Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new Thruxton R owner, just picked up a 2017 this month. I'm looking to upgrade the exhaust. I know it's a very subjective topic but I kinda like the sound of this exhaust. Thoughts?

·
1,585 Posts
That's a full racing system. Very loud.

I like it a lot, but wouldn't want to live with it every day on the street (neighbors, cops).

·
Registered
1998 T595 Daytona 2014 Kawasaki Ninja1000ABS
7,944 Posts
It might be made from Ti and a racing exhaust, but to me it sounds like one of those cheap econo tuner car exhausts. Not for me. Loudness doesn't always make for a nice sound.

·
Registered
2012 Street Triple R 2016 Thruxton R
2,085 Posts
Yeah, I saw this video too.. It’s primaraly the straight-pipes (de-cat headers) making that sound... It looks like it’s those guys from Thailand (I think) that made their own set of “straight” pipes in-house. Sort of a one-off thing... FYI... Arrow offers straight (de-cat headers) pipes that are made to fit any slip-on from any company that are made to fit the stock Thruxton 1200 & R... I bet even the Triumph Vance & Hines slip-on’s with the removable baffle would sound that good (or loud) with de-cat headers... I have the Arrow de-cat headers on my bike. Fit & finish is better than the OEM pipes, and they were pretty easy to install myself in the garage. Then obviously choose any Thruxton specific slip-on your personal taste prefers. Cheers.

·
1,585 Posts
I bet even the Triumph Vance & Hines slip-on’s with the removable baffle would sound that good (or loud) with de-cat headers...
The Daivo "mufflers" do not appear to actually be mufflers though. Can't see inside to be sure, but they sound like they're completely hollow, and lack any glass packing.

Most other street inspired slip on mufflers at least have some form of internal baffling and glass packing to provide a degree of sound deadening.

Could be wrong but these bad boys look more like a track only application. Anyone have more details?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Those guys in that video, if it’s the group I think it is, really go above & beyond when messing with their own exhaust... It very well could have been hollowed out, or re-fabricated somewhat to fit the header pipes they made. Regardless, if the O.P. is looking for that sound or similar, it can easily be achieved by getting the Arrow headers, and pretty much any Thruxton R slip-ons’s... If he is also after the actual MotoGP syle of a slip on, as the market is now, he would likely have to buy that company’s slip on or an SC-Project SC-1 slip-on (as it looks like that Daivo one copied off it, even down to the etched logo) and mess with it to fit a Thruxton. As they are primarily only sold in Sport-Bike applications.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Daivo makes and sells a ton of exhausts for the Japanese bikes. I tried contacting them weeks ago and they don't respond. I'm also trying to connect with SC Project to see if I can easily adapt their SC1 slip on or another conical slip on they have. See the one they have for the BMW R9T or Yamaha XJR 1300.

Here's the Walzwerk Thrux that gives me hope...

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Daivo makes and sells a ton of exhausts for the Japanese bikes. I tried contacting them weeks ago and they don't respond. I'm also trying to connect with SC Project to see if I can easily adapt their SC1 slip on or another conical slip on they have. See the one they have for the BMW R9T or Yamaha XJR 1300.

Ha! I was going to use that same image! Those are one-off custom SC-1’s they made for that matte purple bike. I was able to contact them when I was buying my SC-Projects... FYI, SC-Project already sells three different styles of exhaust slip-on’s for the Thruxton R... A traditional conical that look like the Triumph Vance & Hines ones. (I think the Vance & Hines look slightly nicer though.)... A “70’s conic” that have the metal mesh outlets where the traditional conic would be... And then a “70’s SHORT” version... I have the 70’s short version on my bike.... This is an older image before I installed the Arrow de-cat headers. Cheers.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ha! I was going to use that same image! Those are one-off custom SC-1’s they made for that matte purple bike. I was able to contact them when I was buying my SC-Projects... FYI, SC-Project already sells three different styles of exhaust slip-on’s for the Thruxton R... A traditional conical that look like the Triumph Vance & Hines ones. (I think the Vance & Hines look slightly nicer though.)... A “70’s conic” that have the metal mesh outlets where the traditional conic would be... And then a “70’s SHORT” version... I have the 70’s short version on my bike.... This is an older image before I installed the Arrow de-cat headers. Cheers.
Bike looks good but I'm going in a bit of a different direction - circles at the moment - so hoping I can get the SC1 in Titanium to work. My hope is that they will sell me two mufflers with a desirable hanger placement for a reasonable price and then I will get them fabbed up to the existing headers. Hopefully it doesn't look wonky or cut into my retirement savings. :grin2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I've contacted them as well and they've never responded. Unfortunately. My first ever motorcycle was a TL1000S race bike that I converted back to a street bike. That had a full TI Yoshi exhaust that I loved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts