Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I really want a Thruxton. I was wondering since I have not sat on one yet (only sat on scrambler, and bonnie):

How is the riding position on the Thruxton, slightly upright, slightly bent, or bent over like a Super Sport bike ala CBR600RR?

Also can the seat cowl be removed and could a passenger ride in decent comfort for 50-75miles before stopping?

Finally how long of ride have you guys taken the Thruxton on (I know its not a touring bike), but I have had friends who have rode CBR's 700 miles to bike week stopping along the way (I would never do this as I can only ride 100 miles tops on a a SS bike before my wrist and back starts aching). I just don't want something that's is an around the town bike only. I want to be able to do 200 mile rides in a day, and the occasional track day, and commute to work everyday 35 miles round trip.

So what do you think?? Thanks

·
Registered
716 Posts
The Thruxton with two people

I own a Thruxton and I like it alot BUT the Thruxton is NOT as good as a standard Bonneville/T100 for riding two people. The Thruxton's rear passanger's feet cramp you and the passenger and you as the driver are leaning forward which I find comfortable by myself but NOT comfortable riding two up and the passenger is leaning on yourback...then try braking hard with someone on your back!!!...It's worse than a monkey on your back. You will hate it and your passenger will hate it! I know some contortionists with the need for pain will disagree with me BUT do yourself a favor and get a standard Bonneville or T100 if you are doing 2 up riding...the engines in both Bonnevilles and Thruxtons run the same now...You will love the standard Bonneville for riding by yourself or two up...I my opinion the Thruxton is not good for two people...yes you can ride 2 on a Thruxton in a pinch but if you are looking for a new bike the Thruxton is NOT comfortable with two "normal" people to ride...the Bonneville is wonderful for two up riding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. As for 2 up riding I may take my wife 5 times a year on the back on 60 mile round trip rides to the beach or diner. otherwise its me, and me alone riding 98% of the time.

As for riding 1up, how is the lean over? Are you as hunch as a SS bike or more like a Striple/Monster etc...? I currently have a KLR and a Ninja 650R. The KLR is upright, and the 650R is more like the Striples, maybe a bit more hunch, not sure.

Riding the Thruxton are you on your wrist all the time? Thanks

·
Registered
716 Posts
It depends

To say it is comfortable...It depends how tall you are...short people might say it is not comfortable. I am 6'2" and the riding position on my 2006 Thruxton with standard clip ons is not bad, I am probably at a 45 degree angle forward lean...the ride reminds me of my early 80 BMW R100 a forward lean but not cramped but you need to support yourself a bit untill at 80 MPH the wind holds you up...LOL...the newer Thruxtons have different bars than my bars and the newer bars are in my opinion a better choice since you can easly change bars to what ever you want...the Thruxton is a comfortable bike when you get used to it...but you better take the car to the beach with your wife on your once a year trips...she will need to get used to that monkey on your back riding position...and she will not like it...take them all for a test ride and see what you really like...the Thruxton is pulling you in with that sexy rear seat cowl...but ride all of them to decide...

·
Registered
716 Posts
OK here is my opinion

I don't know you but in my opinion for you the Bonneville either the standard or T100 is the ONLY way to go. Standard/T100 Bonnevilles are clearly more comfortable in every respect than the Thruxton and when you factor in the reach forward for you AND sometimes riding with a monkey on your back the Thruxton is NOT the way to go...you can get a seat cowl and whatever bars you want for the standard Bonnevilles...I know I'll probably get static from some 4'3" Thruxton rider who loves his Thruxton riding position with his or her pet monkey but really the standard Bonneville is what I recommend...to bad your on the East coast I'd let you try my bike, you would hate it though I am sure...Get the Bonneville and a seat cowl for it and have the best of both worlds and your wife will love you...that's the most important thing. Hey sit on both at the dealer and let me know what you think. I'll wager a beer or what ever refreshment you like that you will agree with me after you try it yourself...let me/us know what you think

·
Registered
93 Posts
you could always go with the bonnie and a set of m-bars or ace bars with rear sets. I went that route on mine and it seems to be a little bit more up right position than a thrux. Its still kind of a strange set up for 2 up riding because the back seat is still set up in the standard position. I'm about 5'7" 170 lbs and wont take a chick bigger than me for a ride. Biggest comfort problem i have found thus far is if she puts her feet to far forward on the pegs it gets in the way of my feet for shifting or breaking normally.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From my understanding the Bonnie and Thruxton share the same frame, tank, forks, and have the same rake, and geometry right??? If so isn't it just the clip-ons the only reason a rider is more hunched over on a Thruxton compared to the Bonnie.

So putting donkey ear bars on a Bonnie will create the same hunched over position on the Thrux, correct? Please fill in the correct info as I do not have that much Triumph knowledge. Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
The big thing the affects riding position is that the pegs and foot controls are further back on the thrux.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Same frames but MUCH different foot peg/brake parts

The Thruxton has such a different set of front and rear foot pegs and mounts that it would cost ALOT of money to change those parts. TOO much cost in my opinion. The Thruxton has little room for the passenger feet that get in the way of the driver...the begs and brake and shifter controls are far forward on the Bonnevilles. Yes same frames but way different parts that bolt on to those frames. I think the ease of the bar change on a standard Bonnie is the way to go...less $...you are locked into the foot position with the Thrux.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Riding 2 up on a Thrux is not so bad. I'm 6'3" 225#'s and the wife is 5'2" and 120#'s and we fit on the bike fine. The foot position is close but I can live with it and I wear a size 14 shoe. My wife doesn't ride all that often, if she did I might look at the Bonnie as some have suggested.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can someone compare the riding position on the Thruxton to other bike? Want to get an idea on how far over your hunched. Thanks

·
Registered
716 Posts
To InkSlinger

Riding 2 up on a Thrux is not so bad. I'm 6'3" 225#'s and the wife is 5'2" and 120#'s and we fit on the bike fine. The foot position is close but I can live with it and I wear a size 14 shoe. My wife doesn't ride all that often, if she did I might look at the Bonnie as some have suggested.
I hope you appreciate your wonderful wife InkSlinger but don't give her a ride on a standard Bonneville or she might stop biting her lip and let you know which ride she prefers...don't get mad I'm just havin fun...the Thrux is a great all around bike.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
The 09 Thrux isn't nearly as forward leaning as prior years, as it has a bar instead of clipons.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am looking at the 2009 Thruxton. I was a bit hurt when the poster above said you are hunched over almost as much as a CBR. That would be a bit ruff after awhile, and get pretty old for me.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
giogolf there is a lot of pro bonnie comments here but I moved from Bonnie to Thrux - 09 - with the new bars - and frankly it is far better at handling and the ride position is more akin to riding a hybrid bicycle. Responsive, easy to maneovre etc. I am a similar height and weight so I would suggest you would be better off on a Thrux for touring as you are not large, per se, and hence the pillion will fit fine without any material discomfort. If you put a Rentec rack on the back, as I have, you can carry luggage and not have any interference. Worth trying a new Thrux out to see how it goes - I would not go back to a bonnie - the footpegs are not to my liking and give me hip ache:D not to mention gear change is more ponderous. Which is why I put rearsets on the bonnie before admitting defeat and trading for a Thrux.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a 2007 Thruxton and have done 300 mile days. Its fine that distance solo. Me and the girl go a few times a month two up sometimes up to 100 miles round trip. No problems. She is 5'3 120 lbs and knows how to be a good passanger. You dont lean on your wrists. Dig your knees into the tank and use your core to hold up. Leave your wrists limp and you will flick around like crazy. One thing about two up, its much, much easier when going on highways than it is in traffic. Some of the sudden stops can be a bit uncomfortable.

I just purchased a Scrambler also and to be honest they both work the same for two up. Its how you position your body ergo's on the thruxton. Really with any of the modern classics you cant lose.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts