Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the raised clip-ons that come on the bike be used with the Cafe fairing or must the lower clip-ons be used. Also does anyone know of anywhere I can get the OEM FEK?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
@GTJay

I have the genuine Triumph brand FRK (part# A9708352), just like the one in the eBay link (above)... I had to get mine from eBay, since I live in North America... I installed it myself, as it is very easy to do, and has really good instructions.

And the turn signals I have on my bike are both the Triumph brand short stem ones... They are exactly the same looking for the front and rear... The reason they have two different part #'s is only because the front ones come with longer wires coming out of them... I bought both of mine from eBay as well... Triumph didn't get the turn signals or FRK approved by the North American DOT. I think it's just because people can modify them to 'strobe', like a volunteer fire fighter, etc.
Front signals part # A9838023
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-TRIUMPH-BONNEVILLE-T120-FRONT-SHORTSTEM-LED-INDICATORS-A9838023-/272366520023?hash=item3f6a4f46d7:g:wmYAAOSw~OVW0bFw&vxp=mtr

Rear signals part # A9838039
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-TRIUMPH-BONNEVILLE-T120-REAR-SHORT-STEM-LED-INDICATORS-A9838039-/371730428834?hash=item568cdc33a2:g:4dMAAOSwzgRW0a3W&vxp=mtr

... These two links are the exact place I purchased mine from... They were great to deal with, and refunded me shipping on one set, since they sent them together... And I didn't even have to ask them to do so... They took about a week to get to my door... The two links say they are for the T120, but are the same part numbers for the Thruxtons too, so don't worry... To date, I believe the Triumph brand turn signals and FRK, are the only accessories that North American dealers can not sell. So all others should be easier to purchase.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. Cheers.

Reactions: looseparts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The stock clip ons work fine with fairing.
But not on the standard Thruxton due to the different reservoir, just to avoid any confusion for anyone reading.

OP, if Ebay doesn't work out, you can also order from Jack Lilley Triumph in the UK. That is where I got my FEK, different bike but I imagine he has the Thruxton one as well, or can get it for you, along with the LED indicators not sold here. Fast shipping and he doesn't charge the VAT that Europeans have to pay.

http://www.jacklilley.com/

·
Registered
587 Posts
I got mine from world of triumph in the UK. Super fast shipping and much cheaper than the prices for some of the lesser quality items I'm seeing from the aftermarket.

I did modify my FEK quite a bit to shorten it up and re-position the light for the plate. I like the way it turned out.
I used all of the part numbers listed by sirCuffs above.

I also used the stock bars with my fairing and I'm very happy with the result.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You probably know this but just in case, the Triumph OEM FEK comes in 3 basic pieces, you can leave the centre piece out to bring the number plate closer to the seat.

·
Registered
587 Posts
You probably know this but just in case, the Triumph OEM FEK comes in 3 basic pieces, you can leave the centre piece out to bring the number plate closer to the seat.
Just a little dremeling will fit it perfectly.

I also used the reflector bases to make a new bracket for the plate and position it higher and I relocated the license light above the plate. I had to make a base out of delrin to fit the wavy shape of the bracket. If someone had a 3D printer you could make a much better one than I did shaping it by hand.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
For those that like that kind of thing,I just picked up my newused R. It had the NRC FEC of which I quickly removed and went back to the stock fender, so it is for sale .....also some little front blinkers that I switched back to stock.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Some good information in this OLD thread!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Some good information in this OLD thread!
You're right
First thing I did on mine was remove the centre section of the FEK , and the unnecessary reflectors and ugly number plate light, with an 8x6 plate mounted as high up as possible it's as neat as any aftermarket tail tidy if you want to keep the original lights.
I need to get mine powder coated though as it's a bit of a rust trap if you ride in wet weather.

Reactions: 11201nyc

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
But not on the standard Thruxton due to the different reservoir, just to avoid any confusion for anyone reading.

BMW Motorcycle, Harley-Davidson, Triumph & Porsche Dealers | Lind Group
Well that's not true as I run the stock bars on my Thruxton S, the fairing was fitted to my Thruxton before I brought it new, but it had the low bars on it, after a week or two riding it I wanted the stock bars as my old back couldn't handle the position, but it took just over 2 weeks for my dealer to find my stock bars as I told them they do belong to me, they also said they won't fit, well they do fit and there is plenty of room for the reservoir and there are plenty of others with the Thruxton S with fairing that run the stock bars.

Ashley

1 - 18 of 18 Posts