Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, anyone running a wider rear rim with a 180 tire on a new thruxton r?

I'm looking at this set here:
http://www.canyonmotorcycles.com/product-page/thruxton-1200-classic-wide-wheel-kit-stage-1

It comes with offset sprockets, but if you look at the chain on the stock thruxton, offsetting it further out from the bike would make it hit the frame.
Only way this would fit in my mind is if the rear wheel was moved to the left (looking from behind) of the bike, and I'm wondering if that's what they mean by "with correct alignment".
But that can't be good for the ride, can it?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Why are so many people obsess with really wide tyres on bikes, I was at a bike dealership a few months ago and a big Harley was sitting outside it had such a wide tyre on the back and when the owner took off he had troubles trying to turn it the rear wheel just wanted to go straight and the rider was fighting it to get it to turn, to me it just looked dangerous all for looks.

Ashley

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't call a 180 "really wide" or sluggish. Heck, a street triple (as well as 90% of other middleweight street bikes) runs a 180 rear, and it would probably do circles around the thrux.
IMO, a 160 on a 1200 twin looks a bit silly and i wonder if its optimal for the kind of tourque the thruxton dishes out

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
I wouldn't call a 180 "really wide" or sluggish. Heck, a street triple (as well as 90% of other middleweight street bikes) runs a 180 rear, and it would probably do circles around the thrux.
IMO, a 160 on a 1200 twin looks a bit silly and i wonder if its optimal for the kind of tourque the thruxton dishes out

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk
That is because there is a formula that dictates traction while turned in and bikes with more power need a bit more traction. Put a 160 on any of those bikes and they will handle better and turn more quickly but there is a possibility that they could have too much power for the available traction. Its always better handling to go with the narrowest tire that can handle the weight and power - its all a balance and the designers know the sweet spot.

Hey if its important for you to look cool over having a great handling bike then go for it... :wink2:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is because there is a formula that dictates traction while turned in and bikes with more power need a bit more traction. Put a 160 on any of those bikes and they will handle better and turn more quickly but there is a possibility that they could have too much power for the available traction. Its always better handling to go with the narrowest tire that can handle the weight and power - its all a balance and the designers know the sweet spot.

Hey if its important for you too look cool over having a great handling bike then go for it... :wink2:
Well yeah, that's my point exactly. I cant think of any other bike with comparable weight, power and torque figures that's running a 160 rear.
Rninet for example, which is very similar to the thruxton, is also running a 180.
That's why I'm wondering if the 160 is optimal for the thrux.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Isn’t this all a moot point?

As stated above, if one were to go out to their garage or whatever, and simply take a look at the front of the rear tire, one would quickly notice that with the stock 160 tire, the drive chain is already so alarmingly close to touching the the tire’s edge, that even sticking a credit card between to two without making contact with one is nearly impossible. So without some sort of modifications, I would be really surprised if it even could fit a 180 in there, safely.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
How many would know that the water cooled Thruxton was a 1200 just by looking at the engine? Plenty of larger wider boned bikes run smaller tires than one would expect just because of visual proportions. BMW boxers and big twin HD have mostly used rather skinny looking tires. It's only recently that you see 180 tires on these bikes. I remember on the SVRider forum how many wanted the look of the 180 vs the 160. Maybe better for hustling on the track, but never looked appropriate to me for the street. As they say, each to his/her own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts