Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do love my Thruxton R. It is an absolute joy to ride, it does everything just right for my riding needs. As far as reliability goes, it had been great but just last week it didn't start for the first time since I've had it. At first I thought it was a dead battery as the bike had sat in the garage for 6 weeks while I was overseas. When I turned my key I had no gauge dance, just blacked out instruments. No fuel pump priming, nothing but my DRL was on. So I wheeled it back into the garage hooked it up to the battery charger/tender and took my old faithful 2001 Bonnie to work.
When I got home I tried the Thruxton again and when I turned the key the gauges lit up, did there little dance and the bike started up on first hit of the starter. So I took it for a ride and everything was perfect. I put it away ready to take to work the next morning. In the morning I turned the key and the bike did its start up routine and started first press of the starter and then.....
The Engine dies and all instruments go black. Then without me doing anything it goes through the start up routine again. Okay this is weird I think as I hit the starter again. Bike starts again and promptly dies again then does the start up routine then goes black, start up routine then black. So now I'm pretty annoyed and wondering what the hell is going on and if it is still under warranty and decide to take my old faithful '01 to work again. But before I do I try to start it one more time and it starts right up and remains running.
I decide to take my chances and ride it to work as my workplace is near the dealer and I can leave it with them on my way home. I had no problems making the short ride to work(10km) but as I turned into the car park it died again.
I called the dealer to let them know what was happening and arrange to drop it off on my way home. The dealership is about 1km from my work place.
I had no problem getting there and when I arrived at the dealer the head mechanic greeted me and the first thing he checked was the ignition wiring. As he jiggled the wiring the bike shut down and exhibited all the symptoms I've described. Apparently it has happened to several others and is a known issue.
So any way to make a long story even longer they are ordering a new ignition for me which I believe will only fix the fault but not fix what caused it. The wiring is too tight with not enough room to move without stressing the terminations on normal steering movement. I have read of T120 owners having this issue but have not heard of it on the R's. I have the fairing kit on mine, installed by the dealer, so maybe that adds to the restriction of movement. Definitely something to keep your eyes on.
Now I am waiting for a part to arrive( how long???) which will presumably be prone to the same failure(how long???).
I am annoyed and have lost a little faith in the reliability of my bike.
I don't think this is a problem unique to Triumph or motorcycles in general but more a problem with modern engineering and design. The tolerances and specifications of all modern technology are so tight and cost efficient that there is no room error and small things cause big problems.
Anyway I've prattled on enough and will finish by saying that I still love my Thruxton R and look forward to having it back although slightly annoyed. Nothing is perfect but the R for me is close. Maybe a little less reliable, but close. (So is the '01 but for different reasons, and it is very reliable).

Tom.
LOL had the same issue with my 1976 T140 v. Wiring loom round head stock was too short and the copper wiring had broken inside causing intermittent running. OK if you know what you are looking for... I did not!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a 17 street cup and have never had any problems - except once when I turned the key on and nothing happened. switched the key on and off a time or two and then everything was as normal so have to conclude that it was just a connection not making in the switch. I don't anticipate it as a problem but -

The wiring is very tight on the forks. I relocated the rectifier which eliminated much of the movement in the harness when turning the forks, but you wouldn't have that problem with a thruxton as the rectifier is already frame mounted. However, I recently tried to relocate the instruments (slightly) and found very little slack in the connections. My next mod is probably relocating the switch to a stationary location, as I want to go to a clean (clip ons) top triple clamp anyway, and who needs to look at that key fob whipping around in the breeze.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I do love my Thruxton R. It is an absolute joy to ride, it does everything just right for my riding needs. As far as reliability goes, it had been great but just last week it didn't start for the first time since I've had it. At first I thought it was a dead battery as the bike had sat in the garage for 6 weeks while I was overseas. When I turned my key I had no gauge dance, just blacked out instruments. No fuel pump priming, nothing but my DRL was on. So I wheeled it back into the garage hooked it up to the battery charger/tender and took my old faithful 2001 Bonnie to work.
When I got home I tried the Thruxton again and when I turned the key the gauges lit up, did there little dance and the bike started up on first hit of the starter. So I took it for a ride and everything was perfect. I put it away ready to take to work the next morning. In the morning I turned the key and the bike did its start up routine and started first press of the starter and then.....
The Engine dies and all instruments go black. Then without me doing anything it goes through the start up routine again. Okay this is weird I think as I hit the starter again. Bike starts again and promptly dies again then does the start up routine then goes black, start up routine then black. So now I'm pretty annoyed and wondering what the hell is going on and if it is still under warranty and decide to take my old faithful '01 to work again. But before I do I try to start it one more time and it starts right up and remains running.
I decide to take my chances and ride it to work as my workplace is near the dealer and I can leave it with them on my way home. I had no problems making the short ride to work(10km) but as I turned into the car park it died again.
I called the dealer to let them know what was happening and arrange to drop it off on my way home. The dealership is about 1km from my work place.
I had no problem getting there and when I arrived at the dealer the head mechanic greeted me and the first thing he checked was the ignition wiring. As he jiggled the wiring the bike shut down and exhibited all the symptoms I've described. Apparently it has happened to several others and is a known issue.
So any way to make a long story even longer they are ordering a new ignition for me which I believe will only fix the fault but not fix what caused it. The wiring is too tight with not enough room to move without stressing the terminations on normal steering movement. I have read of T120 owners having this issue but have not heard of it on the R's. I have the fairing kit on mine, installed by the dealer, so maybe that adds to the restriction of movement. Definitely something to keep your eyes on.
Now I am waiting for a part to arrive( how long???) which will presumably be prone to the same failure(how long???).
I am annoyed and have lost a little faith in the reliability of my bike.
I don't think this is a problem unique to Triumph or motorcycles in general but more a problem with modern engineering and design. The tolerances and specifications of all modern technology are so tight and cost efficient that there is no room error and small things cause big problems.
Anyway I've prattled on enough and will finish by saying that I still love my Thruxton R and look forward to having it back although slightly annoyed. Nothing is perfect but the R for me is close. Maybe a little less reliable, but close. (So is the '01 but for different reasons, and it is very reliable).

Tom.
My Thruxton R with fairing quit and instruments shut down when making several left turns. The white wire going into the ignition broke going into the ignition switch. I believe this occurs more often on Thruxtons with the Triumph fairings because it is stretched a little further from the headlight to ignition switch. I also believe when the fairing is installed this could be prevented by freeing where it plugs in the headlight from clip inside the headlight.

If you keep riding the bike without fixing it, the bike will leave you on the side of the road. Triumph make fix this since I believe it was part of a recall for the little plastic pieces running to the headlight.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts