Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed the brake lever on their TR is painted silver & the clutch lever is polished aluminium ?

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,320 Posts
I went out in the garage by 5 am and pulled of my levers just for u my friend...lol
My 2016 TTR levers the same raw metal, not plated or painted, hope this helps...FTG
Hand Musical instrument Gesture Finger Bicycle part

Hood Grille Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper
Sunglasses Bag Eyewear Font Bicycle part
Wood Audio equipment Auto part Metal Font

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I wasnt really looking for help Fly, I was simply pointing out the differences..but you are certainly keen removing your levers & taking pics at 5.00 am in the morning lol..The levers are certainly different on my bike (pics below) and it does look like there are chips in your brake lever in the 1st pic you posted & the levers also look slightly different in the last pic you posted...Previous to my post here i did a bit of googling out of curiosity and found a few pics of levers on TRs which have exactly the same look as mine, which is no problem, just odd ? Check the pics below..it is subtle..but the brake lever is definitely different...

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Heres mine -- hard to get a good shot on the bike under fluro but squint & you will see...It is more obvious in different light -- BEHOLD !
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle brake Hood Automotive exhaust
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The difference is neither paint nor polishing. The different finishes are due to the fact one is diecast (the clutch lever) and the other (the brake lever) is forged with something akin to vegetable oil being used as a release agent.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The brake lever is definitely painted with a clear coat & possibly paint, because I just tried, and it cannot be polished...unlike the clutch lever which can be polished...

·
Registered
43 Posts
The brake lever is definitely painted with a clear coat & possibly paint, because I just tried, and it cannot be polished...unlike the clutch lever which can be polished...
The brake lever is anodised, that's why you can't polish it.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Maybe, but it doesnt look like anodising to me...anyway, my point is simply that the levers are different, regardless of what it is ? Strange that Triumph wouldn't have the same finish with both levers...just a little more character, lol...

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,320 Posts
Do u plan on changing them out, or do u like the stock levers, I am not a fan of stock levers at all. I like shorty levers, I use 2-3 finger pull, not the whole hand. I Don’t know if it’s just me but out of all the components that hasn’t really advanced much on motorcycles that bugs me are the clutch and brake hand levers on a motobike, they seem so prehistoric u can’t really can’t tell the difference. even after 30 yrs. they still are basically the same, especially older bikes it was like tying to squeeze a hand exerciser Especially If u have small hands good luck…lol thnx to some modern tech they make it easier to pull back the levers but the levers them selfs leave little to desire…FTG here a example: a lever off a gixxer almost 30 yrs ago and a lever for a 2020 gixxer. Big difference ha... Lol
White Tool Bicycle part Hand tool Metal
Photograph Product Azure Grey Font
Water Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Plant Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The levers don't bother me but the Brembo brakes coming in too far on the 1st pull do...Like you, i only use a couple of fingers to brake, in my case...the middle two....I have changed levers on a couple of my bikes but I get tired of spending loads on money for not much advantage, so I will probably stick with the stock levers on the Thruxton...Your levers do look quality though Fly...

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I spotted a new RS in a shop yesterday, and the levers are exactly the same as mine...apparently the difference is simply because the brake lever is a Brembo part & the clutch lever...well...it is not, obviously !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts