand a little bit off the exhaust pipe...gives more clearance for the boot heel.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. Glad the thread is getting input...like I mentioned, I searched for ever and never really
found anything specific. Bought the Thrux stand not really knowing if I could get it to fit.
Hope it helps someone searching in the future.

It is goofy with a different kick-down lever...hoping to get used to it. Did read where a member
cut off the lever and re-welded it higher up.

Since installing the 2-1 exhaust the left side of bike is naked/no muffler hardware.
Longer frame bolt with a piece of 3/8" fuel hose as a bump stop.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,097 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good post avis360. Thanks for sharing.

I went the other way after lowering my wife's Thruxton.

FWIW I had a piece added to the kick out peg and it makes the world of difference. No more fumbling when trying to get the side stand down at a stop :)

https://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-technical-talk/455834-thruxton-side-stand-cut-and-shut.html
Thanks Steven,

Also, I have the shorter SE stand currently for sale on eBay, would work great for someone’s lowered bike.

Ray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts