Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Thruxton R 2019, Rocket Roadster 2012
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You'd think that Triumph being a British company would fit a chain that would suit the UK's weather. The EK chain fitted to my bike has deteriorated in just two winter rides (227 miles and 180 miles). Each time it was blown dry after the bike had been rinsed. The chain has now done 3k miles. And it was cleaned and coated with non fling chain lube just before the last two rides.
Contrast it with the plated DID chain that I put on my Africa Twin 11k miles ago. As you can see it has been out in the same mucky conditions.
I have just bought a plated DID gold chain for the Thruxton and will clean up and store the original chain for the next owner. But really I shouldn't have to be forking out £100 to avoid having an eyesore on an otherwise beautiful bike.
Mike

·
Registered
2018 Triumph T120 2020 BMW R1250R
1,039 Posts
It does appear more worn than its age! By comparison to your chain, my original EK chain made 30K miles no problem. I replaced it but it still looked good to go for another 10-15K . I'm quite anal about alignment, tension + general upkeep. I use an auto oiler and also live in a mild climate.

Must be tough weather across the pond......
Smile Font Gas Liquid Electric blue

@ 23K miles,

Crankset Bicycle Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire

Automotive tire Gear Motor vehicle Automotive design Wheel

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Just one of the many joys of riding your TTR in the British winter, thats why I don't bother anymore.
I imagine most OEM chains have plain unplated side plates, after cleaning in the winter you need to wipe the sides with an oily rag to keep the corrosion at bay as the chain lube doesn't normally coat them, or just cover it with oil and don't clean it until the spring.
also depends what you use to clean the chain, the solvent type strip any protection, also I used the Sdoc100 cleaner once that you brush on and hose off with water, cleaned the chain brilliantly but the unprotected side plates "flash rusted" in minutes. I use paraffin (kerosene) now and it doesn't rust as much after.
I'll be changing mine for a DID plated chain this year probably when it reaches 20k.

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,889 Posts
Wow that chain does look nasty, modding it and Converting it to belt drive would b an option but the chain is part of the retro look…. FTG

Reactions: MikeS

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just one of the many joys of riding your TTR in the British winter, thats why I don't bother anymore.
I imagine most OEM chains have plain unplated side plates, after cleaning in the winter you need to wipe the sides with an oily rag to keep the corrosion at bay as the chain lube doesn't normally coat them, or just cover it with oil and don't clean it until the spring.
also depends what you use to clean the chain, the solvent type strip any protection, also I used the Sdoc100 cleaner once that you brush on and hose off with water, cleaned the chain brilliantly but the unprotected side plates "flash rusted" in minutes. I use paraffin (kerosene) now and it doesn't rust as much after.
I'll be changing mine for a DID plated chain this year probably when it reaches 20k.
Yeah I use paraffin on mine - in a kettenmax chain cleaner. Then i use this high performance chain lube It says this in the blurb "It was developed for fighting rust via chemical processes and for counteracting jumping-off and counteracting washing-off with water. It builds up an even layer to protect against aggressive substances" 🙄
I apply the lube using one of these grease ninjas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Motorcycle Automotive exhaust

So you can see I try to do the best for the chain, but for heavens sake I can't be doing the whole shebang after every single ride. And the plated chains are fine with me just doing the clean and lube once every 1000 miles even in winter.
Mike

·
Registered
247 Posts
^ Could the paraffin in your cleaning regime actually be exacerbating things... by thoroughly stripping off all the protection of the oil/grease/wax from the end plates, if they're not re-coated completely with a protective film?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
This was my TTR o.e.m. chain at 11,000 mi before I changed it out, it was still good but it had to go...FTG
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle brake Tread

·
Registered
2019 Speedmaster
445 Posts
^ Could the paraffin in your cleaning regime actually be exacerbating things... by thoroughly stripping off all the protection of the oil/grease/wax from the end plates, if they're not re-coated completely with a protective film?
That’s what I was thinking, because holy crap, Batman, that chain looks godawful after such a short period of time(s) and distance(s). It looks like the entire ride was through a one inch layer of winter salt on the road. Can the chain metal be defective?

Reactions: MikeS

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you could have a point Jannerman as the grease ninja is designed to put the lubricant on the edges of the chain rather than the sides, but the plated chains get the same treatment so it makes sense for me just to put a plated chain on
Mike

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mike, I understand your irritation with the corrosion. Whilst nothing like as bad as yours, I found a degree of rust on the side plates and rivet heads after riding in very light rain recently and was really p*ssed off by it! Plus, I haven't ever cleaned my chain off either :mad: Maybe there was still some salt residue on the roads that made things worse, luckily for both of us I think that because it has sealed links it just looks a bit crappy and shouldn't affect it functionally. If/when it gets too bad, I'll replace mine with something plated.
PS. don't half envy @FLY-TRI-GUY & @tahtye ... the chains in your pictures look in better condition than on any new bike I've ever owned... every credit to you guys! (y)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
PS. don't half envy @FLY-TRI-GUY & @tahtye ... the chains in your pictures look in better condition than on any new bike I've ever owned... every credit to you guys!
To be fair they don't live in Yorkshire😁 , keeping a bike clean is easy if it never rains.

Mike, if your going to use it through the winter I would just use an old paintbrush and cover it with gear oil or just engine oil and don't clean it again until the weather improves, yes your back wheel will look a mess but that should be covered with something to protect it anyway, such as acf50, then fit the DID chain in the spring.
Cleaning & lubing the chain is the only job I hate doing on the Thruxton , access seems much worse then any bike I've had, then there's all the shiny bit's to clean up after.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike, I understand your irritation with the corrosion. Whilst nothing like as bad as yours, I found a degree of rust on the side plates and rivet heads after riding in very light rain recently and was really p*ssed off by it! Plus, I haven't ever cleaned my chain off either :mad: Maybe there was still some salt residue on the roads that made things worse, luckily for both of us I think that because it has sealed links it just looks a bit crappy and shouldn't affect it functionally. If/when it gets too bad, I'll replace mine with something plated.
PS. don't half envy @FLY-TRI-GUY & @tahtye ... the chains in your pictures look in better condition than on any new bike I've ever owned... every credit to you guys! (y)
Yeah I agree - I should have said that I didn't think the functionality of the chain was affected, as EK chains are good chains - but without constant attention I reckon rust dust would eventually work its way into the seals. It's just something that I would have thought Triumph would have considered for a luxury bike in the UK market - a plated chain would have cost them probably £20 per bike more. They have used stainless components where others don't and they have spent good money on polished top yokes so it's surprising that they would fit an unplated chain that rusts even in the hands of the most caring guys like FlyTri.
Mike

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To be fair they don't live in Yorkshire😁 , keeping a bike clean is easy if it never rains.

Mike, if your going to use it through the winter I would just use an old paintbrush and cover it with gear oil or just engine oil and don't clean it again until the weather improves, yes your back wheel will look a mess but that should be covered with something to protect it anyway, such as acf50, then fit the DID chain in the spring.
Cleaning & lubing the chain is the only job I hate doing on the Thruxton , access seems much worse then any bike I've had, then there's all the shiny bit's to clean up after.
I think I will put the new gold chain on and see how it copes. I'm finding the other bits of the bike not too bad to keep corrosion-free so far. I have a damp garage and often the bike is covered in droplets of condensation so I check all over the bare alloy parts with a torch and haven't so far found any points of discolouration. I keep a an acf50 cloth in a plastic sandwich bag, and regularly wipe it over the obvious bits. Engine cases, fins etc take about 5 minutes. Wheels take a bit longer but so far that's working well.
I got to know the guy who started AllYearBiker (where they visit your house and mist-spray your bike with acf50). He told me that in his opinion the salt laid down in the winter is not gone off the Yorkshire roads until around the first week in June (depending on how wet May is of course).
Mike

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used to hate it before I bought one of these - even with delivery and taxes it only cost about £22. On my Africa Twin there are two points I can put the hook so that I can turn the chain both ways through the brushes to clean it. So far I've found only one point on the Thruxton, so it doesn't get it quite so clean. I agree it is a very awkward bike to do chain work - even using the laser alignment tool is tricky.
I use paraffin in the device and it doesn't take much - nearly all the mucky clag drops through the pipe at the bottom, but of course the whole device gets pretty dirty so I don't use it for its other advertised purpose which is applying lube. If I did, I'm sure it would lubricate the side plates better and would have avoided the rust on the current chain.
Mike
Kettenmax chain cleaner
Liquid Fluid Automotive lighting Wheel Gas

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
KDX, why did I get rid of the chain, it was to plane and fugly so I wanted a chain to compliment my bike with the rest of my bikes aesthetic mods I did because I intended on doing shows with my TTR so little details like the chain was a must for me....FTG
Tire Wheel Crankset Fuel tank Bicycle tire

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
KDX, why did I get rid of the chain, it was to plane and fugly so I wanted a chain to compliment my bike with the rest of my bikes aesthetic mods I did because I intended on doing shows with my TTR so little details like the chain was a must for me....FTG View attachment 774026
I looked for one of those in the UK but couldn't find any - it does look very nice (wonder if they do it in British Racing Green 🤔) By the way I was slightly nervous that the DID extra heavy duty chain might foul the tyre as the OEM one is so close, but when I measured the two at their widest points they were exactly the same
Mike

1 - 20 of 47 Posts