Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be allot of seat questions floating around so I thought that I would add my $0.02 AUD worth.

Just for interest sake I thought that I would post the difference between the standard OEM Thruxton seat (MY2005) compared to the Aftermarket Triumph Bonneville SE gel seat.

I bought the seat on Ebay with the idea that it would make a bit of difference for Leonie and getting her feet on to the ground flat footed.

It makes about 1.5-2 cm of height difference and according to my wife's seatofthepantsometer doesn't feel any different comfort wise.

The SE seat is more scalloped out but is on the same seat pan. The rear of the SE is not as narrow as the Thruxtons and (with a push) you might be able to get the cowl back on but you would still need the screw attachments as the SE seat doesn't have these.

OEM Thruxton Triumph Bonnie SE gel seat

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well, I for one certainly appreciate the effort even if no one else did...

Thank you, Steventhechef-this was just what I was looking for.

Mongrel

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I knew that the information would be handy for someone at sometime along the way. Like most of it - it is not that important until you go to do the job and then go to research it. :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a Scrambler fitted with a Bonnie seat & a Thruxton with the standard seat, I find the Thruxton a little lower & with the different footpeg position it's much easier for me to get my feet on the ground with the Thruxton.

Just my $0.2 cents worth, Terry

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
For what it's worth, the gel seat needs some time to break in. When I first got a Thrux gel seat, it wasn't much different from the OEM, but over the course of about three tanks of gas, the seat began to feel much better. Gel seats are well worth the cost, IMHO.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was going to put the seat bolts for the cowl in to the Bonnie seat but ended up getting a deal on a MAS race seat and went that route.

The MAS seat is MUCH lower again.

·
Registered
688 Posts
FWIW I just changed the stock seat on my '12 standard for the sixty 8 contemporary seat. After about 550 miles on the stocker and100 on the sixty 8 I can say that for me the sixty 8 is BY FAR much more comfortable. As a plus the contemporary seat comes with the screw holes for the seat cowl.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts