Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else find the stand difficult to locate with their boot? Could be my feet/boot but I'm having to lean the bike over to the right to try and jab it...

Any aftermarket ones out there?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I found the same, it depends on your boots, it was almost impossible to locate with my Sidi boots and I started reaching down and using my hand.
But then I modified the sidestand "peg" by heating and bending it further out, then filed a flat on the ball and a diamond pattern for better grip, no problems since.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Point your toe sideways and use your heel. Much easier.

Reactions: Ashman

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Point your toe sideways and use your heel. Much easier.
That's what I used to do, it was just a PITA, which I could fix.
My SIDI boots have a tapered heel and if you look at the pictures you'll see how tight the "ball" of the stand is against the exhaust, its MUCH EASIER now.
Have seen many people mention it on here and in YouTube reviews and i'm sure like me they all know how to put a sidestand down.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Didn't think to try my heel!

I'm too short to bend down and use my hand - can only just tiptoe the bike- 5', 7" with a 30" leg.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quick google finds this - Anyone used one before? I think might getter better purchase on it...

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Thanks guys. Didn't think to try my heel!

I'm too short to bend down and use my hand - can only just tiptoe the bike- 5', 7" with a 30" leg.
How were you doing it before if not with your heel, I assumed everybody did it that way?
quick google finds this - Anyone used one before? I think might getter better purchase on it...
Don't think that will make any difference at all, if you look at the picture (or your bike) the foot of the sidestand is tucked right under the exhaust.
If you don't want to go fully with my idea, and I can understand people being cautious, then at least filing a flat on the ball will make it easier, you could also add an extra piece of rubber to the stop to move the stand out further, just have to be careful you don't go too far and it doesn't activate the sidestand switch.

I think the biggest reason some people manage and others really struggle though is the type of boots you wear and especially the shape of the back of the heel area.
I wasn't prepared to throw away a £200 great pair of boots to solve Triumphs poor design though.
And for anyone who doesn't appreciate the problem you can see how much of the original stand is exposed here and how hard it would be to find with my boots, never had a problem with any other bikes though.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
It would be a struggle with that heel. I wear 3 different types boots including Alpinestars sport riding boots and it is possible and you do get used to it with any boot with the exception of what is pictured above. Also agree reaching the side stand is more of a PITA than any bike I've previously owned. With every other bike I've ever owned I just flicked it down with my toe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps I just need to go full cowboy and wear spurs.
But yeah, it’s by far the most annoying side stand I’ve ever used.

I suspect my alpine stars are contributing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts