Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in the process of doing some customisation on my TTR,
I tried to fond any commercially available Κit (or instructions) on Airbox removal/delete, but can't find anything for the 1200 R,
all the references are for the 900 Thruxton or T120 Bonnie.
the aim is to accommodate a pair of longer 'Pods' that would sit behind the frame Triangle
any suggestions, directions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
130 Posts
The issue on this model...and someone can correct me if i am wrong... there is alot of electronics and sensors etc attached to the air box. Companies have made air box removal kits. But seem to be only supplying them if they install them in house. A&J cycles are one . So relocate a bunch of electronics and sensors., and a smaller battery i beleive is part of the process ...
Im not mechanically minded at all.. this is just what ive picked up owning a thruxton 1200 and reading.
Maybe find a fabrication shop local to you and work through something with them.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is true, there is a lot 'going on' around the airbox, and indeed all these need to he housed somewhere
I will try to remove it (anyway the bike will be immobile as the clutch & Alt covers will be removed for Powder coating, so I will try to do some trial versions from cardboard
if any option looks plausible, I will try to fabricate one.
it gets quite interesting !!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Good luck with this, it'll be interesting to see your progress, other people have done this conversion so there's no reason why you can't.
Are you going for the fully open triangle Look with pod filters?
Not sure how far all the gubbins under the seat intrudes below the frame rail but a smaller lithium battery would be a good start to free up some space, the Thruxton could do with losing a bit of weight high up as well.
Keep us posted, always applaud people who are willing to have a go themselves.:grin2:

·
Registered
115 Posts
A&J Cycles has done a custom air-box delete in the past, but speaking with them it's a ton of work which includes shavings off mounts on the frame, and repainting it. Here's a photo of the TTR they did it on.

They also sell an Air Pod kit that retains the side covers, and they just cut a hole into them so the pods can fit. It's a nice and clean setup, they did it on my bike.

https://www.ajcyclesny.com/product/sprint-filters-pod-filter-kit-waterproof-triumph-thruxton-r/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts