Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,889 Posts
They have Metallic Green which would work and look good with the Triumph British Racing Green ....FTG
Bottle Product Drinkware Fluid Font

Reactions: MikeS

·
Registered
Thruxton R 2019, Rocket Roadster 2012
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
They have Metallic Green which would work and look good with the Triumph British Racing Green ....FTG View attachment 774055
I did spot that one and was thinking about buying it, but in the end went with the DID gold plated one as I know that it survives the UK winter. But you are right that would have looked nice.
Mike

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It does appear more worn than its age! By comparison to your chain, my original EK chain made 30K miles no problem. I replaced it but it still looked good to go for another 10-15K . I'm quite anal about alignment, tension + general upkeep. I use an auto oiler and also live in a mild climate.

Must be tough weather across the pond......
View attachment 773995
@ 23K miles,

View attachment 773996

View attachment 773997
My god. My chain wasn't that clean when my bike was brand new!

·
Registered
2018 Triumph T120 2020 BMW R1250R
1,039 Posts
Thanks for your compliment. I think it shows I took good care of it. I'll also say the only time it ever got wet was when I used chemical chain cleaner and hosed it off after brushing.

To be clear, I'm sure Mike has taken good care of his chain too. But his bike lives in a high moisture environment and mine is always bone dry...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah Ive had problems on the Atlantic coast with mine , lube and wax the living crap out of it but still got more rust than I'd like to see at 8000 miles. Going to get one of those Ztvx-3 nice coated black, or gold chains next time. Going to do am overkill full wax immersion before installing to see the difference from an unplated steel stock chain over time. May go with a different brand but they look great.

·
Registered
88 Posts
5 minutes with a tooth brush, a small jar of gear oil (the little bit left over from changing diff oil in my ute lasts about a year) and a rag to wipe off excess afterwards works fine and costs almost nothing. I do this on all my bikes. My dirt bike gets ridden in terrain that ranges between deep mud, sand and talcum powder like dust. I only ever have rust spots on my chains if I wash the bike and am too lazy on the day to lube the chain after drying.

·
Registered
247 Posts
^ Aha! but do they salt the roads in an Australian winter.... (if you guys ever get winter that is)? :ROFLMAO: Winter isn't really cold in most of Blighty but boy is it 'kin miserable ... Where I am it hasn't done much but pour down or drizzle for weeks on end but it does clear up on some nights so they give the roads a liberal covering of salt just to make sure it doesn't freeze, then it mixes with the next lot of rain and plays absolute havoc with any unprotected metal finishes on bikes ally, chrome (and of course bare metal) etc. 😭 I think that was my problem from the other day, there hadn't been quite enough rain (yes really!) to completely rinse off the residue from the previous night's salting... silly me for being so impatient to get out and about for a change🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
88 Posts
^ Aha! but do they salt the roads in an Australian winter.... (if you guys ever get winter that is)? :ROFLMAO: Winter isn't really cold in most of Blighty but boy is it 'kin miserable ... Where I am it hasn't done much but pour down or drizzle for weeks on end but it does clear up on some nights so they give the roads a liberal covering of salt just to make sure it doesn't freeze, then it mixes with the next lot of rain and plays absolute havoc with any unprotected metal finishes on bikes ally, chrome (and of course bare metal) etc. 😭 I think that was my problem from the other day, there hadn't been quite enough rain (yes really!) to completely rinse off the residue from the previous night's salting... silly me for being so impatient to get out and about for a change🤦‍♂️
:ROFLMAO: To be honest, they don't even know what winter here really is (I'm a South Island High Country Kiwi and I worked overseas in -40 winters for several years, so I know what cold is) , although we have weeks on end of warm rain and high humidity which is pretty hard on shiny stuff. I've tried many spray lubes and the only one that worked worth a pinch of **** was the Castrol OR chain lube - Note, it smells just like gear oil lol. The white spray (teflon?) stuff and the other waxes don't seem to cover the entire chain as well, although they might be better if using one of those applicator tool thingies. I just can't see the point in paying good coin for something that, on a good day, almost does as good a job as the cheap stuff I have laying around (and has been recommended in the manual of most of the bikes I have owned over the years).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
.... but I think you will find that from the day of the last salt going down - let's say early April - it takes weeks of normal British rain before the salt is not being thrown up on to our bikes - especially if you ride in the hills. So you are probably looking at the end of May before it's clear. I haven't got enough riding time left in my life to only ride between June and October, and some of the greatest rides I have had have been through Glencoe or Skye in March when there are no tourists. Nor have I the inclination to spend a lot of time cleaning the bike after every ride. So spending £100 on a chain that will withstand a UK winter is a no-brainer for me .... and should have been for Triumph.
Mike

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
5 minutes with a tooth brush, a small jar of gear oil (the little bit left over from changing diff oil in my ute lasts about a year) and a rag to wipe off excess afterwards works fine and costs almost nothing. I do this on all my bikes. My dirt bike gets ridden in terrain that ranges between deep mud, sand and talcum powder like dust. I only ever have rust spots on my chains if I wash the bike and am too lazy on the day to lube the chain after drying.
Yes ,I allways do the same, have done for 50years, its the best way.

Plasma1

·
Registered
932 Posts
My oem Ninja 650 chain was dead way too fast in sunny central California with zero rain riding, and regular lube. Never seen a chain die that fast. It happens. I assume sometimes manufs get batches of subpar chains that they pay as little as possible for. Just like the tires that don't have as much tread as actual new tires.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Yeah I thought Ariel. But then thought it's only really naff because everything else about the Ariel was naff-looking, and couldn't a modern design team come up with a chain enclosure that really looked the business, made out of modern materials? It would have to be made to extremely fine tolerances because the tyre to chain distance on the Thruxton looks only about 10mm
Mike
Edit: It looks like BMW made a pretty nice looking chain enclosure:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Yeah I thought Ariel. But then thought it's only really naff because everything else about the Ariel was naff-looking, and couldn't a modern design team come up with a chain enclosure that really looked the business, made out of modern materials? It would have to be made to extremely fine tolerances because the tyre to chain distance on the Thruxton looks only about 10mm
Mike
Edit: It looks like BMW made a pretty nice looking chain enclosure:
View attachment 774213
The MZ one was very good.

Plasma1

·
Registered
247 Posts
😭 I love the looks of the Ariel Arrow, not quite so much the Leader. I think they seem a bit dated now but there's still something I find really endearing about them. Those bikes weren't just about looking "modern"... enclosed chain, shrouded suspension plus front & back deep valanced fenders were more than a nod to practicality from the days when the majority of bikes were bought for utility. Then there's the best two wheeler ever, the Honda Cub, enclosed chain too... and scooters! I love 'em all!!!! but I'm soooooo far OT now :eek:

^ yep MZ too, with the rubber corrugated bellows on the chain enclosure if I remember correctly (y)

·
Registered
88 Posts
😭 I love the looks of the Ariel Arrow, not quite so much the Leader. I think they seem a bit dated now but there's still something I find really endearing about them. Those bikes weren't just about looking "modern"... enclosed chain, shrouded suspension plus front & back deep valanced fenders were more than a nod to practicality from the days when the majority of bikes were bought for utility. Then there's the best two wheeler ever, the Honda Cub, enclosed chain too... and scooters! I love 'em all!!!! but I'm soooooo far OT now :eek:

^ yep MZ too, with the rubber corrugated bellows on the chain enclosure if I remember correctly (y)
Don't forget Yamaha's fantastically fit for purpose range of AG bikes that have/had an enclosed chaincase with rubber bellows.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
You'd think that Triumph being a British company would fit a chain that would suit the UK's weather. The EK chain fitted to my bike has deteriorated in just two winter rides (227 miles and 180 miles). Each time it was blown dry after the bike had been rinsed. The chain has now done 3k miles. And it was cleaned and coated with non fling chain lube just before the last two rides.
Contrast it with the plated DID chain that I put on my Africa Twin 11k miles ago. As you can see it has been out in the same mucky conditions.
I have just bought a plated DID gold chain for the Thruxton and will clean up and store the original chain for the next owner. But really I shouldn't have to be forking out £100 to avoid having an eyesore on an otherwise beautiful bike.
Mike

Maybe your chain would last longer in Thailand, where it was probably manufactured.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Clean with kerosene and lube the chain every week (you are?). Buy a DID chain (you have). Fit a Scottoiler, if you can live with the oil fling. Or all three.

Doubt that you can stop rust as you have such high qty of salt on your roads. Be interested to know what happens to your DID chain.

There appears 🤔 to be no such thing as a rustless or rust free drive chain that can be neglected.

Or, visit Fowlers Parts and buy the shaft drive conversion kit (avoid BMW Motorrad as their shaft drives seem to be built to fail), but it will ruin the look of your very pretty motorcycle.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts