Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Thriumph original accessories aside don't you find odd that the new Bonneville and Street Twin have a much wider (and tasteful) selection of third party seats, full mod kits, tails/rear fender, and other type of accessories than the Thruxton R?
After all they came out all at the same time right?
Or maybe it's just me.. 馃槉

Registered
I am pretty sure Triumph made these bikes with parts that are very specific and therefore very difficult to put alternative non branded things on. SO many little ins and outs and special fitments on every nook and cranny with these bikes. However, it has not even been a year yet, and as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Registered
I am pretty sure Triumph made these bikes with parts that are very specific and therefore very difficult to put alternative non branded things on. SO many little ins and outs and special fitments on every nook and cranny with these bikes. However, it has not even been a year yet, and as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Fully agree.
What I find surprising is that very few of us have actually undertaken the most obvious mod/customization: a full paint job.
It was one of the first steps I took after delivery.

Registered
Fully agree.
What I find surprising is that very few of us have actually undertaken the most obvious mod/customization: a full paint job.
I wont lie. I have been considering a paint job since I was going to take the tank off for the fuel pump recall. I love the silver, but there are plenty of them around and wouldn't mind a dark black cherry or something similar. Maybe because I can't find anything worthy of spending my money on either and I have a itchy trigger

Registered
Fully agree.
Had not seen your thread with the bike until now. Talk about making it yours!!

I wont lie. I have been considering a paint job since I was going to take the tank off for the fuel pump recall. I love the silver, but there are plenty of them around and wouldn't mind a dark black cherry or something similar. Maybe because I can't find anything worthy of spending my money on either and I have a itchy trigger
Black cherry on this bike (with the full fairing) would look amazing!!! Go for it!

Registered
Had not seen your thread with the bike until now. Talk about making it yours!!

Black cherry on this bike (with the full fairing) would look amazing!!! Go for it!

I painted my CB450 with an old GM auto paint Black Cherry Metallic and loved it ever since. I have a hard time convincing myself to spend money on things that don't make my bike go faster. haha. Lots of winter left to talk myself into it.

Registered
Dark cherry would be nice! Something like https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/4a/2f/02/4a2f0253a7b02201a5cfbfbe59d221f3.jpg although Wachuko's red wagon does look better (darker red)

Registered
Dark cherry would be nice! Something like https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/4a/2f/02/4a2f0253a7b02201a5cfbfbe59d221f3.jpg although Wachuko's red wagon does look better (darker red)

Would be great if folks start to get creative with their newer Thruxtons... such a great canvas.

There was one of the new Thruxtons that got painted matte blue (Thruxton by Walz)

But so many things that can be done...

This one is cherry red, not black cherry, but you get the point...

I will do a few simple mods to mine, but, as tempted as I might be looking at those painted bikes, not planning on changing the color on mine.

Registered
Would be great if folks start to get creative with their newer Thruxtons... such a great canvas.
There was one of the new Thruxtons that got painted matte blue (Thruxton by Walz)
But so many things that can be done...
This one is cherry red, not black cherry, but you get the point...
I will do a few simple mods to mine, but, as tempted as I might be looking at those painted bikes, not planning on changing the color on mine.
That last one is simply beautiful.

Registered
Agreed, that black cherry is beautiful. I think this bike begs for jaguar racing green as well.
The issue is with the number of colors. Bikes look best when they have either 2-tone or 3-tone paint jobs.

The Thruxton R has a number of grey parts (chrome/metal), black parts (frame, tires, engine...), and then adds gold shocks (front & rear). So adding a fourth color becomes complicated.

Many of us went for either black or gray paint jobs - you can't go wrong. I went for grey blue and many gold finishes. If British green is what you seek, I would take my insipration from the non R Thruxton 1200 : black fork and shocks.

What I don't get however is how good the R looks in red despite the 4 colors...

Registered
T(h)riumph original accessories aside don't you find odd that the new Bonneville and Street Twin have a much wider (and tasteful) selection of third party seats, full mod kits, tails/rear fender, and other type of accessories than the Thruxton R?
I might have some insights on this. Because of all the differences, technically speaking, from the previous generation, aftermarket (3 party) suppliers are now facing having to purchase themselves, or hopefully finding a patience donor to lead them their new bike for an extended period, so that they can develop parts.

If you're going to make that kind of capital investment, logic would suggest getting the base model 900cc bike and the base model 1200cc. I know Norman Hyde has a Street Twin and possibly a T120 too. Stuff like USD forks and other "R" model details will sort themselves out over time.

I want a T120 or base Thruxton in the worse way, but financially, I need to thin my herd a wee bit before making such a capital investment. :rolleyes: Spring cannot come soon enough.

/M

Registered
What are the slash-cut SCs on the mat blue one? I like'em : -)

I also link that linked Norton - That's MY RED !! I grew up building models of Ed Roth's creations and got pretty good at a rattle-can candy red and love it still. For me, maybe a bit of white insert in the knee area of the tank with some Triumph-like striping - But, like someone mentioned above... the top of the Bonneville line came out pretty much exactly the way I wanted a bike to be... That's why I bought it! The Street Triple was a better bike in all categories, but there's nothing that's ever rolled off a factory floor looking as good as the Triumph Thruxton R.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts