Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pre-ordered matte black Thruxton R waiting for me. When I ordered it I was under the impression that about 100 were being made. I have seen in places (cycle trader) that 500 are being made. That makes it much less exclusive. My dealer is trying to charge me a $1000 premium for the matte black. Dealers on cycletrader have the Matte Black at 14500. This includes the dealer I am negotiating with. I am about to call him on this. I Am wondering what other experiences are.

·
Registered
2012 Street Triple R 2016 Thruxton R
2,097 Posts
I have a pre-ordered matte black Thruxton R waiting for me. When I ordered it I was under the impression that about 100 were being made. I have seen in places (cycle trader) that 500 are being made. That makes it much less exclusive. My dealer is trying to charge me a $1000 premium for the matte black. Dealers on cycletrader have the Matte Black at 14500. This includes the dealer I am negotiating with. I am about to call him on this. I Am wondering what other experiences are.
It's NOT listed as a Special or Limited edition... So they shouldn't charge more than the MSRP for a PRE-ORDER... Just because of that, I would locate another North American dealer, and pay their MSRP, and and additional $500 to ship it to you... I hate greedy slimey A-holes like that. If you didn't pre-order it, before anyone knew about the limited production, then that's a different story... I have a Matte Black one, and paid MSRP, without any hassle, as I should have.

According to the cubicle zombies that pick up the phone at Triumph North America, there are only 150 Matte Black units that were shipped to North America to be sold... So maybe that 500 number you listed is a global figure. Hope that helps. Cheers.

·
Registered
488 Posts
According to the cubicle zombies that pick up the phone at Triumph North America, there are only 150 Matte Black units that were shipped to North America to be sold... So maybe that 500 number you listed is a global figure. Hope that helps. Cheers.
Do you know what the numbers are for the other colors and the non-R Thruxton?

I thought dealers were forbidden from charging over MSRP by Triumph?

·
Registered
2012 Street Triple R 2016 Thruxton R
2,097 Posts
@VaderSS ... Sorry, I don't... I just found out by accident, when I was calling them back when I was waiting for my bike to be delivered, back when I was receiving drastically conflicting dates... The Cubicle Zombie told me the figures for the Matte Black in North America, as to use them as an excuse for the confusion on their end.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
I have a pre-ordered matte black Thruxton R waiting for me.
When you left your deposit, did you sign a pro-forma order with an agreed price countersigned by the dealer? If so, that is the price. Legally the dealer cannot "bump" you after the fact.

If you have no paperwork, get your deposit back if you are unwilling to pay his price. If the bike is so hot, he shouldn't care. If you have paperwork with an agreed price, call your state attorney general's office and TNA Customer Service who will enforce your signed agreement.

Vehicles are not Samsung TV's. A dealer can ask whatever they like. No manufacturer can enforce MSRP in the USA. The FTC would be all over them. That said, I've no idea what's in the dealer agreement with TNA. I'd assume the transaction prices for every sale show up on the dealers' financials statements which TNA can see. Only transactions with a trade muddy this picture. A manufacturer can penalize or terminate a dealer based on any pattern of abuse which is not consistent with the dealer agreement.

As for the market, it IS whatever people will pay. When I managed a Porsche agency though, regardless of rarity or allocation, we never charged above MSRP = Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. That was our ethical choice. Often we still discounted a little to repeat customers to let them know they were valued. This was OUR choice though and OUR ethics. We were not bound in any way.

FWIW, we only charged over MSRP when we'd bought scarce inventory from distant dealers who weren't moving cars. Often we had to pay them a small profit. We didn't pass that on to our buyers though, only the cost of the extra transportation which we clearly showed on a supplemental window sticker alongside the Monroney label. It was the customer's choice to pay us or not. Nothing shady about it. Those cars still sold in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You guys are lucky, you can drive to another dealer probably within reasonable distance to find a better dealer. I'm in Hawaii and we have only one Triumph dealer here. They use the term MSRP very loosely. Yesterday I just finalized the purchase of my Thruxton R by pulling up my pants and standing up straight after being bent over by them. They are the only Harley dealer too so I feel for them also.

But back to matte black, that was my first choice and they told me December. Second choice was silver, that's coming in October. So I bought the red which should be in in a couple weeks. Color for me matters, but not really, I just want my Thruxton R.
They all look good!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Banned
451 Posts
Initially when I went to the dealer (April) the Matte black had a premium of £150 on top of the Silver and Red, I put a deposit on the bike with the premium added. When I picked the bike up they had removed the £150 premium from the website, I pointed this out to the dealer and he took the £150 off the price of the bike.......His boss said they could only charge what the website said.
I was also told that 10 Matte black R's had been allotted to the UK, whether that was a total production run or not I don't know.

·
Registered
488 Posts
.His boss said they could only charge what the website said.
This must be what I was thinking of. Guessing UK vs US is different. Thankfully my dealer did not charge more than MSRP, though I did get hit for setup and shipping fees.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts