Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Page 53 of the manual says there are two C spanners under the seat of the Thruxton R.

Am I blind/mad, I can't see 'em?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the heads up regarding adjustment guys.

No spanners with my bike. The 'cubby hole' in the seat is empty and they were not with the other bits & pieces I was handed.

Ill have a chat with my dealer.

I do wonder though if Triumph has stopped giving them out as they appear to be useless??

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Reminds me of a certain Commie-built car I had. The handbook mentioned that the tool kit contained a nice tyre pressure gauge, a mini-grease gun and a tin of touch-up paint. Couldn't find them on mine.

I asked the dealer where mine was and he said no-one had ever seen them, someone at the factory removed them before shipping and sold them on the black market...

·
Registered
177 Posts
I know they may be recalling them, maybe your dealer knew and didn't give them to you. Mine were just in a pouch in my Triumph bag with the manual. Flimsy stamped metal little POS...

·
Registered
31 Posts
They are probably not including them anymore as they do nothing on an R.
Well, they were om my bike and I used them to adjust the spring preload om my shocks. So they work.

But-the manual is all wrong about how to use them to adjust the preload. This isnt a threaded shock like for instance the TTX-MKII and therefor is the upper ring not a lock ring. There are simply three different predefined adjustments for these, with the no 1 being the standard setting with less amount of preload.

Use the two spanners and turn the upper ring clockwise and the lower ring counterclockwise and the rings will separate until they clicks into the second (and after that third) stage. Between the first and second stage, I would estimate that You add about 6 mm of preload to the springs like shown in this post: http://www.triumphrat.net/club-cafe...r-shocks-handbook-is-wrong-2.html#post7830842

So - for me they both worked and were useful, even if I have a couple of other spanners laying in the garage...

·
Registered
485 Posts
The C-Spanners work like the poster above said. It's attached to the underside of the seat.
Mine were with the manual. Others did not receive them at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts