Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Inevitable I suppose I started dabbling with the suspension and would appreciate some advice from members that have gone before me. I have ordered lowering pegs of the UK for my Bonny after many rides and internal deliberation and reading many reviews on here and no doubt they will help with my long aging legs and also allow a bit more forward hip rotation dialing in the reach to the stock handlebars.

It has often been written that the suspension is perhaps the weak link on the Bonny. Although I feel Triumph did a good job for basic factory shocks, no doubt better offerings will improve the bike.

If considering replacement shocks in back...my thought aside from a bit more fender gap in back...is why not go Thruxton length rear shocks which will improve turn in of the bike in the process and restore 25mm of lean angle to the bike lost by lowering the pegs by 50mm. I believe I will have no issue with a new lower peg position of 25mm but would likely drag the pegs if I stayed with a 50mm peg drop with the stock suspension.

So my question is...when raising the back of a T-100 with Thruxton shocks...should there be a companion adjustment to the triple tree height in front relative to the forks? I would appreciate the advice from those with a Bonny that have experience with Thruxton shocks in the rear.

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
471 Posts
The length difference of the two is pretty significant. The length of the bike helps somewhat, but I suspect the bike will turn in well, but I also suspect you might lose some stability at highway speeds.

Jim :cool:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thruxton length rear shocks on T-100

I went and put the Thruxton length Ikon shocks on my '07 T-100 and so far have made no adjustments to the front suspension. The ride height is definitely noticeable, ride quality most definitely improved, and minimal change (at least to me) with the way the bike handles. I don't notice the look of the new height much, maybe cause I have saddlebags on the bike. I have found that you need to use a half inch piece of plywood under the center stand to get the rear wheel to turn for lubing the chain since it seems the swing arm is now fully extended with the longer shock. Overall, I'm glad I bought the Thruxton length Ikons.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Go for it...simply replacing those dreadful stock shocks will improve handling greatly. The quicker turn in will simply become part of the change & frankly will be lost in the vast suspension improvement out back...

No worries about being too radical of steering geometry with the change...these bikes are set up real conservative and can tolerate moving the front or rear up/down an inch. I ran my thruxton with the front end dropped to put the clipons over the trees and it tracked way more stable like that than my ducati monster ever did in its stock configuration.

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have been kicking this issue around myself. I was wondering: While Thruxton length shocks are taller, is there any more travel, or do they simply have longer pieces with the same amount of travel?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I don't think there is any more travel, not anything you could notice anyway.
I'm no expert, and certainly can't say as a fact, but the Thruxton shocks are the same length as the Scrambler shocks, and knowing Triumph's penchant for not reinventing the wheel, so to speak, I would bet there is more travel like the Scrambler.

Of course this could be faulty logic! :eek:

Jim :brow

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody. Doesn't sound like any downside for long legged riders in partcular. My guess is the longer shocks do have a longer throw which not only gives the opportunity for greater spring compression i.e. travel but less damping to control the mass of the bike. Only a guess why most report an improved ride with Thruxton shocks.
Best,
George

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put the longer length Thruston Hagons on my T100 , Much quicker steering, It put more weight on the Frt end and I decided to put better fork spring on it. I put a set of Ikons in the tubes with fresh oil and am really pleased at the changes it made. One note your bike will lean more on the side stand due to the shock change .
Regards

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
the Thruxton shocks are the same length as the Scrambler shocks, and knowing Triumph's penchant for not reinventing the wheel, so to speak, I would bet there is more travel like the Scrambler.

Of course this could be faulty logic! :eek:

Jim :brow
I believe you are right. When I replaced the rear shocks on my bonnie with IKON scrambler shocks they were also the replacement part for the Thruxton rear shock.

They made a huge difference! And while the steering is a bit quicker I don't notice any loss in straight line stability.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have thrux length shocks on my bonnie, as do many others, and they do quicken up the steering a bit but do not make the bike unstable.
Ditto, I put a set of KYB's on which are basically thruxton length, maybe a hair longer. I definitely noticed the change in height just standing over the bike and the steering felt much better. Ive had the bike pegged on the rev limiter in 5th for longer than I'd like to admit to with no strangeness or wobbles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts