Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,
It would seem that Triumph has taken an uprecedented position regarding the actual certification of the Thruxton R.

We all know that standard delivery comes with a solo seat - no rear footpegs. However, I was surprised (not to say pissed off) when my dealer contacted me informing that Triumph demands that customers buy the "duo kit" (i.e. duo seat + pegs) if they wish for duo certification!

What this means (at the very least for French customers):
Any bike ordered without the kit will only be certified as a solo bike.

This is fu$&@ up.

PS I went ahead and bout the kit...

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Wow... That situation stinks.

I guess it depends on where you are located (country), and what your intentions are when riding this particular bike.

In the United States I've never had to, or ever even been asked if my motorcycle is meant for, or going to be used for, one or two people riding at once. (I guess they think there is less liability possibilities if the bike can only carry one person. So for an accident, it might be less expensive if only one rider was injured... I'm surprised they don't do that here in the US.)

Also, I would have to figure, that since this bike is being sold as a 'cafe racer' style bike, that 3/4 of the buyer's market (not all, I know) will primarily ride/buy it with those cafe/solo-racer types of riding style in mind... Also, it looks for stunning/aggressive in its solo rider form. (To attract buyers.)

But if I was in your position, I could easily understand your frustration... I guess there are two sides of the fence with that then. And most would have to agree that, while inconvenient to some -for sure... For MOST, it is convenient.

This will be my first of the the three Triumphs I have owned that if finally won't have to buy a $240 rear seat-cowl, and $60 rear foot-peg delete cover/finishers.

So I guess most, not all obviously, will greatly prefer it the way it comes.
(Sorry for the novel... But I had to type more to show that it's good to want to ride 2-up... But with this bike, probably less common, for the majority.)
Cheers.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The issue in France is regarding insurance.
If you get involved in an accident on a bike which is not for two... Then your insurance company will just claim that they do have to pay...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I get your point and it makes sense. However, solo certification means that the rider will never be allowed to take on a passenger: not the girl for a drink nor the buddy who had one too many.

Alexis is quite right, insurance here will forbid any exceptions. Oh and in Europe, u can forget about ever changing the bikes certification (should u change your mind or loose it because you decided to sell your Thruxton R).

What I'm saying is that Triumph has been cheap with us regarding certification. Considering the retail price of the bike, thowing-in a pair of pegs and a dual seat on the side would of been only fair to us.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Wow... Then I have to agree with you... Having the hassle of actually having (trying) to go through legal paperwork for something like that must stink.
I'm surprised more people haven't found this to be an issue, in Europe then... I'm glad it's not like that over here (yet).

I can only guess that the only reason customers in Europe haven't made for of a stink about this, is because so many people are buying it with just the intentions of riding the bike solo, and are ok with that.

... It seems that it would only make sense for people that live in Europe, and have to specify if it might be used as a passenger bike sometimes, should receive a manufacturer's rebate, to get the 'duo-kit' for manufacture cost, or just slightly above.

(Maybe pay MSRP for the 'Kit'... And once you have the legal documents fully processed with classification, then simply fax/mail a copy of the documents along with a rebate form, and eventually get a check back from the manufacturer for the difference.)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow... Then I have to agree with you... Having the hassle of actually having (trying) to go through legal paperwork for something like that must stink.
I'm surprised more people haven't found this to be an issue, in Europe then... I'm glad it's not like that over here (yet).

I can only guess that the only reason customers in Europe haven't made for of a stink about this, is because so many people are buying it with just the intentions of riding the bike solo, and are ok with that.
Thanks for your solidarity :wink2:

I think the actual reason here is that only few bikes have been available for initial deposits. In the meantime, dealerships have only just begun contacting customers requesting them to choose. Here's the exact phrase I got (preceded and followed by a polite formula): "Triumph gives you 2 options, either you order the duo kit today or your bike will forever be solo certified".

My dealer felt really awful about it and I for him.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^ I added an option/idea to my previous post... But I type too slow. And I think you quoted me before I could finish typing the rest. (Ha!)

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Here in Oz it is like a roadworthy certificate and a compliance sticker. It used to be $120 and the appropriate modifications. My wife's bike is single seat compliance (she doesn't want to take a pillion) - change the seat out and remove the pegs. Saves on registration and insurance. Not so hard.

I am surprised that it is an option on the Thruxton though and not standard.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi Steven what's the cost of the single seat rego for you're wife's bike?

I'm in Victoria I've read you save $150 on your rego generally.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Hi Steven what's the cost of the single seat rego for you're wife's bike?

I'm in Victoria I've read you save $150 on your rego generally.
That plus insurance. It is easy to do even if you have a cowl fitted (a la Thruxton). Lose the pegs and get a safety certificate for the modification and i have heard you no longer need the frame plate.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks for your solidarity :wink2:

I think the actual reason here is that only few bikes have been available for initial deposits. In the meantime, dealerships have only just begun contacting customers requesting them to choose. Here's the exact phrase I got (preceded and followed by a polite formula): "Triumph gives you 2 options, either you order the duo kit today or your bike will forever be solo certified".

My dealer felt really awful about it and I for him.
My dealer never contacted me regarding this issue. I hope he will otherwise I will be very disappointed

·
Registered
230 Posts
Reading up on it, single seat rego isn't available in Victoria, the cost only varies by the capacity of the bike, trux r is in the top catergory so I'll be paying full price $646...

·
Registered
15 Posts
In Spain they haven't give us any choice, two seater configuration for both Thruxton and R, my dealer is not sure yet if the R owners will get the two seats or at least the seat cowl.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
In Germany you can change the papers. All our vehicles need to go to the "TÜV" (Technischer Überwachungsverein) every two years. I had a problem with my Street Triple R last year because I had mounted the rear-pegs off. Result: No new TÜV or I had to change my papers and declare the bike as a single-seater. Result, I had to drive home, put the rear-pegs and that one missing reflector on the bike and I got my new TÜV for the next two years.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In Spain they haven't give us any choice, two seater configuration for both Thruxton and R, my dealer is not sure yet if the R owners will get the two seats or at least the seat cowl.
Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the seat cowl will adapt to the dual seat right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
In Germany you can change the papers. All our vehicles need to go to the "TÜV" (Technischer Überwachungsverein) every two years. I had a problem with my Street Triple R last year because I had mounted the rear-pegs off. Result: No new TÜV or I had to change my papers and declare the bike as a single-seater. Result, I had to drive home, put the rear-pegs and that one missing reflector on the bike and I got my new TÜV for the next two years.

Here works the same way.If you take off the pegs they will make you state in papers as a single seater and if you want to go back to dual seater you will have to pay

·
Registered
15 Posts
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the seat cowl will adapt to the dual seat right?

I'm not sure. The configurator on the Thruxton seems that it does not fit, so I hope we get at least some short of discount on ordering the solo with the cowl(better if we get it for free).

As soon as I have news I will tell you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts