Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am a new rider, never owned a bike. I want a Thruxton.

Financially it is viable. However, the catch is I am only 18 years of age.

I want to know if I should consider it as a first bike? I've searched the forum and people seem to think it is fine as a first bike.

The UK laws being as they are, this would mean getting it restricted to 33bhp. I don't really have an issue with this, it's probably a good idea. If i wanted to i could be irresponsible and have it removed, breaking the law. I wouldnt intend to do this at first.

What is the point in having a fairly big bike and restricting it? Well, i see it as a long term purchase. This would effectively be my first, second and third bike all in one without the need to change.

My dad has plenty of experience with bikes so i am not totally getting in too deep with it, i do know about them and i do know what i want.

No definitive questions to answer, but your thoughts would be very greatly appreciated; even if you want to call me an immature twat!

Look forward to being a member here.

Jack

·
Registered
709 Posts
Jack,
My first bike was a Honda Super 90, we regarded a 250 as a midsize, and Brando rode a 650 in the movie (ask your Grandad). I had the mindset for years that one should start on a small bike, but I've seen so many people get a Sportster, or bigger, as a first bike, and have no problems at all, that I've changed that opinion.
As you say, it would be nice to be able to buy three progressively bigger bikes, and I'm sure HM Inland Revenue would love to collect the VAT. Your plan makes sense to me.
The Thrux is a stable, nice handling, predictable bike. It has no vices, and if you can stay within your skills envelope, you'll be fine. Trouble is, we tend to get confident before we get competent. Six months in, you may begin to think you're Valentino Rossi, and you ain't. The two things that get young riders in trouble is excess testosterone and overconfidence. Showing off, and ignorance of one's true limits.
The throttle works both ways, and you don't have to use all of it.
Leave at least double the interval you would in a car.
Riding a motorcycle is different. Did you know that, to turn right, you turn the handlebars left? It's true. That's why it's so important to take a good rider safety class. You may learn to avoid lethal mistakes that might never have occurred to you. You can get seriously killed on a motorcycle even if you are doing everything right, so you want to load the odds as much in your favor as possible. It's particularly dangerous in the UK, because you guys ride on the wrong side of the road. :)
How do they restrict the horsepower, intake restrictor plates?
Best,
Redhawk

·
Registered
484 Posts
in the Uk you have to have a restrictor on your bike if youre 18? wow

ive been ridin dirtbikes since i was young and my first road bike was my thrux.(now i had my licese for 5 years and i was 24 and had taken the PA rider safety course)i think you can hurt yourself on any bike. now gettin a 1200cc hyabussa as a 1st bike, thats just stupid but you know what im sayin

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I went from a 50cc Honda Ruckus to my Thruxton. As stated, its all about respecting the bike and your limits.
Bingo . Not the Ruckus part :D ( jus kiddin , ) .

Respect the bike and you're good to go.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wish I would have had the chance of owning a Hinckley Thruxton at 18. I had to wait until I was 36. Go for it...you won't be disappointed. There really isn't anything like it on the road today.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Have you passed your test yet? If not the Thrux could be a handful on the low speed maneouvers (heavy bike/clip ons) but it's no problem, just use one of the schools CB500s or whatever.

Restrictor plates do tend to take a lot of the fun out of a bike, they strangle the top end and, in my opinion, make overtaking more dangerous. Can't remember all the new regs but don't you have to keep them in for 2 years after passing your test if you're under 21?

To be honest, my ex passed her test a couple of years ago and rode around on an unrestricted 60bhp NC30 with no problems. MOst cops don't have a clue about the regs.

Not that I'm suggesting, in any way, that you should do this:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didnt think i would get serious, never mind supportive replies..so thanks guys.

Restrictors. The industry standard supplier is Fi International. I BELIEVE they are litterally just washers with holes in them to restrict air flow. http://www.fiinternational.com

All youve got to do is get an authorised dealer to fit it and sign off the cert. You could do it yourself though, but its the certificate that keeps you out of trouble. But as mentioned, the cops dont have a clue. It comes in handy for insurance companies though.

Yeah, at 16 you can take your CBT course, then at 17 you can go for a restricted liscence. This means you can pass your test on a 125cc and be free to ride any bike up to 25kw (33brake) and power to weight ratio of 0.16. If you are under 21 you have your restriction for the period of 2 years or until your 21st birthday; whichever comes first. I will be 20 when i am unrestricted.

I'm not a fan of these staggered regs but what can i do ;).

To Johnny6035, the actual bike purchase wouldnt be until ive got my full liscence, i estimate about a month/ 2 months away. I would do all the test stuff on someone elses bike.

Thought i would just join the online Triumph family early, get a head start :). Also, i'm gonna need help when i actually buy it!

Cheers.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hi guys,

I am a new rider, never owned a bike. I want a Thruxton.

Financially it is viable. However, the catch is I am only 18 years of age.

I want to know if I should consider it as a first bike? I've searched the forum and people seem to think it is fine as a first bike.

The UK laws being as they are, this would mean getting it restricted to 33bhp. I don't really have an issue with this, it's probably a good idea. If i wanted to i could be irresponsible and have it removed, breaking the law. I wouldnt intend to do this at first.

What is the point in having a fairly big bike and restricting it? Well, i see it as a long term purchase. This would effectively be my first, second and third bike all in one without the need to change.

My dad has plenty of experience with bikes so i am not totally getting in too deep with it, i do know about them and i do know what i want.

No definitive questions to answer, but your thoughts would be very greatly appreciated; even if you want to call me an immature twat!

Look forward to being a member here.

Jack
I think this is a great first bike. At 28 years old it was my first bike. That was a little more than a year ago and I haven't ridden anything else except some older Suzuki 250 the was used during my motorcycle safety course training. Going from the 250 to the Thruxton did not feel or seem like a giant leap or make it difficult to handle. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts