Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After less than a year, all of the brushed aluminum on my bike looks like sheeeeeit. What do you fine people use for those naughty bits?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Refinished mine with a grey Scotch Brite pad and WD40 as lubricant.
Tried to follow the original brushed lines, and only go in one direction to keep the lines as straight and neat as possible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice work! What thickness/grit of Scotchbrite, and did you take the casings off to do it? I've touched my cases up a little bit (relatively new ride) with a medium grit; couple scratches likely from rocks or something needed addressing...

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Nice work! What thickness/grit of Scotchbrite, and did you take the casings off to do it? I've touched my cases up a little bit (relatively new ride) with a medium grit; couple scratches likely from rocks or something needed addressing...
I used Mirka Mirlon 1500 grey ultra fine scotch-brite, it gives a finish that's close to the original although that really depends how straight you keep the lines, it would be difficult to blend a small area and not be noticeable, you really need to go all out and refinish the whole part if necessary (mine was 3 years old when I bought it).
I removed the sprocket cover but did the engine case in situ, just removed each of the bolts around the top section in turn so I could get in properly, masked off the Triumph logo and removed the round trim cover.

Reactions: Hammerfall81

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just polish them! The brushed finish attracts dirt and corrosion. I gave mine a rub with wet & dry and then buffed them. Much easier to keep clean and to me they look better 'cos I like shiny bits!
20200306_110624.jpeg

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Just polish them! The brushed finish attracts dirt and corrosion. I gave mine a rub with wet & dry and then buffed them. Much easier to keep clean and to me they look better 'cos I like shiny bits!
View attachment 730603
That's another option although you still have to take care of them being bare aluminium and they look great on your bike but wouldn't really suit my TTR as there are fewer chrome or shiny finishes.
I do like polishing though :p

Reactions: Kiwidave4
1 - 6 of 6 Posts