Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm just wanting to spark a bit of a discussion as I'm considering trading my Ducati Monster in for either a new Thruxton R or Thruxton RS very soon (likely when we get a bit of normalcy back). That said, with the RS newly released as of February/March I've been seeing a price dip on 2019 R's - in my area they're as low as 12k (USD) now. Curious to hear from the masses whether the price jump to $17k (my area) is worth it in the RS considering it adds under 10 more HP, 500 more to the RPM range, bigger front brakes, and blacked out casing/rear shocks, are those upgrades worth it? Considering you can put an x-pipe on the R and still gain some power. Or is now a better time to jump on the R? And if so, what type are pricing are you seeing on the R in your areas?

Just some insights into my perspective. I've wanted the Thruxton R since 2016 but as it would officially be my first owned bike I went with an old Ducati to tied me over until prices dropped. Now I'm ready to sell/trade my Ducati and get my 'dream' bike and it's going to be a Thruxton R or RS. The pros I like about the RS are the gloss black paint option and the blacked-out rear shocks/casings but I can do that with an R easily with the potential 5-6k I could save. But part of me wants the newest and greatest as either way it will be a large chunk of money.

All opinions and thoughts welcome!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi All,

I'm just wanting to spark a bit of a discussion as I'm considering trading my Ducati Monster in for either a new Thruxton R or Thruxton RS very soon (likely when we get a bit of normalcy back). That said, with the RS newly released as of February/March I've been seeing a price dip on 2019 R's - in my area they're as low as 12k (USD) now. Curious to hear from the masses whether the price jump to $17k (my area) is worth it in the RS considering it adds under 10 more HP, 500 more to the RPM range, bigger front brakes, and blacked out casing/rear shocks, are those upgrades worth it? Considering you can put an x-pipe on the R and still gain some power. Or is now a better time to jump on the R? And if so, what type are pricing are you seeing on the R in your areas?

Just some insights into my perspective. I've wanted the Thruxton R since 2016 but as it would officially be my first owned bike I went with an old Ducati to tied me over until prices dropped. Now I'm ready to sell/trade my Ducati and get my 'dream' bike and it's going to be a Thruxton R or RS. The pros I like about the RS are the gloss black paint option and the blacked-out rear shocks/casings but I can do that with an R easily with the potential 5-6k I could save. But part of me wants the newest and greatest as either way it will be a large chunk of money.

All opinions and thoughts welcome!

Cheers!
I'll start by saying I have a 2016 Thruxton R. You can bump a Thruxton R up about 10 horsepower at the rear wheel and lighten it about 12 pounds and raise the redline up 500 rpm AND get better fueling with 100% opening of the throttle bodies for about $1500. That should bring you to as good or better than a stock RS.

I've done this with my Thruxton R. Meerkat x pipe and mufflers saved me over 12 pounds over the stock pipes and catalytic converter. Additionally helped with the heat and my opinion the sound in combination of removing the snorkel.

DNK tuning with a new ECU map will smooth out the fueling better than the RS and let your throttle bodies stay open instead of closing to 80% around 6700 rpm. The tune will move your rev limiter up 500 rpm and when used with the Tec 303 cam gets you to as good as a stock RS for rear wheel horsepower. *

The new RS has slightly better brakes up front but I'm not sure you can still turn off the ABS.

* I was supposed to put my bike the dyno back in March to confirm the horsepower numbers but the virus canceled that trip. However, after riding mine I am confident that the ten horsepower and the torque numbers will be close to or equal a stock RS.

I have to add the difference between the stock bikes in terms of performance is marginal to start with and a better rider would make the difference in a sprint contest like a quarter mile. The stock RS would have the advantage over a stock Thruxton R in a roll on but unless you change the sprockets the top speed would be about the same

If I was buying today and both were equal as far as styling to me I would pick the Thruxton R use the extra coin for mods and take the rest and go racing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight + feedback. That's more or less what I was thinking - i.e. for roughly $2-3k you can make the R as good if not better than the RS and still be saving bank. I'm not curious if there are any people who are Pro RS and what their reasoning would be to just go with that other than not having to hassle with customization's (that's part of the fun with motorcycles for me).

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Anyone can crunch the numbers and I agree with all of the above. However, the real decision has to be yours. As good as you can make an R it will never be an RS. If that’s not going to bother you, go with the R. Otherwise, you know what you have to do.

·
Registered
103 Posts
if you are not financially constrained and want latest and greatest get RS.

If you can get R for $3000 or more cheaper - go with R. This amount is my personal estimate of worth of the changes between the two. The number may be different for you.

I have R and frankly I do not think I really need extra 10HP. Like you, I like the black look. But I suspect with some creativity you can customize your R to look close to RS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Personally, the only two items I envy on the RS over my R that I’m still thrilled with, is the supposedly non-mushy front brake feel (not the end of the world to me though), and the same exact seat the RS comes with, but with Black non-contrasting stitching instead of the R that has the surprisingly very stand-out’ish Red contrasting stitching... However, I am no longer concerned about the above mentioned seat... Because I was able to purchase a new RS seat with the Black stitching for my R just this afternoon. It was half the price I thought it was going to be. And my Thrux is a big part of things I like to do, so I just went ahead with it... Once it arrives, I will post images in the proper thread on this forum for people to make fun of me for buying. (And rightfully so.) Ha!
#BrandWhore

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Personally, the only two items I envy on the RS over my R that I’m still thrilled with, is the supposedly non-mushy front brake feel (not the end of the world to me though), and the same exact seat the RS comes with, but with Black non-contrasting stitching instead of the R that has the surprisingly very stand-out’ish Red contrasting stitching... However, I am no longer concerned about the above mentioned seat... Because I was able to purchase a new RS seat with the Black stitching for my R just this afternoon. It was half the price I thought it was going to be. And my Thrux is a big part of things I like to do, so I just went ahead with it... Once it arrives, I will post images in the proper thread on this forum for people to make fun of me for buying. (And rightfully so.) Ha!
#BrandWhore
I read a lot of complaints on mushy and squeaky front brakes this hasn't ever effected Thruxton R. I think the only common complaint mine has suffered is my wiring out of the headlight to ignition broke one of the wires.

After a few mods I don't see any reason including performance to switch to the RS. If they took the Thruxton R or RS motor and made a comfortable sport touring bike then maybe.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I read a lot of complaints on mushy and squeaky front brakes this hasn't ever effected Thruxton R. I think the only common complaint mine has suffered is my wiring out of the headlight to ignition broke one of the wires.

After a few mods I don't see any reason including performance to switch to the RS. If they took the Thruxton R or RS motor and made a comfortable sport touring bike then maybe.
My TTR brakes have been squeaking ever since I bought it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
My TTR brakes have been squeaking ever since I bought it.
There has got to some simple explanations why some squeak and some don't. Is it both brakes are only the front?

I wonder if where and how we ride contributes? Most of my rides are rural rides with little braking and seldom hard braking. I can't remember riding the bike in real rain. I do clean my rotors every several months.

Regardless of how or where you ride they shouldn't squeak and maybe mine would if ridden under different conditions.

Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think some shite got on either the brake pads of rotors at the factory. Not a big deal, just need to clean it up! Annoying.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
There’s a recall on font Brembo brake pads in Street Triple RS, Speed Triple S/RS models and Tiger 1200s. Reason: squealing. So far Thruxton R and Tiger 900 not included but maybe just a matter of time.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Just some insights into my perspective. I've wanted the Thruxton R since 2016 but as it would officially be my first owned bike I went with an old Ducati to tied me over until prices dropped. Now I'm ready to sell/trade my Ducati and get my 'dream' bike and it's going to be a Thruxton R or RS.
What Ducati Monster?

Triumphs are less maintenance and solid but no Ducati. Agree, Thruxton R is cute. Good bike but no Ducati. Son likes his. Prefers the Paul Smart replica with NCR everything which he was forced to sell prior to a move.

Suggest you ride one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts