Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start with saying that I just picked up my Thruxton R today and after about 100 miles or so, man is it an amazing machine and Im glad to be back on a Triumph.

That being said Im curious what the rest of you did with the warranty over the 2 year unlimited miles that comes with it.

I was told it is $1600 dollars for five years, there is also a 4 year and I think a 3 year but I forget the prices.

This is an all around brand new machine, ABS T/C, new engine, new everything, a lot of things to go wrong.

I stuck with the factory warranty for now but they said I can have a week to think about changing it, so what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I stuck with the factory warranty for now but they said I can have a week to think about changing it, so what are your thoughts on this?
Thanks
Seems like everybody has a different opinion on this, so it's really up to the user, but for me... I opted for the additional 2 years - making the bike fully warranted for 4 years.

My reasons:

1. I like working on stuff, motorcycles mostly. I have two interesting bike projects, but this bike hopefully never becomes one.

2. I like the idea of a longer term, but knowing myself, within 4 years, something more shiny will come along and off I'll go. Four years seemed right to me.

3. Like you said - it's new territory for Triumph. I'd hate for something they didn't think of or know about to go kablooey at 2.2 years.

4. I've heard very, very good things about the way Triumph honors their warranties.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I paid $1200 to get 3 extra years do 5 total. My thinking was the same about it being a new and untested machine. If anything goes wrong, it could easily exceed $1200.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The phrasing of your question indicates that like most people you are concerned about value for your money. Its par for the course these days to offer extended warranties on all things from refrigerators to toasters to motorbikes. The information our consumer affairs shows tell us here in Australia is that they usually end up giving you not much more than what consumer law mandates by default. So check carefully your consumer law in this area first. You may be surprised. I'd bank the money and perhaps get a service manual..just to be aware of what the bike needs no save money on small repairs that I can do.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts